Photo

NASA NorCal season kicks off Feb 12-13 at Infineon - who's in?

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

dtfastbear

dtfastbear

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts
  • Region:NorCal
As the NorCal Spec Miata series director, I'd like to personally invite you to come out and race with NASA NorCal this year. We've got six (yes, SIX!) weekends at Infineon in 2011. I hope that in and of itself is enough to make you want to run a few events with NASA. We also have multiple races per weekend, mixed class racing, an opportunity to "supersize" to a second race group at reduced cost and a generous Toyo contingency program that pays Toyo Bucks down through 5th place in every race of the season.

You can find the 2011 NorCal calendar here: http://www.nasanorcal.com/

I don't believe there are any conflicts with the San Francisco Region SCCA events this year. So, you don't have to make a choice between organizations, you can run both! :)

I also want to make sure that you are aware of some important rule changes for the 2011 season across the model years.

First and perhaps most dramatically, NASA has changed the minimum weights and restrictor plate sizes in an effort to bring the performance of the different model years closer together. The wisdom of these changes, which represent a significant departure from the approach the SCCA is taking, has been debated almost to death in this forum, so I'd rather this NOT become another thread about that. :) The bottom line: make sure you look at the new 2011 NASA Spec Miata rule set to determine your minimum weight and required restrictor plate size.

Other rule changes for 2011 in the NASA Spec Miata Series.

11.2 "Balancing of Crankshaft and Flywheel is permitted; minimum weights listed in these rules must be maintained."

11.3.3 will allow tape or insulating foam to replace Radiator Seal Plate

12.5.3 For 1999-2005 it is permitted to alter the ignition timing by elongating the mounting holes of the crankshaft position sensor trigger wheel

12.9 Fuel Pressure - Any adjustable mechanical fuel regulator may be used, but it may not be adjustable from the cockpit

13.2: Allowing both the 4.1 and the 99+ upgrade 4.3 but the 4.3 is mandated for the Nationals.

14.1: Front 27mm non-Adjustable or adjustable 24mm front bar ... may be used. However, the 24mm must be used for the duration of the NASA Nationals event.

14.7 1990-97 cars are permitted to use the “R” model tie rod ends part # N021-32-280A

15: Steering rack - allowing shimming (0.5" max) between the rack & subframe.

The first event of the year is February 12th-13th at Infineon. I hope to see many of you that weekend or at another NASA event this year. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to contact me directly. It's my job to make it easy for you to attend and enjoy NASA events.

Cheers,

Dean Thomas

Former driver

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:88
I'm in.
Supersized. (do I get fries and a coke with that) :D

Great class Sunday.
J~
2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

john mueller

john mueller

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

First and perhaps most dramatically, NASA has changed the minimum weights and restrictor plate sizes in an effort to bring the performance of the different model years closer together. The wisdom of these changes, which represent a significant departure from the approach the SCCA is taking, has been debated almost to death in this forum, so I'd rather this NOT become another thread about that. :) The bottom line: make sure you look at the new 2011 NASA Spec Miata rule set to determine your minimum weight and required restrictor plate size.

Cheers,
Dean Thomas

Well said Dean...

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

ToddW

ToddW

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:67
I will be there, as long as it's not pouring down rain (no rain tires). Randy Evans also said he's coming.

Charlie Hayes

Charlie Hayes

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts
  • Region:West Coast
  • Car Number:22
I will be there for the March weekend if all goes to plan. :D

I wish I could do February though.
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill

dtfastbear

dtfastbear

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts
Todd,

The 11 day forecast (which is NEVER wrong) claims perfect weather. Look forward to seeing you there! If we can start the new season just like we ended the last one, we're going to have some very close racing up front...

Former driver

Sacslider

Sacslider

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:27
Weekend turned out to have great weather and great racing. My compliments to everyone up front for two no contact and hard fought races. Now if I could just get the older guys to make a couple more mistakes.....
Craig Evans
NASA NorCal SpecMiata Director Retired
NASA Norcal Region Champion - SpecMiata 2011, 2013<p>
Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Sacslider

Sacslider

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
Quick notes on the weekend:

Saturday

Pole - 1995

P1 1.6
P2 1.6
P3 1.6
P4 1.6

Sunday

Pole - 1990

P1 1.6
P2 1.6
P3 1.6
P4 1.8 1995

Total 1999-2005 cars racing - 1
Total entries -18

Tech-

Satuday top 5 Wieght
Sunday top 4 Wieght, safety gear (Nomex check), fuel
Craig Evans
Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
I suggest contingency $ for top NA and NB :D
J~
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

dtfastbear

dtfastbear

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts
I'd also like to compliment the drivers on a great weekend. I really enjoyed watching the races on both days. On Saturday, you could have thrown a blanket over the top 3 cars at any point in the race, and Jaime was close behind. The finishing order on Sunday for 2nd place was measured in inches and only a couple feet up to 1st!

There was excellent racing throughout the field. We did have a little side to side contact and some spins, but there were no big contact incidents (after the Saturday warmup, that is...) and no contact forms filled out that I'm aware of.

Clean flag record for the entire weekend, too!

Great way to start the season, gang.

Cheers,

Dean

Former driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
Loved the "Hot Tow" for the cobra at the start of the PTE on Sunday.
Way better than throwing a FC caution for every little thing.
J~

Sean Allen

Sean Allen

My title is unique

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Region:SFR
Hopefully see you guys in March for my last hurrah!
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995
Names to the positions...

SAT: P1...Vodden
P2...Evans C
P3...Hartzel

SUN: P1...Hartzel
P2...Evans C
P3...Evans R

Going by what I remember watching...please correct if I'm wrong.

Craig...you should have great video. I hope you'll post some!

Ron

RAmotorsports

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
Mylaps.com

http://nasa-norcal.mylaps.com/

http://www.nasaprora...,eventid,626041

By class
Thanks Dean

J~

dtfastbear

dtfastbear

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Mylaps.com you have to pick out the E30 guys.

http://nasa-norcal.mylaps.com/

http://www.nasaprora...,eventid,626041

J~

Just click "by class" to separate the SM cars from the E30's

Former driver

Sacslider

Sacslider

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
I have a ton of video I have not watched. It will need to editted so the front and rear cameras are in sync before it is posted. I have very little experience doing that so it may be awhile. Should be cool when done. I hope the choice words I had for the e30's are not on the audio!
Craig Evans

Jeff Lyon

Jeff Lyon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Region:NorCal/SFR
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:19
The weather was nice.

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

I have a ton of video I have not watched. It will need to editted so the front and rear cameras are in sync before it is posted. I have very little experience doing that so it may be awhile. Should be cool when done. I hope the choice words I had for the e30's are not on the audio!

Don't edit the audio!! That can be the best part...no one will hold the heat of the moment comments against you :D Split screen with front and back video of your 2 races should be incredible!! Can't wait...

Ron

RAmotorsports

Juan Pineda

Juan Pineda

You can sleep in your car, but you can't race your house.

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts
  • Region:SFR
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:34
A fun weekend! Weather was perfect. Great company. Engine didn't blow up, despite my best efforts. I'm working on my videos. Will post here. -Juan

CheckerLap.com -- Your race results!

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

dtfastbear

dtfastbear

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts
Laura's Saturday SM race:
http://www.vimeo.com/19949618

My Saturday PTE race:
http://www.vimeo.com/19950357

Enjoy!

Dean