Top 5 reasons you love Spec Miata
Posted 08-09-2012 08:07 PM
5. You could not find a better group of people to help you when you are down on your luck and need a hand getting a car ready for the next race.
4. You get to meet people from all over the country who share a common bond, warriors who risk their health and lives to go as fast as they can.
3. IMHO no better class to race for pure enjoyment or as training for a future in auto racing.
2. Great handling little cars that are an absolute blast to throw around a track.
1. I get to race with some of the best racers in the country , amature or professional, men and women whom I respect tremendously.
That is my fab 5 today, in a couple years it may be different, but we are truly blessed to get to race these little chick cars. Thnk you SCCA, NASA.... And every other sanctioning body that lets us have at it.
- john mueller, chris haldeman, David L and 4 others like this
Posted 08-09-2012 08:29 PM
- chris haldeman and screaming monkey like this
Posted 08-09-2012 08:52 PM
4. I get whipped by really good drivers and in a masochistic way, enjoy the experience - versus beating up on average drivers in another less competitive class, which is strangely unsatisfying.
3. I get to develop creative new ways to explain to friends I race Spec Miata without using the word Miata (chick car connotation).
2. I get to learn to really trust other drivers and enjoy the adrenaline rush of 3 consecutive corners taken side by side with no contact.
1. I get to make valued friends and have a blast.
- KentCarter and MPR22 like this
Posted 08-09-2012 08:56 PM
1. We drive on some of the best courses on the planet, the same as pro's in many cases.
2. Great group of people with a variety of backgrounds, professions and personalities.
3. SCCA and NASA (and Midwestern Council in my area) put on well organized events and the value received for the entry fee paid is quite good IMO.
4. Spec Miata really puts one to the test. Highly competitive and rewarding.
5. Racing certainly has risks but our class has a very good safety record.
Posted 08-09-2012 10:40 PM
2. New friends
3. Old friends
4. My wife isn't a track fan
5. Allows me to be a proud dad!(not that I'm not already!Just a bonus!)
2014 NASA SM Western States Champion(Car owner)
2015 NASA 25HR E3 Champion(Car owner)
2016 NASA 25HR E3 Champion(Car owner)
2017 NASA 25HR E3 Champion(Car owner)
2017 NASA NORCAL SM Series Director
Posted 08-10-2012 06:04 AM
- john mueller and screaming monkey like this
Glenn Murphey, Crew Chief
Owner Crew Chief Services The Pinnacle of Excellence, Contract Crew Services for the racing community.
Soon to be back in the club racing scene for good
Posted 08-10-2012 07:16 AM
* February 2003 roebling road drivers school ( it was and is a who's who of SM)
* The ARRC
* SpecMiata.com (long before mazdaracers)
* The tent party in Topeka at the very first SM runoffs
* Crunch all you want...Mazda made 800,000 of these. We will never run out of parts...
Founder - Partner
Posted 08-10-2012 07:22 AM
2. Fowler - He eats expired jelly and can't heel/toe, but the guy provides damn fine trackside service and builds cars that are dead nuts reliable. And fights for the win when he actually gets a chance to get behind the wheel.
3. Charbonneau - Singlehandedly proving that understanding WTF another human being is trying to say is overrated.
4. The guy who comes over after the race, fresh from an epic battle (for 1st, 15th, or 43rd), with a huge grin and no dents in his car and says "That was f*cking awesome!! I'd go side by side with you any day. Let's do that again tomorrow."
5. Lance, Creighton, SMAC members, timing/scoring, and all the other volunteers and/or woefully undercompensated folks who -- solely for the love of racing -- come out and make it possible for middle aged dudes like me to get on track, only to drive like a monkey f*cking a football.
- john mueller, MazdaSteve, Jason J Ball and 4 others like this
Retired mediocre driver
Posted 08-10-2012 08:54 AM
6. Retirement money?!? I don't need no steeeen-king retirement money!
One day when both my sons were around, one of them viewed a completed SCCA event entrie form laying on a table. He asked, dad whose your sponsor SFI? Response, Sons Inheritance Fund.
Reasons I love Spec Miata:
People x 5 including there site personalities.
Posted 08-10-2012 12:53 PM
Let me add all the "rental teams". My great experience was with Flatout, but Planet, Meathead, and all the others allow guys to get into racing prior to the commitment of purchasing a car. This is a great opportunity for many of us. Likewise, all these teams are a useful resource even after purchasing and maintaining a car. Thanks.
- Glenn likes this
--because someone commented that we should all post our names, and not be anonymous. I agree.
Posted 08-10-2012 04:28 PM
With a Miata, the biggest maintenance that I need to complete between sessions (with a well prepped car) is cleaning it. Nice.
Tons of other racers running the same car, thus a large parts supply resource
My wife and son think that Spec Miata is the most entertaining group to watch. Hey, they like actiion. LOL
An easy car to drive to 98%. Also easier on consumables than most cars.
When everything goes wrong and I thought the car would be in the wall, the Miata takes over and somehow saves itself.
Want to learn how to begin racing, tips on building / buying a racecar,
becoming a front-running drive, or get vehicle reviews
from a motorsports enthusiast perspective? Visit our free site:
Posted 08-10-2012 05:12 PM
The car's street legal and I can drive it to the track. I don't need a truck and a trailer.
At least with a 1.6 in SFR, I can double dip in ITA with no changes to the car.
There's always someone (or multiple someones) willing and wanting to help - at the track, on the forums, at home during the week. A great community.
I've made some great friends and, as much as the racing, I look forward to race weekends 'cuz I get to hang out with them - chillaxing in the pits, battling on the track, watching Sprint cars at the dirt track, going out to dinner, and jumping in the pool at the hotel.
0 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users