• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

Terry Hanushek

Terry Hanushek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts
  • Region:South Jersey
The Jersey Racing Board (Northern New Jersey and South Jersey regions) will be conducting a NARRC - NJRRS championship series event at New Jersey Motorsports Park. This event is the Summer Thunder regional races on the Thunderbolt course on 18-19 August. The weekend will also feature the Jersey Touring Car Challenge and the TreadZone Pro IT Round 7.

There will be a separate SCCA Test Day on Friday, 17 August on the Thunderbolt course.

Online registration is now open at on the DLB site - Select South Jersey Region as the Club to see the event calender.

Supps and Schedule ... Register ... Entry List

Terry

Posted Image

Terry Whitlock

Terry Whitlock

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • Region:Buccaneer
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:36
Just need clarification as to the tire rules for the event. Checked Supps but still came away without a clear understanding.

SM Only Hoosier Tire SM2 Only Hoosier Tire SSM Only Toyo

Anyway to decline point/finishing position and run Toyo RA-1's in SM and SM2? Don't have budget for a set of Hoosier tires, but would like to maximize the weekend by double dipping. However, it appears that SSM is our only option based on 2012 NESCCA tire rules.

Terry Hanushek

Terry Hanushek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts
Terry

I'm not sure what class(es) you are interested in but here are the SM tire rules for Summer Thunder

SM (per Supp Reg 7b): "The spec tires for SM are the Toyo RA-1, Toyo R888 and Hoosier SM6, 205-50 R15, shaved or unshaved. Hoosier H2O rain tires are permitted, if conditions warrant.".

SM2 is the same since SM2 includes 1990-1997 Miatas prepared to SM specifications

SSM (per NEDiv rules): "The spec tires are the Toyo RA-1, Toyo R888 and Hoosier SM6 205-50-15, shaved or unshaved. Hoosier H2O rain tires are permitted, if conditions warrant.".

You can run RA-1's in all three classes without buying additional tires or compromising points.

HTH

Terry

Terry Whitlock

Terry Whitlock

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • Region:Buccaneer
  • Car Number:36
Great news, my son Rob is already entered in SM and SM2. He is using up my old Toyo RA-1's that I can no longer use here in the SEDIV. Thanks for your quick response and the region's flexibility. See you at the track.

Justin Baltrucki

Justin Baltrucki

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Region:NER
  • Car Number:54

Terry

I'm not sure what class(es) you are interested in but here are the SM tire rules for Summer Thunder

SM (per Supp Reg 7b): "The spec tires for SM are the Toyo RA-1, Toyo R888 and Hoosier SM6, 205-50 R15, shaved or unshaved. Hoosier H2O rain tires are permitted, if conditions warrant.".

SM2 is the same since SM2 includes 1990-1997 Miatas prepared to SM specifications

SSM (per NEDiv rules): "The spec tires are the Toyo RA-1, Toyo R888 and Hoosier SM6 205-50-15, shaved or unshaved. Hoosier H2O rain tires are permitted, if conditions warrant.".

You can run RA-1's in all three classes without buying additional tires or compromising points.

HTH

Terry

SSM rule for NeDiv just as shown above - there is some confusion as I was told by a few people that my SM6 hoosiers were illegal in SSM. They are legal for 2012.
http://www.nediv.com...012ssmspecs.pdf

Terry Hanushek

Terry Hanushek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts
Justin

SSM rule for NeDiv just as shown above - there is some confusion as I was told by a few people that my SM6 hoosiers were illegal in SSM. They are legal for 2012.
http://www.nediv.com...012ssmspecs.pdf

To be safe, you need to look at the supps for the specific race. Most (but not all) tracks in NEDiv use the NEDiv rules that we referenced. Summit Point uses a WDCR rule which only permits Toyo RA-1. I believe NJMP, Lime Rock, NHMS and Watkins Glen all use the broader NEDiv rule. So the answer is "It depends .. "

HTH

Terry

Cy Peake

Cy Peake

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:7
The dropoff in entries is going to occur next season if the option to run Toyos disappears (and Hoosiers become the sole legal tire that the National guys have cursed us Regional racers with). I had to cut my schedule in half this season because I can't afford new/good tires every 8 heat cycles, and what's the point in running for 10-15th place on used up Hoosiers? Thus why I'm not at Thunderbolt this weekend having fun. Introducing the Hoosier option was the worst thing that could have happened to the budget-conscious regional racer.

