ChrisA

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 659 posts
  • Region:NCR
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:58
Getting ready to order a fire system for the car, probably going to go with the Fire Bottle brand. Kind-of debating whether to go with a 5 or 10-lbs system and where I should mount it. Should I mount it on the passenger floor or put it in the trunk? Any thoughts?

Chris

Happiness is a dry martini and a good woman ... or a bad woman.
- George Burns

Glenn

Glenn

Mid Pack Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • Region:SE

Getting ready to order a fire system for the car, probably going to go with the Fire Bottle brand. Kind-of debating whether to go with a 5 or 10-lbs system and where I should mount it. Should I mount it on the passenger floor or put it in the trunk? Any thoughts?

I once fired off a trunk mouted system during a RUSHED battery change during an enduro.......Sorry again Todd/Steve :).

Glenn Murphey, Crew Chief
Owner Crew Chief Services The Pinnacle of Excellence, Contract Crew Services for the racing community.
Soon to be back in the club racing scene for good ;)

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

john mueller

john mueller

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

Chris;
IMO mounting depends on if you need weight on the right side or not. Personally I like having it next to me, tight to the trans-tunnel.

I recommend having:
  • At least 2 Nozzles on the driver, better case 3
  • 2 Nozzles on the engine
  • 1 Nozzle in the trunk pointed at the fuel filler area

I like the 4 Liter, 6 Nozzle SPA units, good price with exceptional quality.
  • Glenn likes this
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Glenn

Glenn

Mid Pack Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • Region:SE

Chris;
IMO mounting depends on if you need weight on the right side or not. Personally I like having it next to me, tight to the trans-tunnel.

I recommend having:

FYI I have seen a few "go off" with less than steller results IE dribble from the nozels. Not sure cause/brand but I would definatly seek as much input from those that have used theirs.

Glenn Murphey, Crew Chief
Owner Crew Chief Services The Pinnacle of Excellence, Contract Crew Services for the racing community.
Soon to be back in the club racing scene for good ;)

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

SaulSpeedwell

SaulSpeedwell

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts
Am I crazy, or is the ratio of fire systems going off when they shouldn't about 50X higher than the # of times the driver activates them on purpose?

The only times I've seen an SM catch fire, it was always the part of the system that someone "touched" after the car was made - like a leaky SCCA fuel sampling port missing it's cap (i.e. "fuel atomizing ignition device"), or botched replacement of stuff on the fuel pump carrier.
  • Glenn likes this

For faster reply than PM:  miataboxes>>>AT<<<gmail>>DOT<<<com

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:88

Am I crazy, or is the ratio of fire systems going off when they shouldn't about 50X higher than the # of times the driver activates them on purpose?

The only times I've seen an SM catch fire, it was always the part of the system that someone "touched" after the car was made - like a leaky SCCA fuel sampling port missing it's cap (i.e. "fuel atomizing ignition device"), or botched replacement of stuff on the fuel pump carrier.

Here's one. Oil caught shifter boot on fire. Filed under "crap Happens"
Also I heard the Salt Flat guys have the engine noozles at the rad pointed back, so at speed it blows toward the fire.
Pull handle where you can reach it. Left of shifter or left vent IMO.
J~

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

ChrisA

ChrisA

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 659 posts

Chris;

I recommend having:

I gotta add a lot of lead to the floor, in the order of 125 lbs. to make weight. :cursing:
The Fire Bottles are FE-36, think the 5 is a 2-nozzle and the 10 a 3 or 4-nozzle. No mess if set off accidentally, just wasted $$.

Chris

- George Burns

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14
Chris, being you require weight, you may want to have a hand held bottle for isues like the shifter boot fire (above) and other silly stuff that happens where the nozzles are NOT aimed.
  • john mueller likes this
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:88
You going to run a cool suit? Ice Chest has to go someplace and that's more weight.
J~
2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

RussMcB

RussMcB

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • Region:SEDiv
  • Car Number:57

Chris, being you require weight, you may want to have a hand held bottle for isues like the shifter boot fire (above) and other silly stuff that happens where the nozzles are NOT aimed.

I like this idea a lot. It's not hard to imagine situations where you'd like to have a hand-held nearby, even in the paddock.

