SCCA_Racer

SCCA_Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Region:San Fransisco
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:01
I have read through Daniels setup guide and I was curious how many threads should be showing at the bottom of the coilover. I know Daniels says how low the car is suppose to be but I want the car close when I set it down for the first time. A measurement or number of threads showing would be greatly appreciated. For some reason I recall somewhere I read 1-1/2" should be showing at the bottom.
Thanks
Joshua Fine
Sealed Spec Miata (SCCA)
Posted Image
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Bruce Wilson

Bruce Wilson

Gold Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts
  • Region:Oregon
  • Car Number:68
Mine are all between 1-1/16" (front) and 1-1/8" (rear). That is on a fairly new unbent car that was caged on a frame jig, so your mileage may vary.

-bw

I have an opinion so I must be right

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Survivalist - Won 25 Hours at Thunderhill! We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995
It will depend a little on the bumpstops you have. We have the fatcat and our setup guy likes to leave a finger width between the top of the shock and the bottom of the bumpstop...about 3/4"(under load). This leaves about 1" below the collar for us.

When we first started I was told by a racer who is now pro to leave 7/8"...not sure if this was mazda supplied or fatcat bumps.

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Mtaylor

Mtaylor

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Region:FL
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:97
1" t0 7/8 in the rear with Fatcats, a little less in the front, I know the guide says no rake but I find the car rotates better with a little rake.
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Glenn

Glenn

Mid Pack Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • Region:SE

I know the guide says no rake but I find the car rotates better with a little rake.

Definatly a function of track, and driver. Last week at Homestead, I had 2 cars with OPPOSITE set-ups both drivers were very happy!.

Glenn Murphey, Crew Chief
Owner Crew Chief Services The Pinnacle of Excellence, Contract Crew Services for the racing community.
Soon to be back in the club racing scene for good ;)

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Mtaylor

Mtaylor

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Region:FL
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:97

Definatly a function of track, and driver. Last week at Homestead, I had 2 cars with OPPOSITE set-ups both drivers were very happy!.

That is very true, and if you find the correct setup for you and the track it's a good thing. I followed some more exerienced sm'er and raise the rake on my car at a recent nasa/ PBIR race and with the decreasing radius turns I knocked a good 3/4 to 1 sec. a lap off my times.

That said, I now feel correct setup for each track is super important, rather than leaving the car alone on a general baseline.
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

SCCA_Racer

SCCA_Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Region:San Fransisco
  • Car Number:01
Yes I am going to be running the FCM bump stop kit with 99 hats all the way around. Thanks guys for giving me some base line measurements to start with be fore I set the car down off the jack stands.
Joshua Fine
Sealed Spec Miata (SCCA)
Posted Image
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users