-Cy
Supported by LTD Racing

2011 + 2013 NER STU Champion

Kevin Anderson

Kevin Anderson

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Region:NYR
  • Car Number:22
I can't even get 8 competitive heat cycles. Afraid to go over 6. I also believe the toyos were much more economical tire. I am annoyed by the mass of people that begged for this tire for so long. Granted it is a faster tire, but who cares if we are all on the same tire. Even the rain tire is a huge expense, if the track starts to dry these will be torn up very quickly.
Kevin Anderson
Kevin@techsportracing.com
www.techsportracing.com

DrDomm

DrDomm

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:46
I complained about the Hoosiers on the main forum months ago. Some of the support for them was that they don't need to be shaved, and Hoosier's presence at the track saves on (Toyo)shipping charges for some people. I rented last year, so I don't know much about the nuances of the Toyos. My limited experience was that the worn (nearly bald) ones were easier to drive. If this is the case, is it possible that the Toyos and Hoosiers have the same overall effectiveness...but the Hoosiers get it at the beginning of their life, while the Toyos at the end?

I find the break-in method for the Hoosiers to be a nuisance. You have to give up track time just to prepare tires. I did not do this with my 1st set, and they were junk by the 10th heat cycle. There's so much rubber on them, it seems a shame to throw them away. Perhaps an enduro.
Domm Leuci
--because someone commented that we should all post our names, and not be anonymous. I agree.
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

ner88

ner88

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  • Region:NER/CFR
  • Car Number:98
On a regional level we have the option of any tire we agree on. So, if you want to continue using Toyos, we can. If you want us to "only run Toyos" we could...but The division can not tell the regions what tire to run.
I should add that most of the regions, in the division, work together, as most drivers run in more than one region and having different tire rules for each would be way to confusing!

Justin Baltrucki

Justin Baltrucki

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
Had a great time at this event. Qualified poorly in the wet. 24th of 46.
Had an awesome start with crazy action everywhere. Ended up first in SSM. 10th overall on sat.

Sunday was a tough start with some agricultural lines through turn 3, and dropping back to ~ 5th and clawing back to first mid way through the race. Ended up dropping back to 3rd when i overcooked the rear tires and the car started to get loose on me. ~11 heat cycles on the hoosiers. Best back and forth racing I have had this season in SSM we had a nice pack in group 2.

Here's the video -

Cy Peake

Cy Peake

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
  • Car Number:7
Jerry: all of LTD votes for "Toyos only," as we can't afford to run the Hoosiers as frequently while still remaining competitive. While this is obviously a rich man's sport, I hope that future decisions won't be made to make it more so than it already is.

-Cy
Supported by LTD Racing

2011 + 2013 NER STU Champion

DrDomm

DrDomm

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:46
This isn't supposed to be a Tire Thread, but I don't think Regions should mandate a tire that is different than the mandated National tire. Either leave it "open" or be consistent. Having different tire requirements truly will make it a rich man's sport.
Domm Leuci
--because someone commented that we should all post our names, and not be anonymous. I agree.
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

ner88

ner88

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  • Region:NER/CFR
  • Car Number:98
That's why I added "but". If you had Toyos only and the "rich" guys all shave them to....1/32 and only run them once because they are faster, do we then require a tread depth?
The "rich guy" will always be the guy that spends more mony than me and...he's already cheating (he must be, he's faster than me)

srollo

srollo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Region:WDC
Best back and forth racing I have had this season in SSM we had a nice pack in group 2.

Definitely was a good pack. It was a pleasure racing with you and the other NARRC drivers this weekend. Hopefully next year will be as fun and maybe we get some more SSM cars.

Justin Baltrucki

Justin Baltrucki

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
Steve, It was nice meeting you and the rest of the SSM guys from out of my region. Nice group you have there.
Hoep we can get an even bigger field next year. - Congrats again on the win - great driving.

I just uploaded the Saturday race - I sucked at the start ran 3rd gear and it just didn't pull very hard.
1st to 3rd by turn 1 - very nice to see the SSM guys all bunched together despite the 46 car field.
Some good off roading in here - putting my SCCA rallycross experience to work.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: NJMP, NARRC, NJRRS, Pro IT

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users