Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

The difference in grip between an R6 and shaved RA1 is worth 2 seconds a lap on my car.

I am Hoosier fan and they sponsor me.. But I want to try and keep the "real" data out there. What you are quoting is not factual IMO. There is not 2 seconds worth of difference in R6 and proper RA1's at ANY track I have ever driven over the last 8-9 years in a SM. Maybe something longer than Road America at 4 miles full of turns? It is much easier to get to the limit on Hoosiers than Toyos? Maybe that is what you are experiencing? Are you ion 3/32 or thinner Toyos ?

Jim

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

I am Hoosier fan and they sponsor me.. But I want to try and keep the "real" data out there. What you are quoting is not factual IMO. There is not 2 seconds worth of difference in R6 and proper RA1's at ANY track I have ever driven over the last 8-9 years in a SM. Maybe something longer than Road America at 4 miles full of turns? It is much easier to get to the limit on Hoosiers than Toyos? Maybe that is what you are experiencing? Are you ion 3/32 or thinner Toyos ?

Jim

I have ran as fast at Mid Ohio on Toyo's (old Toyos) as I have on Hoosiers, It just takes way more work, with the set up on Toyo's to make that happen. Hoosiers I can just slap them on, be close and go. Toyo's is like a science experiment, different formula each time i go to the track, but with lots of work you can get there.

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

john mueller

john mueller

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

Toyo's is like a science experiment...

http://youtu.be/RNOrM8fbKxY
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts

http://youtu.be/RNOrM8fbKxY

Ya Kind of like that
  • john mueller likes this

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Flyntgr

Flyntgr

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  • Region:Delta
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:77
So what size? I've heard it will be the 225 width, so what's the OFFICIAL size per NASA?

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
I believe its the same size as the current tire.

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

philstireservice

philstireservice

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

So what size? I've heard it will be the 225 width, so what's the OFFICIAL size per NASA?

205/50R15 Toyo RR ....same size as the RA-1. The tire is approximately 1/10" wider in section width (overall width).

http://philstireservice.com Enkei Team Dynamics The Miata Wheel Motegi Apex Wedsport Hoosier Toyo BFG Michelin Nankang Federal

Todd Tagget

Todd Tagget

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 441 posts
  • Region:SFR
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:42
for those of you on a budget,, I just got back from my local (Reno) Les Schwab tire shop,,, he'll sell them to me mounted and balanced for $150 a tire....

FYI AIM just posted $175 a tire on the Thunderhill website and I don't think that includes mounting and balance.. While I"d love to support locally $100 is $100
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

ChrisA

ChrisA

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 659 posts
  • Region:NCR
  • Car Number:58

the talkative nature of the RR will give the mid & back pack guys more feedback to get them closer to the edge too.

Define talkative.

Chris

Happiness is a dry martini and a good woman ... or a bad woman.
- George Burns

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts

for those of you on a budget,, I just got back from my local (Reno) Les Schwab tire shop,,, he'll sell them to me mounted and balanced for $150 a tire....

FYI AIM just posted $175 a tire on the Thunderhill website and I don't think that includes mounting and balance.. While I"d love to support locally $100 is $100

I guess the question you have to ask is if your local Tire shop guy is willing to come to the track and help a brother out when he blew a tire before the feature race and needs a tire asap.

I always support the track side venders because it would be a biatch if they could no longer afford to show up and support our little addiction. Just saying nothing is for free or cheap even in this sport.

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

john mueller

john mueller

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts
NASA SpeedNews announcement of the tire - It's all PR, but I thought it worthy of a post.

http://www.snmagcurr.../?i=128324&p=10
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

john mueller

john mueller

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

Define talkative.

More feel. RA1's make noise and have good feel, RR's are better.

philstireservice

philstireservice

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
More new info on the Toyo RR - It was another good weekend for the Proxes RR, taking home overall wins in 2 classes at this weekend’s SCCA Enduro at Laguna Seca Raceway.

In the UL class the #50 of Myers/Allen, Hull took home first place beating the second place finisher by 3 laps while recording lap times up to 1.86 seconds faster than their nearest competitor. All in their first race on Proxes RR’s

In the PU class the #44 of the Hollfield family took home the top honors, followed by the #56 car in second place. Both competitors ran on Proxes RR’s for the first time and finished multiple laps ahead of their nearest competitors. Recording lap times up to 2.761 seconds faster than the 3rd place finisher.

This weekend it was made crystal clear that in the open tire classes there is a new player in town, the Proxes RR.
  • john mueller likes this

http://philstireservice.com Enkei Team Dynamics The Miata Wheel Motegi Apex Wedsport Hoosier Toyo BFG Michelin Nankang Federal

Zauskycop

Zauskycop

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 250 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Number:45
Now we get to see if Hoosier will answer...
Tracy Ramsey
45 SM
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

john mueller

john mueller

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

More new info on the Toyo RR - It was another good weekend for the Proxes RR, taking home overall wins in 2 classes at this weekend’s SCCA Enduro at Laguna Seca Raceway.

In the UL class the #50 of Myers/Allen, Hull took home first place beating the second place finisher by 3 laps while recording lap times up to 1.86 seconds faster than their nearest competitor. All in their first race on Proxes RR’s

In the PU class the #44 of the Hollfield family took home the top honors, followed by the #56 car in second place. Both competitors ran on Proxes RR’s for the first time and finished multiple laps ahead of their nearest competitors. Recording lap times up to 2.761 seconds faster than the 3rd place finisher

This weekend it was made crystal clear that in the open tire classes there is a new player in town, the Proxes RR.

I told you knuckleheads it was a good tire... Get a set & start testing!!

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:88
The 44 car did 149.903 on Fri on RA1's, Grp 7 SM
149.933 on RA1s on Sat.
149.897 on RR on Sun.

http://www.mylaps.co...?st=3&org=32147
J~
2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts
Is this info or advertising?
2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

john mueller

john mueller

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

Is this info or advertising?

Does it matter? We're discussing tires that can be purchased from ANY Toyo dealer.

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts

Does it matter? We're discussing tires that can be purchased from ANY Toyo dealer.

since we got to go through all the testing and learning the tire, I think we should get double Toyo bucks, on the bucks we are holding though the end of the year.

John Get on that will you.
  • htron435 likes this

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

john mueller

john mueller

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts
Okay, I ran the RR this weekend. First in a 20 min session then for an hour in an enduro.

The first session I started them cold at 32psi and they were HORRIBLE! I then spoke with a guy who has run the same in several enduros (has over 10hrs on them), he suggested to start at cold 28psi - that did the trick.

In the hour I drove them they never fell off, even when I over-drove-the-crap out of them for several laps in a row. No flat spots despite a few significantly smokey lock-ups. Y'all gonna like 'em.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users