Racer Russ
Marietta, GA
Former SM racer (now back in a formula car)

Barber 2013 Topless

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Alberto

Alberto

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Region:SFR

I gotta add a lot of lead to the floor, in the order of 125 lbs. to make weight. :cursing:

Do this for ballast:
http://mazdaracers.c...ballast-system/
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

RussMcB

RussMcB

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts
Possible thread hijack, but I've been looking for an opportunity to ask this question lately.

I've never seen a fire system with two pull handles. How is that accomplished? I like the idea of a handy pull for the driver, and another for corner workers, but I can't picture how the two cables go into the bottle head.

Racer Russ
Marietta, GA

Barber 2013 Topless

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Number:14

I've never seen a fire system with two pull handles. How is that accomplished? I like the idea of a handy pull for the driver, and another for corner workers, but I can't picture how the two cables go into the bottle head.

Did a quick search, It would seem the answer to your question is yes. Try this link http://honda-tech.co...d.php?t=2464981 post #4. You might also contact someone like Dave Wheeler at AdvancedAutoSports or try PegasusAutoRacing.
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Sean - MiataCage

Sean - MiataCage

• Moderators
  • 301 posts
Whatever fire system you choose, make sure that you mount the pull or push handle to a solid mount that will not flex or crack/break/melt in a fire. I have seen too many circumstances (not just Miata) where the driver goes to pull the release for the bottle and pulls the release handle right out of the dash without activating the bottle. The other thing to consider is the location of the handle so that you can find it in the dark immediately. For all my cars, I make a bracket and mount the pulls on the transmission tunnel directly to the right of the shifter, that way in a roll over or smoke filled cockpit I know all I need to do is to find the shifter and move my hand to the right 8 inches and I have my handle. Put it wherever you want, but make sure you can find it in the dark and anyone who drives your car knows where it is located as well.
Sean Hedrick - President
www.miatacage.com
360-606-7734
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys!

ChrisA

ChrisA

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 659 posts

Do this for ballast:
http://mazdaracers.c...ballast-system/

Perfect! That is sort-of what I had in mind of designing. You just saved me a lot of time. Thanks!
Wonder what it's going to cost to ship that puppy? Hmm, USPS, "if it fits, it ships"

Chris

- George Burns

ChrisA

ChrisA

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 659 posts

Possible thread hijack, but I've been looking for an opportunity to ask this question lately.

Safecraft fire systems has 2 pull set ups.

Chris

- George Burns

RussMcB

RussMcB

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Thank you. I did a search and this PDF has pictures that show me how a two-cable system will work.

http://www.safecraft...20Guidlines.pdf

I just bought a new Safecraft system recently. Not installed yet. I've only looked in the box. It only came with one pull cable and the instructions have minimal information. It looks like I could purchase additional parts and have two pull cables plus a large push button mounted on the bottle head (or remote push cable).

Good to have options.

Racer Russ
Marietta, GA

Barber 2013 Topless

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35
Just an opinion, but i have a 10lb fire suppression system mounted in the trunk over the RR and I also have a hand held bottle in the car. I like the extra safety on having a hand held bottle in the car, a few years ago in an SCCA race at Mid Ohio. a competitor went off the track at Turn 9 (the old turn number just past Madness) and slid into the tire barrier hard, the nose of the car caught fire and it caught a tire on fire. The driver got out of the car and put out the fire external to his car with the hand held.

Have heard the the same thing in the summer where a grass fire started under the car. Just saying sometimes what you have to put out is not in the car.

I will always spend my money on my safety.

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

john mueller

john mueller

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

As does the SPA.
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

SaulSpeedwell

SaulSpeedwell

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Here's one. Oil caught shifter boot on fire.

Interesting. The oil fire was caused by a blown motor? Did anything actually erupt in flames or show evidence of flame damage OTHER than the shifter boot?

Given that SCCA and NASA went on a rollcage-sealing vendetta that resulted in record metallic duct tape sales, it is interesting to think of the shifter boot as a flammable material covering a hole right next to the driver.

Having said that - I'm wondering if you had a leaky shift turret area (cracked inner shift boot, or not sealed, old gasket, no RTV, etc.)? Or did engine oil spray all over that area? I just tried to burn a (dry) shifter boot and I couldn't get a flame anything like your video show.

For faster reply than PM:  miataboxes>>>AT<<<gmail>>DOT<<<com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users