MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:22
As many have noticed posts have become quite negative in the last 6 months or maybe even longer, I have been guilty of the negativity as anyone. My friend Chris Haldmen suggested, and I agree with him,that we should start a thread that accentuates the positives of our sport and specifically our class.

5. You could not find a better group of people to help you when you are down on your luck and need a hand getting a car ready for the next race.

4. You get to meet people from all over the country who share a common bond, warriors who risk their health and lives to go as fast as they can.

3. IMHO no better class to race for pure enjoyment or as training for a future in auto racing.

2. Great handling little cars that are an absolute blast to throw around a track.

1. I get to race with some of the best racers in the country , amature or professional, men and women whom I respect tremendously.

That is my fab 5 today, in a couple years it may be different, but we are truly blessed to get to race these little chick cars. Thnk you SCCA, NASA.... And every other sanctioning body that lets us have at it.
  • john mueller, chris haldeman, David L and 4 others like this
Shattering - For those who cant drink tequila NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Majors Winner - Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Number:22
I forgot the most important one. I get to spend time with my father whom I love and respect very much.
Shattering - For those who cant drink tequila NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Majors Winner - Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

David L

David L

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
  • Region:WDCR
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:29
:D X2
You've been served - Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Boemler

Jim Boemler

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 852 posts
  • Region:NWR
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:30
Great topic. I haven't thought about "top 5" or anything, but three out of your five could be condensed to "It's the people", and I agree entirely. The other big positive for me was that the class allowed me to race at all. I've wanted to race all my life, but SM was what finally made the pieces come together for me. I heard about the class, and two weeks later I owned the car. If it wasn't for SM I probably would never have raced at all.
  • chris haldeman and screaming monkey like this

Keith Andrews

Keith Andrews

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts
  • Region:CCR, SE
  • Car Number:26
I agree with your top 5. I would add Mazda Motorsports. To have manufacture support as a club racer is just amazing to me. The whole SM program is hard to match.
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Cnj

Cnj

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 487 posts
  • Region:Sw
  • Car Number:32
5. I get to act like a kid with no responsibilities - even though lifes reality crowds back in quickly enough. A total mental cleanser. My wife is an angel for letting me get away with this.

4. I get whipped by really good drivers and in a masochistic way, enjoy the experience - versus beating up on average drivers in another less competitive class, which is strangely unsatisfying.

3. I get to develop creative new ways to explain to friends I race Spec Miata without using the word Miata (chick car connotation).

2. I get to learn to really trust other drivers and enjoy the adrenaline rush of 3 consecutive corners taken side by side with no contact.

1. I get to make valued friends and have a blast.

Cnj
  • KentCarter and MPR22 like this
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Tom Sager

Tom Sager

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:94
In no particular order....

1. We drive on some of the best courses on the planet, the same as pro's in many cases.
2. Great group of people with a variety of backgrounds, professions and personalities.
3. SCCA and NASA (and Midwestern Council in my area) put on well organized events and the value received for the entry fee paid is quite good IMO.
4. Spec Miata really puts one to the test. Highly competitive and rewarding.
5. Racing certainly has risks but our class has a very good safety record.
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:91
1. Competition
2. Competition
3. Competition
4. Competition
5. Competition
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Todd Tagget

Todd Tagget

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 441 posts
  • Region:SFR
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:42
Chicks dig guys who race chick cars!

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995
1. Friends
2. New friends
3. Old friends
4. My wife isn't a track fan :whistling:
5. Allows me to be a proud dad!(not that I'm not already!Just a bonus!)

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Alberto

Alberto

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
The people
The fun car
The competition
the adrenaline
the escape from reality

Race Engineering

Race Engineering

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts
  • Region:SE
  • Car Number:48
cool thread. :thumbsup:

Chris Graham
Race Engineering - Championship Proven
(864) 542-4018 chris@raceengineering.org

Glenn

Glenn

Mid Pack Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • Region:SE
All of the above plus the chance to meet/know/work with all of you GREAT folks!
  • john mueller and screaming monkey like this

Glenn Murphey, Crew Chief
Owner Crew Chief Services The Pinnacle of Excellence, Contract Crew Services for the racing community.
Soon to be back in the club racing scene for good ;)

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Mike Collins

Mike Collins

Big Cheese

• Moderators
  • 1,262 posts
  • Region:Washington DC
  • Car Number:75
I will probably have multiple list.....

