Brian Ghidinelli

Brian Ghidinelli

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 465 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:12
Assuming you've got a finger width or so off the bumpstops, how much camber can you guys get out of your NBs? I'm finding the car maxes out up front before it gets to 3" and one side is a little less than the other.
Before I bought the car, it had a light front left hit. The car was repaired with effectively a new fender and presumably UCA or LCA (they aren't obviously bent). The hood gaps and frame rails look nice and straight but what's interesting is that it's actually the right hand side that can't get as much camber. Does anyone know what the dimensions should be from various points on the subframe like the tool that Dave Wheeler sells?

If I'm having problems getting camber from one side to the other; what are the likely culprits? Control arms, uprights, subframe? All new parts cost about $1k from Mazda but I'd hate to replace them and find out I have the same situation because "some cars are just that way" or maybe the frame is bent a tiny amount. I don't know where to start the diagnosis to rule things out. Thanks!
Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Keith Novak

Keith Novak

Steadily Improving Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts
  • Region:Northwest/Oregon
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:88
Too little camber is likely the lower control arms. They don't have to look obviously bent. Mine maxed out at 1.9 and didn't look bent (to me). Replaced the LCA and it took 3.5*
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35
I am not sure you have a problem but first as to your question of the frame the only way to get that for sue is put it on a frame machine. Make friends with a body shop Like i did. I just try not to keep them to busy.

On the Camber i run my ride height lower that many, at 4.5 inches and at that point the most camber I can get up front is -2.5 on the left and about 2.4 on the right. If you can get close to -3 without bending something then your doing pretty well. Of course I am not jacking the Caster up either I go no more that 5.7 on the caster. Your ride height and case will have an influence on your Camber. Maybe some others can do better in a 1999, but 2.5 was the best I could muster with non bent parts.(i am talking Front Camber, the Rear I can get closer to 3)

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Brian Ghidinelli

Brian Ghidinelli

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 465 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:12
Thanks guys... I'd love to hear from some more folks if this is "normal"? Obviously Keith got 3.5. Curious what the practical upper limit is.
Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Niklas Falk

Niklas Falk

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Car Number:55
On the old site I think there was an old comment about "normal". You could use a pry-bar to get max camber but you can also use a Porta-Power, or even bigger hydraulics.
Slightly out of spec UCA also helps (by accident or parts binning of course)...

In my community 1.8-2.3 seems to be practical max for a NB with decent arms (but remember we are not Spec at all in the same way). I run 3.3 with (for us legal) modified LCA ("worn" ball joint mounts).
3.5 (on both sides front) sound to me that more than one measurement is "close" to Factory Spec (Tech shed legal is another thing).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users