As to the sups, I have raced 3 years in the SOWDiv and to my recolection we have never had 7 Groups, it has always been 6. Why add a group that shortens the race time of every other group?
Yes Drago, I'm still complaining, unlike you, I don't have a fudging friend, client, or sponsor that gives a damn what I say or how I say it.
Michael....back in the day when people actually showed up to races we did have 7 run groups in Southwest Division.
I do think it's interesting that when Lee asks for suggestions on how to fix things that we get about 4 responses yet the thread where people get to complain is near 300. Anyway I'll bite-
1. Do away with the registration race. Everyone who signs up gets on track.
2. Absolutely need to have timing equipment Friday. If it's a manpower issue then us SMers are going to have to step up and provide some support to make this work. It's absurd that a race of this magnitude cannot have timing equipment in place on Friday.
3. Friday AM 1/2 the group gets to qualify (all comers split them up however you want) 25 minutes, followed by the other half for 25 minutes. Will need to eliminate afternoon session but if the sessions are grouped together conditions likely to be similar.
4. Fastest 80 make the race Saturday. The others get bumped to another group (likely group 2 to run with STL, etc.). Fastest 80 times from the two races combined make the main field on Sunday other get moved to the "consolation race" (again likely in group 2).
5. Get rid of the 15 minute qualifying on Saturday and Sunday for SM and add it to the race or use the extra time for the second group. That's the tradeoff for keeping everyone involved. I know, I know GCR says there has to be a minimum practice time but it gets waived all the time.
ok- flame away!!!
By the way- I know how you feel Lee. My brother and I have tried on many different occasions to make suggestions about scheduling, etc. even using other regions/divisions as examples. However we've always been met with "we can't do that because..."