Photo

Hoosier vs. Toyo: Provide your feedback after a year

- - - - - tires hoosier toyo

• Please log in to reply
107 replies to this topic

Poll: Driver feedback on Hoosier vs. Toyo switch (64 member(s) have cast votes)

How many sessions did you get from the SM6 compared to the RA1?

1. More sessions (4 votes [6.25%])

Percentage of vote: 6.25%

2. Same sessions (19 votes [29.69%])

Percentage of vote: 29.69%

3. Fewer sessions (41 votes [64.06%])

Percentage of vote: 64.06%

If the tire decision for 2013 were up to you, would you stay with the SM6 or go back to the RA1?

1. Stay with the Hoosier SM6 (31 votes [48.44%])

Percentage of vote: 48.44%

2. Go back to the Toyo RA1 (33 votes [51.56%])

Percentage of vote: 51.56%

Where do you finish in the field?

1. Front third (39 votes [60.94%])

Percentage of vote: 60.94%

2. Mid-pack (22 votes [34.38%])

Percentage of vote: 34.38%

3. Back third (3 votes [4.69%])

Percentage of vote: 4.69%

Vote Guests cannot vote

Brian Ghidinelli

Brian Ghidinelli

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 465 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:12
There's still a few regions out there not running the Hoosier. Now that you have a year of experience running it, can you share your feedback via the poll?

Free form feedback welcome, too. I'm particularly interested in responses from drivers not on the podium who may be more cost-value conscious.

Thanks!
Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:91
Mazdaracers.com, where all the women are strong, all the men are good looking, and all the racers are in the top third.
  • john mueller, svvs, Muda and 3 others like this
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Dan Tiley

Dan Tiley

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  • Region:SEDIV
  • Car Number:33
Wow... As of right now 85% of us run in the top 33% of the finishing positions. No wonder we're always running into each other.

For me, I love the speed, grip and even the "tread" wear of the Hoosier, but have been disappointed with the falloff in laptime after the stickers wear off. Seemed to me the 4/32" shaved Toyos were "good" for about 6-7 sessions, where the Hoosiers are maybe raceable for 3-4. Either still has plenty of rubber left, but the compound is toasted.

Love seeing a truck at every track that says "Hoosier" on the side of it though. We're getting great trackside support right now, even on the technical side. That's definitely worth something in my book. Either side has is pluses and minuses.

William Bonsell

William Bonsell

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 398 posts
  • Region:Northwest
Just ran a 8 hour endurance race on a set of H2O's....incredibly superior to the RA-1's we practiced on. After 8 hours on the H2O's, with some dry track between downpours and with no rotation of tires on a CW track, only the drivers side front tire was in questionable shape. Very impressed.
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99
IMO the only reason to not go back to TOYO, which would again put NASA and SCCA on the same tire, is the rains. H20 rains are incredible compaired to the RA1. I still think is benifits the class to be on the same damn tire...

K. Webb
Powered by East Street Racing (Best engines in Spec Miata)

Driver coach, Spec Miata Prep shop, Spec Miata Setup

2016 Hard Charger award passing 12 cars runoffs 2016 Mid Ohio

2016 P3 RUNOFFS OVER 40 DIVISION LOL!

2015 First consolation prize Northern Conference Majors Title Pageant
2015 Winner Circus Cat Majors Road America

2015 Winner BlackHawk Majors crash fest

My Signature is still not as long as Danny boy's

Donor - Made PayPal donation Majors Winner - Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Alex Bolanos

Alex Bolanos

The Cuban Missile

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
  • Region:FL
  • Car Number:57

For me, I love the speed, grip and even the "tread" wear of the Hoosier, but have been disappointed with the falloff in laptime after the stickers wear off. Seemed to me the 4/32" shaved Toyos were "good" for about 6-7 sessions, where the Hoosiers are maybe raceable for 3-4. Either still has plenty of rubber left, but the compound is toasted.

Love seeing a truck at every track that says "Hoosier" on the side of it though. We're getting great trackside support right now, even on the technical side. That's definitely worth something in my book. Either side has is pluses and minuses.

No sense in retyping, my thoughts exactly.

Alex Bolanos - #57 
Sponsored by Autotechnik, Momo USA, Apex Alignment, and Amazon.com

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Majors Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner

Armando Ramirez

Armando Ramirez

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • Region:Florida
  • Car Number:76
IMO the only reason to not go back to TOYO, which would again put NASA and SCCA on the same tire, is the rains. H20 rains are incredible compaired to the RA1. I still think is benifits the class to be on the same damn tire...

Cannot we use the Hoosier rains and the RA1 for dry?

