dmathias

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  • Region:GreatLakes
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:88
OK, I'll add my half-assed, mid-pack, regional-running opinion. Be the first to tell me I'm wrong. I ran both (new) Hoosiers and (new) Toyos last year. At first the Hoosiers felt awesome, after about 8 heat cycles not so much. Still got beat by the fast guys that were running Toyos. When a cycled-out Hoosier gives up grip they don't give much (any) warning. For me Toyos have a much more usable life-span, and when the do get cycled-out they still give you a warning squeal before they spit you off course. Since my budget permits several new sets of tires OR entry fees, but not both, I'll be buying a couple sets of Toyos and calling it done.

-Denny
The enemy of good is better.
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

davecarama

davecarama

Instructor

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • Region:Mid-Atlantic
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:63
I have most of my track experience on Hoosiers, and in a Miata. I think the performance might drop a little as they cycle, but even when you run them to their cords, they are still grippy (as grippy as the Toyo tire). Based on my experience with NASA TT, Hoosier likes to reward drivers that win on their tires. With a minimum of 7 in a class, they give 1 tire to 2nd and 3rd places, and 2 to first place... and there are 2 races per weekend, making it possible to win a full set every race weekend. Toyo also does a contingency program in TT, but the reward is for the end of season winners, and only Toyo bucks towards tires, not as much as Hoosier gives away.

Don't get me wrong, I have driven on Toyos and I like them too, but there is something about that super stiff sidewall of the hoosiers, and the much more soft sidewall of the Toyo tire that has me sold.

It is one of the reasons I am going to drive in ITA/PTE... not to mention I get them pretty cheap!
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

TheFence

TheFence

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Region:Oregon
  • Car Number:8
Have lots of laps with Hoosier R6 DOT Slick. Given it was a larger tire but they were on a larger car.
Have some laps on the Toyo/SM tires.

Ill take the Hoosier.

Kyle Burkhardt

Kyle Burkhardt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • Region:NASA Midwest
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:12

Have lots of laps with Hoosier R6 DOT Slick. Given it was a larger tire but they were on a larger car.
Have some laps on the Toyo/SM tires.

Ill take the Hoosier.

There's no doubt the Hoosier has superior grip. It's an economic issue. I got out of GTS and into SM to significantly reduce tire costs.
Kyle Burkhardt
Team ///Miata #12
PajamaPants Racing
NASA Midwest
Posted Image
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

davecarama

davecarama

Instructor

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • Region:Mid-Atlantic
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:63

There's no doubt the Hoosier has superior grip. It's an economic issue. I got out of GTS and into SM to significantly reduce tire costs.

Just curious, so please don't read this is me being condescending.

What are you seeing is the problem with cost? Hoosier SM6 are $173.95 Retail (SM6 and R6 are the same compound only at a cheaper price). Toyo RA1 are what, $140-$180 depending on where you get them, then you pay for shipping and shaving and they cost the same as the Hoosier anyway.

I don't see performance drop being as greatly exaggerated as described above. Perhaps because I have been using the tiny light anemic in power Miata, and not a monster beefy GT car (who knows). I do agree that new R6 Hoosiers are faster than older R6 Hoosiers, but I think older Hoosiers are still as fast or faster than the Toyo RA1. They just drive so differently, you need to keep that in mind too. It could take some getting used to.

As for longevity, The Hoosiers work great down to the (sticky) cords. Most of the Miatas in ITA here in the DC region are using Hoosiers, and buying only 1-2 sets per season (all depending on when they cord the tires). I know one of the DC ITA guys bought 2 sets last season, and got race wins and track records on every track, every time he raced, no matter the number of cycles on the tire.

I never had to purchase Toyo tires. How many sets do you guys go through per season?

Dave
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

dmathias

dmathias

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
Don't get me wrong - I like Hoosiers a lot - and 'what tire to spec' has been debated to death for years. . . but molded tires require that you have a separate, dedicated rain tire that cannot be used as an intermediate as it wears ($ cha-ching). And do we allow Dirt Stockers?

