bigsmittyJAS

bigsmittyJAS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Region:Houston
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:85
This is a little out there and I assume I will be berated for asking, but here goes. I am going to take my SM car out to the Salt Flats for Speed week this year (lifelong dream) and they require a driveshaft safety loop (360 degree, 1/4" thick x 1" wide). Has anyone ever done this? I have a few ideas, but I'd rather plagarize off someone else if there is something out there. Thanks

Jeff
Jeff Smith

Doug007

Doug007

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  • Region:TX
I don't think there have been many SMs out on the salt. What are you hoping for speed wise?

I see some fabrication in your future. The power plant frame would be a good place to mount to...

KentCarter

KentCarter

Future Never Has Been

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Number:91
I'd just buy one off of Summitt or Jegs and bolt it to the floor pan.
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

bigsmittyJAS

bigsmittyJAS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23 posts
I did buy one from Jegs and it is giagundus....definitely not designed for Miatas, more like F bodies. I think what I am going to do is just box in the frame structure between the trans and the diff. I think that will meet the intent of the rule. I just was thinking that there might be someone else out there that had skinned this cat.

We are going into the 130 MPH class, but this is more about the experience than anything else. That is what I really love about racing anyway: new tracks, new people, new experiences.
  • Joe (dad) Jordan likes this
Jeff Smith

Cnj

Cnj

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 487 posts
  • Region:Sw
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:32
Try speaking to Team MER in Cresson, Tx. I believe they did this for thier MX5 Cup cars.

Cnj
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

KentCarter

KentCarter

Future Never Has Been

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Number:91

Try speaking to Team MER in Cresson, Tx. I believe they did this for thier MX5 Cup cars.

Cnj

Yes, after there was a question about whether a damaged drive shaft resulted in the gigantic fire/explosion that injured Charles Espenlaub.
http://grassrootsmot.../fighting-fire/
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

bigsmittyJAS

bigsmittyJAS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23 posts

Cnj

Cool! Thanks
Jeff Smith

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
  • Region:LVR
I've done loops but not for the SM and not 1/4" flat stock. Ours were 1/8" x 1" flat stock, fabbed with either a press or roller. It's SOP in short track.

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99
bolt strap arounf drive shaft on the drive train beam beam. its simple to do, I did it on my nasa PTE car... not a big deal

K. Webb