* February 2003 roebling road drivers school ( it was and is a who's who of SM)
* The ARRC
* SpecMiata.com (long before mazdaracers)
* The tent party in Topeka at the very first SM runoffs
* Crunch all you want...Mazda made 800,000 of these. We will never run out of parts...
Mike "MEATHEAD" Collins
Founder - Partner
MEATHEADRacing
240-476-1593

www.meatheadracing.com
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Sugar Daddy - Made PayPal donation of $500+ Donor - Made PayPal donation Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. MX5 Cup Participant - Has Participated in a MX5Cup.com Series Event Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

Steve D

Steve D

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • Region:Atlanta
  • Car Number:30
1. Drago - If that sumbitch can have success in this class by overcoming natural deficits through hard work... hale, any of us can. :spin:

2. Fowler - He eats expired jelly and can't heel/toe, but the guy provides damn fine trackside service and builds cars that are dead nuts reliable. And fights for the win when he actually gets a chance to get behind the wheel.

3. Charbonneau - Singlehandedly proving that understanding WTF another human being is trying to say is overrated.

4. The guy who comes over after the race, fresh from an epic battle (for 1st, 15th, or 43rd), with a huge grin and no dents in his car and says "That was f*cking awesome!! I'd go side by side with you any day. Let's do that again tomorrow."

5. Lance, Creighton, SMAC members, timing/scoring, and all the other volunteers and/or woefully undercompensated folks who -- solely for the love of racing -- come out and make it possible for middle aged dudes like me to get on track, only to drive like a monkey f*cking a football.
  • john mueller, MazdaSteve, Jason J Ball and 4 others like this

Steve DeVinney
Retired mediocre driver

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts
6. Retirement money?!? I don't need no steeeen-king retirement money! :)
2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Number:14

6. Retirement money?!? I don't need no steeeen-king retirement money! :)

One day when both my sons were around, one of them viewed a completed SCCA event entrie form laying on a table. He asked, dad whose your sponsor SFI? Response, Sons Inheritance Fund. :o

Reasons I love Spec Miata:

People x 5 including there site personalities. :peace1:
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

DrDomm

DrDomm

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts
  • Region:NER
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:46
Great idea, this thread...tons of great responses above (the tracks, the cars, the people, competition, the forum, etc.)

Let me add all the "rental teams". My great experience was with Flatout, but Planet, Meathead, and all the others allow guys to get into racing prior to the commitment of purchasing a car. This is a great opportunity for many of us. Likewise, all these teams are a useful resource even after purchasing and maintaining a car. Thanks.
  • Glenn likes this
Domm Leuci
--because someone commented that we should all post our names, and not be anonymous. I agree.
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

granracing

granracing

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
There are many reasons to love Club Racing which were already mentioned. Coming from Improved Touring...

With a Miata, the biggest maintenance that I need to complete between sessions (with a well prepped car) is cleaning it. Nice.
Tons of other racers running the same car, thus a large parts supply resource
My wife and son think that Spec Miata is the most entertaining group to watch. Hey, they like actiion. LOL
An easy car to drive to 98%. Also easier on consumables than most cars.
When everything goes wrong and I thought the car would be in the wall, the Miata takes over and somehow saves itself.
Dave Gran
Want to learn how to begin racing, tips on building / buying a racecar,
becoming a front-running drive, or get vehicle reviews
from a motorsports enthusiast perspective? Visit our free site:
GoAheadTakeTheWheel.com

CARacer

CARacer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Car Year:1991
The car is fun to drive.

The car's street legal and I can drive it to the track. I don't need a truck and a trailer.

At least with a 1.6 in SFR, I can double dip in ITA with no changes to the car.

There's always someone (or multiple someones) willing and wanting to help - at the track, on the forums, at home during the week. A great community.

I've made some great friends and, as much as the racing, I look forward to race weekends 'cuz I get to hang out with them - chillaxing in the pits, battling on the track, watching Sprint cars at the dirt track, going out to dinner, and jumping in the pool at the hotel.

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users