In my experience after 8-10 heat cycles Hoosiers lose 1+ seconds/lap.

Not trying to bad-mouth IT, but it's a different animal than SM. There is a wide variety of cars in IT and possibly a wider degree of prep levels, i.e., less parity by definition.

No doubt about it - the racers who can afford it will buy new tires every weekend no matter what brand is spec'd. For budget racers I'm convinced that Toyos have a longer usable life.

Kyle Burkhardt

Kyle Burkhardt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
+1. If I run 8 weekends, I'd need 8 sets of Hoosiers cause someone else is going to be running stickers on any given weekend. Hoosiers with more than 2-3 cycles on them don't stand a chance against stickers. I've been there. I can do a season on Toyos on 3 sets (and the third will get me through a couple of events the next year).

Plus, Hoosiers cost me $250 per for GTS.
Kyle Burkhardt
Team ///Miata #12
PajamaPants Racing
NASA Midwest
Posted Image
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Qik Nip

Qik Nip

Loose Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 413 posts
  • Region:Cincinnati
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:60
Okay, one "mo" time ... I've run a lot more RA1's than SM6's,and have no ax to grind against Toyo. Most of my Toyo's deliver 15+ good cycles but all three or so sets of the Hoosiers that I've used also gave me 15+ solid heat cycles. That equivilency aside, the SM6's were (for me)decidedly faster on corner entry.

As for premature wear, I've had at least one set of each Toyos RA1's and 888's that were absolutely shot after six cycles and have never had that occur with a set of Hoosiers. BTW, the Hoosier folks are at every SCCA event and are reasonable to deal with.

Regardless of who we deal with, we need a molded RACE tire and contingency payments to regional SCCA racers. The fact is those folks are subsidizing the National class (where, ironically the fattest wallet racers are). BTW, I do believe a SM6 is about the same weight and weight as a 3/32 shaved RA1.
Rick

2009, 2010 & 2011 SCCA Great Lakes Div. Reg. SM Champ
2006, 2009, 2010 & 2011 Cincy SCCA Reg. Driver of the year
Powered by: Stewart Engines
Set up by: RAFT Motorsports

SM: The safest race car in the world. It can just
barely kill you.

Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Kyle Burkhardt

Kyle Burkhardt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
Yes, you can get 15 heat cycles out of a Hoosier. And, yes, you it may still have more grip than a Toyo. But anyone on a sticker hoosier will drive circles around your 15 cycle tires. Period. So, then you have a choice if you want Hoosier as your spec tire. Be happy spending less on tires and running 3-4 secs off pace, or have a sticker set available at every event.

I've driven and competed on both tires on the same car, and that's my experience.
Kyle Burkhardt
Team ///Miata #12
PajamaPants Racing
NASA Midwest
Posted Image

dmathias

dmathias

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
Just curious, to the folks that want Hoosiers, what would you want as a rain tire? Open or this?
http://www.racetires...dot-radial-wet/

Qik Nip

Qik Nip

Loose Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 413 posts
  • Region:Cincinnati
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:60

Yes, you can get 15 heat cycles out of a Hoosier. And, yes, you it may still have more grip than a Toyo. But anyone on a sticker hoosier will drive circles around your 15 cycle tires. Period. So, then you have a choice if you want Hoosier as your spec tire. Be happy spending less on tires and running 3-4 secs off pace, or have a sticker set available at every event.

I've driven and competed on both tires on the same car, and that's my experience.

Kyle:
My personal experience runing SM's for seven years doesn't match your experience in another class. With respect to the RA1, it's normally late in the life of the tire that it delivers it's best times.

As for SM6 Hoosier, they may be fall off more than a RA1, but they start faster and when they do fall off , it's certainly not 3-4 seconds. More like one. Realistically any tire in its prime will beat one that's done for.
Rick

2009, 2010 & 2011 SCCA Great Lakes Div. Reg. SM Champ
2006, 2009, 2010 & 2011 Cincy SCCA Reg. Driver of the year