Anthony Ralston

Anthony Ralston

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Region:Central Florida
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:77
Anyone else going to the drivers school later this month?

I'm really excited! Just have a few small things to do to finish up the car.

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995
Is one of those things to mount your sub-belts per manufacturers instructions? 6 points of attachment vs 4? :P

BTW...you can edit your posts if you forget something rather than double posting. Good luck at school this year!

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Creighton

Jim Creighton

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  • Region:Atlanta
  • Car Number:53
I'll be at the track early enough to do an annual if you don't get it done prior to coming. Key items to check are that your brake lights work, your kill switch cuts off everything including the motor while it is running at 2000 + RPM and that the belts have not expired.

See you there.

Anthony Ralston

Anthony Ralston

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Is one of those things to mount your sub-belts per manufacturers instructions? 6 points of attachment vs 4? :P

BTW...you can edit your posts if you forget something rather than double posting. Good luck at school this year!

haha, so I will have to change that? I got the idea from the GCR.

Section 9.3.19 (page 90) Paragraph F.
"6 or 7 point system anti-submarine straps
may share a mounting point with one or both seat (lap) belt(s).
GCR - 91
9. Cars and Equipment
General
The minimum acceptable bolts used in the mounting of all belts
and harnesses is SAE Grade 5/Metric 8.8"

I'll be at the track early enough to do an annual if you don't get it done prior to coming. Key items to check are that your brake lights work, your kill switch cuts off everything including the motor while it is running at 2000 + RPM and that the belts have not expired.

See you there.

Thanks, I'm going to try and get it done sooner as I'm sure there will be a lot of people teching their cars at once. Plus that will give me time to fix any oversights.

I'm just really nervous....don't want anything to jeopardize me getting my license.

RussMcB

RussMcB

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • Region:SEDiv
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:57
In formula cars it's common to attach the sub straps and lap belts in the same mounting points (next to the hips).

Racer Russ
Marietta, GA
Former SM racer (now back in a formula car)

Barber 2013 Topless

Mark McCallister

Mark McCallister

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:40
Hey, (not sure your name?)... Drop a note to CFR's chief of scrutineering - his email address is on the CFR webpage http://www.cfrscca.org/?page_id=339. He or another tech may be able to meet you and your car somewhere to get annual done before you head up there if it is convenient for them and you pay their expenses... After the first time it isn't a big deal but like you said you don't want any loose ends at driver's school...if you haven't arranged it try to find crew support for the school, there isn't much time for fueling or torquing lug nuts at the school, much less anything more interesting. I did the RRR school in 2007, and it was great. Have fun!
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Creighton

Jim Creighton

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  • Region:Atlanta
  • Car Number:53
I'm in Jupiter this week and will be headed north next week up I 95. Are you near I 95?
  • RussMcB likes this

RussMcB

RussMcB

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts

I'm in Jupiter this week and will be headed north next week up I 95. Are you near I 95?

Now that's what I call good service.

Racer Russ
Marietta, GA

Barber 2013 Topless

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

haha, so I will have to change that? I got the idea from the GCR.

Section 9.3.19 (page 90) Paragraph F.
"6 or 7 point system anti-submarine straps
may share a mounting point with one or both seat (lap) belt(s).
GCR - 91
9. Cars and Equipment
General
The minimum acceptable bolts used in the mounting of all belts
and harnesses is SAE Grade 5/Metric 8.8"

Thanks, I'm going to try and get it done sooner as I'm sure there will be a lot of people teching their cars at once. Plus that will give me time to fix any oversights.

I'm just really nervous....don't want anything to jeopardize me getting my license.

I actually have no idea. Just wonder what the point of a sub-belt would be if it didn't go through the front of the seat and attach to the floor?

Ron

RAmotorsports

RussMcB

RussMcB

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts
Me thinks:

In a car like an SM, the sub strap(s) do come up through a hole (or two?) in the seat and clip into a single slot in the buckle.

Formula cars' belts are different. The two sub belts have special routing. They are anchored wide, go under the thighs and through rings in the lap belt, and finally secured up by the shoulder harnesses above the buckle. This is needed because of the extreme lay down position. In that case you don't want a centered strap to prevent you from "submarineing.".

I've always thought the biggest benefit of the sub belt in a sedan is to keep the lap belt from riding up when you cinch up the shoulder belts.

