1 reply to this topic

Sphinx

Sphinx

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts
  • Region:ATL
I had a chance to drive AMP this last weekend. I didn't get as much track time as I would have liked, but that was my fault. I've uploaded a video of a lap:

I wasn't out to break any lap records and was running on 6 year old Toyos.

Noise is a major consideration at this track, but I managed to avoid the sound police. My car ran 98db which is the limit by ordinance (1.6L w/ Springfield exhaust).

The track is a lot of fun, very technical with one major hp section. I would divide the track into three sections.

First section: at the stripe, you approach the track from driver's right to set up for T1. It is a downhill braking zone. In front is a gravel trap and getting the car slowed down is a challenge, not helped by the slope of the track. T1 is a 2nd gear, throw-away, turn. Low percentage moves will get a person into the gravel trap.

You drive through T2 at full thottle and brake before T3 to set up for T4. Swing it wide from driver's right to the L edge of the track. Hold the left edge and jump over T5's curbing diving for T6. REminds me of the chute at Summit Point. BRake hard, grab 2nd gear and go up the hill.

Second section: I consider T7, 8, 9 to be one turn. Shift to 3rd and don't bother shifting to 4th. Set up for the L at T10, classic to late apex and carry lots of speed, track out to the right and stay WOT aiming for the corner worker's tent all the way on the left. Medium braking just to get the car turned. The R-hander T11 is actually a dip and going up the hill. The hill kills your momentum. You'll hold 3rd gear till you get to the top of the hill.

Third section, tap the brakes (going to experiment next time with just lifting), 2nd gear, and enter the last section T12 to T15. IMO, this is actually one gigantic triple apex turn. I think that the fast guys will be able to get to full throttle quickly and hold on for a really long left hand sweeper. It will be interesting to see if passing can occur there as the track goes off-camber and it's a little bumpy going throught there. Then the track climbs uphill and onto the front straight. T16 is right hander that leads you to the front straight.

My overall impression is that the track doesn't give you any time to take a deep breath. You're constantly doing something, turning, shifting, etc. The time on the front straight barely lets you check your gauges. You spend a good bit of time looking out the side windows. The track is kind of a cross between Lime Rock and Barber. Elements like zig-zag and the downhill at LRP and Barber's compact nature and the last section that leads to the front straight.

RussMcB

RussMcB

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • Region:SEDiv
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:57
I drove it earlier this year. I earned a test day by helping stack tires when they were getting the track ready.

It was a lot of fun, but I don't think they'll ever have W2W racing there, for several reasons. The sound limitations would be a challenge for most classes, and it just isn't laid out to be a race track. One thing I noticed - a team's crew on pit road cannot see their car go by, so wouldn't be able to use a stop watch or show a pit sign to their driver. I guess they just weren't thinking it would be used for racing, but rather track days for fast street cars.

I thought it was interesting that AMP's top speed was a little higher than Barber's.

My video is here:

Racer Russ
Marietta, GA
Former SM racer (now back in a formula car)

Barber 2013 Topless

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users