dp35

dp35

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Region:SF
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:51
I meant to post this sooner, but recovering from 25 Hours of racing doesn’t happen overnight.

This year I did something most would not - entered my pristine Spec Miata in the E3 class of the 25 Hours of Thunderhill.

This year's 25 Hour was my fourth as a driver, but first as a car/team owner. This idea started with the support & encouragement of Bob Thornton with Race Engineering, and thus the name. We hoped to have Bob join us as a driver, but that didn't work out. So I had Phillip Holifield and Dan Cooper help me out with the driving duties, and they did great as I knew they would. Bob still supported us with a great engine.

We qualified P1, and the race started out according to plan, with me and Ken Sutherland (Miatacage) trading the lead as we seem to do in every race. But our race went south around the four hour mark, when we had to pit from the lead with a mis-fire. It took several hours to get this problem resolved. After that our goals were just to have fun, set the fastest lap time of our class, and finish. All of which we accomplished.

Because we were out of contention for a good finish, we abandoned the normal enduro conservative pace, went flat out & had fun. Despite the sprint pace & shift points, our RE engine had no issues, and powered our best lap times after approx. 19 hours of hard running (without a restrictor plate). Any concerns with the reliability of RE engines should be put to rest after this engine's performance, as well as the RE victory at this year's VIR 13 Hour.

We had several tire choices for this race, and decided to use the proven Hoosier SM6's. We were happy with the Hoosier tires because they provided enough grip for us to be the fastest E3 car in qual & the race, but still had great wear rates.

For those of you that have not experienced the 25 Hour, I highly recommend it. Even if you aren’t able to do it as a driver, do it as a crew member. It’s awesome!

Congratulations to the Miatacage team on the 1-2 finish. That is an extremely impressive result. We thought we had something for you guys, and someday, some day, we will put an end to your automatic NorCal trophy grab.

Although it’s a major disappointment to finish poorly in a race we thought we could win, it was inspiring to see our team rally and find ways to still have fun. This reminded me that trophies are not the best things we bring home from the race track, it’s the friendships with awesome people that are truly valuable. More than any other race, the 25 Hour creates bonding experiences due to the reliance on the contributions of every team member. Team Race Engineering West would be nothing without the following people:

Pit Boss/Crew Chief/Everything:
Ron Alan

Fuelers:
David “Kudo” Coduto, David Biggar, Chris LaBouff, Rob LaBouff

Mechanics:
Hank Butler & Duane Polsley

Executive Chefs (our heros):
Glen Porter & Darlene Ghanati

Science Geeks:
Juan Pineda & Tim Myrtle

Lighting Consultant:
Glenn Stasky - Clearwater Lights (it was like daytime out there)

General Assistance:
Ray Meister, Brian Doty, Max Cleveland, Rick Petty (that’s right, we had The King on our team), Braden, Steve Holifield, Martin Cooper, Bill Polsley

Meteorologist:
David Biggar

Live In-Car to Web Camera Technicians:
David Biggar & Kudo

Moral Support:
Terri, Maddie, Katelyn, Connie, Kyle, Andrew, Dean, Bob, all of our SM friends that stopped by & wished us well, and anyone else that I’ve forgotten.

We would be nothing without our team. Thanks again to all of them, from the drivers – Darin, Dan, & Phillip.

Posted Image
  • Johnny D, Ron Alan, Glenn and 1 other like this
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survivalist - Won 25 Hours at Thunderhill! We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995
Great post Darin! It was truly a team effort and even more so when we knew we were out of contention. We can't thank those who volunteered their time enough...it is amazing how one long arss race can bring friends closer together and other new friendships are formed.

Here are a few more fun details. I had originally posted in the first 25hr thread to come back and I would have an exciting announcement...well sorry to disappoint if anyone had actually come back and found i posted nothing. Well, we had a live streaming pit cam and in car camera 23 out of the 25hrs that worked pretty darn well all things considered!. We decided to selfishly not post up the Ustream link...not because we had anything to hide, but knowing others in the paddock would see this and go to the hosting site, there was a good chance the local 4G verizon network would get over whelmed. It was already super slow with the 500 or so people in a concentrated area! We wanted to make sure we could watch! But we did send it out to friends and it could be found if you went looking for it. Here is a funny story regarding this...

Steven McAleer(MX5 Playboy cup champ 2012) came walking up to our car when everyone was milling around the cars on pre-grid. He was looking in the car through the windshield and looked up at me and asked if we had a camera in the car? Turns out he was on the phone with his brother in Scotland who told him to look for the red car...he was watching the live feed! Sure enough he found the right car and waived to his brother!

No doubt our car was fast. At one point after sunrise, Darin ended up behind a CJ Wilson Cup car driving by Elliot Skeer. They had lost their ABS on the car so it was just a little slower. Darin tucked in behind him and proceeded to push the cup car around the track for a dozen or so laps. After, Elliot said he felt like he was back in a spec Miata race bump drafting! I'm sure there was a lot of thumbs up and tomahawk chops going!

Ever seen what one of those 3' tall white reflectors they put in the corners(for night driving)will do to an aluminum hood or fender? OMG...lets just say Darin's pristine car is not quite anymore!

This is a great event! For you hardcore die hard racers across the country...put this on your bucket list!

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

trekkor

trekkor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26 posts
Glad the UStream service worked for you.

We used it during multiple LeMons races.

What's the link?
It should all be cached for later viewing.

KT
Crew for Todd Tagget #42 ( future co-driver! )
Let me set your tile!~ http://www.willstile.com

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

Glad the UStream service worked for you.

We used it during multiple LeMons races.

What's the link?
It should all be cached for later viewing.

KT

Cash? We didn't get any cash?

Maybe one of our crew or drivers that knows something about this can chime in? Certainly not me, I just found out my pager doesn't work anymore :noidea:

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Ken SM94

Ken SM94

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • Region:Oregon
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:94
Darin and team, that was a great first-time effort. It's crazy what will take you out of these deals - it's almost never what you think it will be.

I'm not sure about the pace of the first few hours though :^) It sure was fun but niether of us were going to be able to go the full 25 like that.

Gongrats on getting back out there and finishing the race. You guys will be contenders next year for sure.

Mery Christmas!
Ken Sutherland
1976 4th Grade Bowling Series-Most Improved
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

dp35

dp35

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Region:SF
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:51
Thanks Ken.

It sure would've been fun to race to the end & see what happens!

Merry Christmas!
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survivalist - Won 25 Hours at Thunderhill! We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users