But what do I know? :-)

Coincidentally, I just ran across this thread that talks about it: http://forum.specmia...31;t=000247;p=0

Racer Russ
Marietta, GA

Barber 2013 Topless

Anthony Ralston

Anthony Ralston

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Hey, (not sure your name?)... Drop a note to CFR's chief of scrutineering - his email address is on the CFR webpage http://www.cfrscca.org/?page_id=339. He or another tech may be able to meet you and your car somewhere to get annual done before you head up there if it is convenient for them and you pay their expenses... After the first time it isn't a big deal but like you said you don't want any loose ends at driver's school...if you haven't arranged it try to find crew support for the school, there isn't much time for fueling or torquing lug nuts at the school, much less anything more interesting. I did the RRR school in 2007, and it was great. Have fun!

Thank you Mark, I was looking around the site trying to see who I should contact for the inspection. For some reason they aren't listed under contacts. (or I missed it...)

I did find out that there is a district meeting tonight. I plan on going; should be fun.

I sort of have a crew. My dad lives near-by; I'm also going to bring one of my friends.

I have done a few autocrosses in the car as a shakedown and its been great.

That would be great! I am about 10 min off of 95. I live on Edgewater/New Smyrna border.

Me thinks:

In a car like an SM, the sub strap(s) do come up through a hole (or two?) in the seat and clip into a single slot in the buckle.

Formula cars' belts are different. The two sub belts have special routing. They are anchored wide, go under the thighs and through rings in the lap belt, and finally secured up by the shoulder harnesses above the buckle. This is needed because of the extreme lay down position. In that case you don't want a centered strap to prevent you from "submarineing.".

I've always thought the biggest benefit of the sub belt in a sedan is to keep the lap belt from riding up when you cinch up the shoulder belts.

But what do I know? :-)

Coincidentally, I just ran across this thread that talks about it: http://forum.specmia...31;t=000247;p=0

That was another place where I got the idea; after seeing it in the GCR.

With the 5 point setup, the previous owner had, I would slide up a little bit under braking. With the "sit-on" install I am much more secure. I hope that I will be able to keep it that way.

Adax

Adax

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • Region:ATL
  • Car Number:49
This is Gospel, from Russ' link:

http://www.hmsmotors...nstructions.pdf

Alan Cross

My build blog

2017 SARRC SM Champion

2016 SARRC SM ECR Champion

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Anthony Ralston

Anthony Ralston

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
The information I received from Safecraft is attached.

Based off that (and the GCR), it looks like my install is good.

Here is a pic of my current install.

Attached File  WP_20130109_003.jpg   119.82KB   16 downloads

Attached Files

Tom Sager

Tom Sager

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:94
Good luck to everyone. If any of you attending or working the school have a chance, say hello to my very close high school friend Brian Nelson who is participating in the school in a red 1.6 SM. He's a 50+ year old rookie but raced motocross for years (years ago) and was a decorated army helicopter pilot and officer for over 20 years. He'll do well I think. He now lives in the Raleigh area.
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Tom OPM

Tom OPM

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • Region:SE
  • Car Year:1990
Tom have Brian look me up. I will be there teaching and supporting cars. Anything I can do to help.
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Tom Sager

Tom Sager

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:94

Tom have Brian look me up. I will be there teaching and supporting cars. Anything I can do to help.

Thanks, Tom. I will have Brian look for you.
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Anthony Ralston

Anthony Ralston

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
I found a great practice test online. Thanks to the Colorado Region for uploading it.

http://www.colorados...oolGCRExam.docx

Panic Motorsports

Panic Motorsports

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts
  • Region:079 SCR
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:90
Brian Nelson contacted me last week and will be hanging out under the Panic banner, be that good, bad or otherwise ;) See the lot of you in a few days, there'll be plenty of support for the SM community as usual!

Anthony Ralston

Anthony Ralston

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
Had a blast and got my license!

I put myself into a bad position and ended up in the wall. Thanks to Tom at OPM and John at Panic Motorsports. Without you two I would not have been able to finish out the weekend.

Glenn

Glenn

Mid Pack Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • Region:SE

Had a blast and got my license!

I put myself into a bad position and ended up in the wall. Thanks to Tom at OPM and John at Panic Motorsports. Without you two I would not have been able to finish out the weekend.

Didnt I tell you to ride it out in the grass at 9, LOL, glad to hear you are OK and got your finish!
  • Anthony Ralston likes this

Glenn Murphey, Crew Chief
Owner Crew Chief Services The Pinnacle of Excellence, Contract Crew Services for the racing community.
Soon to be back in the club racing scene for good ;)

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users