Garrett Richardson

Garrett Richardson

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Region:Central Florida
  • Car Year:1993
  • Car Number:130
I have a question about the Bilstien shocks that the Spec Miatas use. When I went to Bilsteins website I was unable to find the HD shocks for the Miata and since I am a newbie in SM I cant figure out id the HD shocks are the same as the B6 shocks on Bilsteins website? Any help would be much appreciated!

Jason J Ball

Jason J Ball

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
  • Region:NASA-SE
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:15
Get your shocks direct from Mazdaspeed or one of the site spnsors. Anywhere else is suspect.
  • john mueller and Alberto like this
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

john mueller

john mueller

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts
Part numbers are specified in the rules of NASA & SCCA...

FRONT
  • 0000-04-5225-BL (Mazdaspeed part number)
  • F4-B46-1488-H1
REAR:
  • 0000-04-5226-BL (Mazdaspeed part number)
  • F4-B46-1489-H0
But IMO you should get them from one of the many vendors who support SM racing or Mazdaspeed, you'll get a better price too..

For instance, Weekend-Racer.com has a few sets on the shelf all ready to go.
  • Glenn likes this
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Glenn

Glenn

Mid Pack Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • Region:SE

For instance, Weekend-Racer.com has a few sets on the shelf all ready to go.

Cheap plug......hehe
  • john mueller likes this

Glenn Murphey, Crew Chief
Owner Crew Chief Services The Pinnacle of Excellence, Contract Crew Services for the racing community.
Soon to be back in the club racing scene for good ;)

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
  • Region:LVR
It's difficult to find the right part and a price more competitive than Mazdaspeed or SM specific dealers. If you're building for SM you'll need the Eibach springs and bars, coil over kit, etc. I couldn't find anyone to beat Mazdaspeed for the kit though some SM specific dealers/builders sell the kit at the same price. Unless you are an Eibach and Bilstein dealer I'd bet you won't find a better price.

Info on joining Mazdaspeed. They'll give you a year to build your car while you are able to buy discounted factory parts. After that you'll need to log 2 races per year. You'll need pics of your donor or completed car and an SCCA or NASA membership.

http://www.mazdamoto...bershipinfo.htm
  • john mueller likes this

john mueller

john mueller

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

It's difficult to find the right part and a price more competitive than Mazdaspeed or SM specific dealers. If you're building for SM you'll need the Eibach springs and bars, coil over kit, etc. I couldn't find anyone to beat Mazdaspeed for the kit though some SM specific dealers/builders sell the kit at the same price. Unless you are an Eibach and Bilstein dealer I'd bet you won't find a better price.

http://www.mazdamoto...bershipinfo.htm

Really, sign-up if you haven't already...
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

DrDomm

DrDomm

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts
  • Region:NER
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:46
How long are the shock good for? How would you know if one is "bad"?
Domm Leuci
--because someone commented that we should all post our names, and not be anonymous. I agree.
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

john mueller

john mueller

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

How long are the shock good for? How would you know if one is "bad"?

It's not a question of time, it's a question of use... Vigorous use of curbing and exciting trips off the racing surface speed the need to replace/rebuild. Obvious things to look for are leaking oil and crushed rubber bushings.

Alberto

Alberto

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Region:SFR
  • Car Year:1990
I'm probably going to start having my shocks dyno'ed on a shock dyno in the off-season to try and determine if they need a rebuild. Thankfully, I have a couple of good places to go for shock dyno'ing locally - including Fat Cat Motorsports. I think it's $10-20 a shock. If I had done that this last off-season, I would have found that one of my one season old shocks was blown.

Instead of catching the blown shock early, we caught it when I took my car in for corner balancing. At that point, either I buy a new shock from TFB who luckily had one in stock or go home and pay for another corner balance and alignment another day.

Remember that shocks utilize oil in order to function. Oil breaks down from usage and heat. Track usage wears out shocks far quicker than anything you might have experience with on the street.
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Suspension, Bilstein, shocks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users