Of course this might not be politically or sponsor wise correct, or doable.
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

fishguyaz

fishguyaz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • Region:AZ
  • Car Number:92
imo if you are getting 4 sessions and then experiencing drop off, may as well be using soft compound slicks like they do in FF. you must have a new set for the race to even be competitive. ~$800/ weekend is a high cost for tires in a SM. if i am going to spend that $ i would prefer to be racing the formula car I own.
the toyos were a good bargain i thought.
i have yet to buy the hoosiers because of this.
with the nationals being elimanated and replaced by the majors what is the tire plan for scca SM
hoosiers at majors and runoffs, and all other events the tires are open(DOT) as they currently are in a regional race?
Josh Pitt
1999 SM #92 SoPac division

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts
Fishguy, Important to note: not all SCCA regions are open tire. Some require spec tire for regional competition.
2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts
"With all due respect" I don't care what NASA does.
2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Glenn

Glenn

Mid Pack Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • Region:SE

imo if you are getting 4 sessions and then experiencing drop off, may as well be using soft compound slicks like they do in FF. you must have a new set for the race to even be competitive. ~$800/ weekend is a high cost for tires in a SM. if i am going to spend that $ i would prefer to be racing the formula car I own.
the toyos were a good bargain i thought.
i have yet to buy the hoosiers because of this.
with the nationals being elimanated and replaced by the majors what is the tire plan for scca SM
hoosiers at majors and runoffs, and all other events the tires are open(DOT) as they currently are in a regional race?

Thats an "intresting" point to make.....how or WHEN will the regions change their rules to "fit" the new program? Mike C, you going to weigh in on this soon......... :scratchchin:

Glenn Murphey, Crew Chief
Owner Crew Chief Services The Pinnacle of Excellence, Contract Crew Services for the racing community.
Soon to be back in the club racing scene for good ;)

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Brian Ghidinelli

Brian Ghidinelli

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 465 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:12
Hey, stay on topic!! Only actual feedback from drivers who ran the tire this past year! No speculation! No looking at your neighbor, no passing notes in class! :prayer:
  • Alberto likes this
Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Mike Collins

Mike Collins

Big Cheese

• Moderators
  • 1,262 posts
  • Region:Washington DC
  • Car Number:75
Glenn, your question is a good one. Not sure. I see 2014 treating Majors like Nationals for contingency etc... The tire contract does not come until 2015.
Mike "MEATHEAD" Collins
Founder - Partner
MEATHEADRacing
240-476-1593

www.meatheadracing.com
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Sugar Daddy - Made PayPal donation of $500+ Donor - Made PayPal donation Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. MX5 Cup Participant - Has Participated in a MX5Cup.com Series Event Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

Mike Collins

Mike Collins

Big Cheese

• Moderators
  • 1,262 posts
  • Region:Washington DC
  • Car Number:75
I still vote open tire for SM!!!! I know it is a Spec Class, but open tire curbs the spending and brings in more "tire war" sponsors. The guys who spend money now on stickers every session will keep on spending...it won't change the outcome but it sure will keep the overall cost of tires down!
Mike "MEATHEAD" Collins
Founder - Partner
MEATHEADRacing
240-476-1593

www.meatheadracing.com
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Sugar Daddy - Made PayPal donation of $500+ Donor - Made PayPal donation Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. MX5 Cup Participant - Has Participated in a MX5Cup.com Series Event Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

Waterboy

Waterboy

MEATHEAD Racing Hitman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts
  • Region:WDC
  • Car Number:15
SM6 is no faster than RA1. Only benefit is trackside support which does have some benefit. RA1 you could practice on them then race on them, SM6 no way. You have to qualify on stickers and race on no more than a session or two tires and if you practice on older tires the car acts completely different.
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

svvs

svvs

do they sell spec training wheels yet?

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 518 posts
  • Region:NYR
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:12?

SM6 is no faster than RA1. Only benefit is trackside support which does have some benefit. RA1 you could practice on them then race on them, SM6 no way. You have to qualify on stickers and race on no more than a session or two tires and if you practice on older tires the car acts completely different.

So far I'm with you on this one. My lap times are pretty similar on RA1's vs SM6's, except for that opening heat cycle on stickers.

The SM6 though does allow for the ability to brake later than I could on RA1's in a passing situation.....though part of that may be because I'm going a bit slower down the straights than I was on the RA1's.

The Hoosier H20 though is night and day compared to full tread RA1's.

Vick
www.volko.com
Black SM/SM2/"Slap Bracelet Throwback" #12 in the Northeast....if the car was made in the early 90's it should look like it.

1.6L forever!  Bring on your '99's and '01's!

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Donor - Made PayPal donation

Neil O

Neil O

MEATHEAD Racing Draftman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • Region:WDC
  • Car Number:06
Isn't this poll a little irrelevant since the RA1 is getting replaced by the RR. Do we really know everything about the RR yet?

FWIW, I like the RA1 better than the Hoosier. But, that game has changed as well.

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Number:99

Isn't this poll a little irrelevant since the RA1 is getting replaced by the RR. Do we really know everything about the RR yet?

FWIW, I like the RA1 better than the Hoosier. But, that game has changed as well.

Who ever said the RA1 was replaced by the RR? the RA1 is still the rain tire for NASA for the forseeable future unless toyo developes a Rain Tire. the RA1 will remain available till such time...

K. Webb