Forrest Landy

Forrest Landy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Region:WDC
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:41
A few years ago my brother and I raced rotax karts. It was a spec class, we all had the same engines, the same tires, and near identicle chassis. The time was all in the drivers hands as it all came down to skill and setup. They had an interesting solution to engine parity that I thought I might share... You could buy an unsealed Rotax engine and then a series tech official would seal it knowing it was in order through an inspection. I think this could work with SM, you could still have your pro engines but everyone already knows that seal means a legal engine so all accusations of cheating, with the engine at least go out the window (theoretically)... I think this would help regional racing more as the tech inspections are a little less thorough as the inspectors dont have the time or the motivation to tear down an engine considering that they are never very high profile weekends. Also this would give all the drivers that added peace of mind that everybody else engine is legal.

Of course there are some giant problems with this idea, like having to include a thourough engine inspection as part of annual tech but could the benefit outweigh the cost? I think this is definatly more fesiable then all of us buying sealed engines from Mazdaspeed (Like in Mx5 cup), especially considering the diffrences in all the various generations of engines. It also keeps the quality up as the build shops still turn out the same product as they are now. All I think this would change is that it will keep everyone honest about their build. I think the way SSM does it is they are sealed at a set HP number instead of engine construction legality.

Of course there are a million other ways to cheat and to bend the rules and the really fast guys will exploit those opportunities, its just a fact of racing and I get that. But in regional racing In my opinion this could really help compettition and put everyones mind at ease.

Of course I am speaking from a rookies perspective and I dont know how hard it is to check the specific details of an engines legality. I understand from reading other threads that even with ample time, the tools don't exist so this can be done 100% consistently as engines vary so much.

Anyways just my opinion. I hope no one is offended by this but knowing these forums I dont doubt sombody is.....

This may have been talked about before in one shape or another so I apologize for beating a dead horse but I think this is a new take on it.

Don't drive like my brother!

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:91
Please try the search function.
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99
This is the right place to have that discussion if you want to not on every other damn thread which is what always happens, so good on you...

K. Webb
Powered by East Street Racing (Best engines in Spec Miata)

Driver coach, Spec Miata Prep shop, Spec Miata Setup

2016 Hard Charger award passing 12 cars runoffs 2016 Mid Ohio

2016 P3 RUNOFFS OVER 40 DIVISION LOL!

2015 First consolation prize Northern Conference Majors Title Pageant
2015 Winner Circus Cat Majors Road America

2015 Winner BlackHawk Majors crash fest

My Signature is still not as long as Danny boy's

Donor - Made PayPal donation Majors Winner - Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:91
Kyle is a glass half full kinda guy.
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Alberto

Alberto

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Region:SFR
  • Car Year:1990
I also used to race Rotax and Sr. Sportsman so I know where you are coming from. The discussion has take place repeatedly.
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts

Kyle is a glass half full kinda guy.

And you the glass.75 empty kind of guy. Landy might need to have his conversation. I donot must mean I have been around to long now and seen and heard much
To me spec or sealed engines just mean a wider gulf between halves and have nots but every once in a while some poor slob will get lucky and get a sealed engine that is faster than everyone elses its like playing he power ball we all have a chance but only very few win at that game

K. Webb

Donor - Made PayPal donation Majors Winner - Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts
How 'bout this. The first season I raced SM we were required to use the Mazdacomp exhaust, and for the first part of that season we had to run the stock airbox (1.6 L).

People are always going to push for an advantage, however if we all had to "breathe through the same straw," so to speak, it may take away some of the horsepower disparity for a relatively low cost.

Just an observation, but it seems like mostly the "haves" that argue parity measures won't work.
2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
Most of the halves, ME NOT INCLUDED, have major tallent in this class. Just drove an 8 hr enduro in upper mid pack car with 4/32 toyos (we all know a 4/32 toyo is not a fast tire) on it and turned personal best laps, yes i had to drive it 10/10ths to do that. While I am not a threat for the 2013 national title in SCCA, I think most recognize what all efforts I have put into this to get from DFL in 2010 when I started to being a threat for top 10 at a dbl nat. at most tracks. I do have the confidence to say, if we all have exactly the same car, and we take turns running 10 lap stints in exactly the same track conditions I will still be a threat to be top 10 at most any track. And great drivers like Charbs, and Drago will beat me 9.5 times out of 10 even in my car. Much is made over the engine, and I have even been known to blame my engine for not keeping pace, probably blamed that all of my rookie season, and a few times since. But I put my data up against some of the best Drago, and Steyn come to mind. They are consistently faster everywhere on the track with almost identicle equipment. Parity is a fairy tale... It can be debated, even considered, just never achieved. Can we let Landy get back to finding a solution to Engine parity?

K. Webb

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts
Not one word about my exhaust/intake suggestion?
  • Bench Racer likes this
2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
I dont care what exhaust we use. I already have a stock intake maybe we should put my stock airbox on your car and see if it gives more hp lol. How about this suggestion, pick one model car, then partiy is much easier achieved, but all the halves will still have advantage, as they will test more, and tweek more and flat out buy more engines and most can afford etc.

So what your saying if I hear you correctly is If the 99 run stock pipes and air box, and the 1.6 does the same parity will be achieved?

As jim alluded to in another post it would be best if we picked one model 1999-2000 and got rid of the rest but we all knwo that wont fly and would absolutly murder the class. If the grass is really greener on the other side of the fence, as many like to say is with new sm5 what is keeping the masses from rushing off to build one of those? I only know of one guy who I race with that wants to build one. I have no intentions of racing anything other than SM and I think by the time SM has run its course I will be on to a new endevour completley and will leave racign behind for new challenges in life.

This thread is not getting much in the way of suggestions so far, its my last post as I have No Real Ideas how to achieve parity. I am one that thinks things are very good currently under our new rules, that reach through 2014 season. Thank god we dont have to wonder what RP, or wieght we will have to change to, and it seems tires are set for the next couple years even though its not the same tire.

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
The courage to change the things I can,
And the wisdom to know the difference.

K. Webb