lancebe

lancebe

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:36
Hi everyone,

My name is Lance and I have stalked these forums for a while as I weighed my options as to how and what sector of club racing I was going to join. I have completed Skip Barbers 3 day school along with their 2 day advanced school. Along with that I have participated in tracks days in a variety of cars and one of them was at the Glen in an SM. With a new Job in finance lined up I decided the time was right and I made the plunge about 2 weeks ago and bought an entry level 1993 SM. I joined NJMP as a junior member since it is relatively close to me and the value of a junior membership was well worth it. I anticipate getting in at least 20 track days this season.

With the ultimate goal of entering regional races as soon as I feel comfortable with my car I wanted to get a little feedback from some of the guys on this forum. I am 23 so I acknowledge the fact that my experience and judgement may not be as impeccable as some of the older guys with years of experience. However, I am a quick learner and a good listener. I have gone through the different posts on the site but wanted some more condensed answers. I wanted to know if some of you guys would share one or if you feel so compelled a few more tips that as the years have gone on you wished you knew for your first race. Appreciate the advice in advance and I am looking forward to this exciting new chapter in my life.

Lance

Lance Bergstein

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Number:22

Hi everyone,

My name is Lance and I have stalked these forums for a while as I weighed my options as to how and what sector of club racing I was going to join. I have completed Skip Barbers 3 day school along with their 2 day advanced school. Along with that I have participated in tracks days in a variety of cars and one of them was at the Glen in an SM. With a new Job in finance lined up I decided the time was right and I made the plunge about 2 weeks ago and bought an entry level 1993 SM. I joined NJMP as a junior member since it is relatively close to me and the value of a junior membership was well worth it. I anticipate getting in at least 20 track days this season.

With the ultimate goal of entering regional races as soon as I feel comfortable with my car I wanted to get a little feedback from some of the guys on this forum. I am 23 so I acknowledge the fact that my experience and judgement may not be as impeccable as some of the older guys with years of experience. However, I am a quick learner and a good listener. I have gone through the different posts on the site but wanted some more condensed answers. I wanted to know if some of you guys would share one or if you feel so compelled a few more tips that as the years have gone on you wished you knew for your first race. Appreciate the advice in advance and I am looking forward to this exciting new chapter in my life.

Lance

Nike Philosophy. Just Do It.

Nothing prepares a person for a race like racing.
  • rob20rx7 likes this
Shattering - For those who cant drink tequila NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Majors Winner - Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Glenn

Glenn

Mid Pack Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • Region:SE
Bring your new ride to the Summit Point Drivers school in March and get your competition license. From there you can decide if this sport is for you! Trust me after a few "lapping days" you will get anxious to RACE someone, LOL

Glenn Murphey, Crew Chief
Owner Crew Chief Services The Pinnacle of Excellence, Contract Crew Services for the racing community.
Soon to be back in the club racing scene for good ;)

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Mastek

Mastek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Car Number:13
Lance,

I am not sure exactly what your question is.

However, I was in your situation a little more than a year ago, so may be able to provide some insight. First, you should realize that the SB 2+3 day schools, while very helpful, do not fully prepare you for SCCA racing. However, that should not dissuade you from jumping in. Just be careful in your first race, especially at the start, which can be very chaotic. I also recommend finding someone at the track who will explain to you what to expect - i.e. ingress and egress from the track, qualifying, gridding, splitters, pace laps, green flag, etc. A basic knowledge of what is going to happen will help relieve the tension of your first event. After the start, pay attention to situational awareness - watch your mirrors, especially if you are likely to get lapped by the leaders. Most of all, have fun!

Welcome to the fold. Good luck, and let us know how you do.

Cheers, Mike
  • KentCarter likes this

Glenn

Glenn

Mid Pack Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Lance,

I am not sure exactly what your question is.

However, I was in your situation a little more than a year ago, so may be able to provide some insight. First, you should realize that the SB 2+3 day schools, while very helpful, do not fully prepare you for SCCA racing. However, that should not dissuade you from jumping in. Just be careful in your first race, especially at the start, which can be very chaotic. I also recommend finding someone at the track who will explain to you what to expect - i.e. ingress and egress from the track, qualifying, gridding, splitters, pace laps, green flag, etc. A basic knowledge of what is going to happen will help relieve the tension of your first event. After the start, pay attention to situational awareness - watch your mirrors, especially if you are likely to get lapped by the leaders. Most of all, have fun!

Welcome to the fold. Good luck, and let us know how you do.

Cheers, Mike

Hook up with Mike Collins at Meathead Racing and we will gladly take you under our wing and prepare you to the fullest to enjoy the raceing experience!

Owner Crew Chief Services The Pinnacle of Excellence, Contract Crew Services for the racing community.

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

lancebe

lancebe

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17 posts
Thanks all for the responses thus far. My number one overall concern is safety so the first race I am sure I will be more concerned with my overall surroundings rather than my pace. Getting someone at the track to help explain the process is great recommendation. Thanks.

Lance Bergstein

KentCarter

KentCarter

Future Never Has Been

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:91
A Skippy 3+2 is more experience than most people have entering their first SCCA Regional Race. I agree with Mike. Get the basics for the track you are at:
1. How do I get to grid?
2. How do I get on the track? Off the track?
3. Where are the ambulance rides? Walls... threes... potholes...

A really good way to learn some of this is to volunteer as a worker (corner, grid, tech) at a local race. Don't wait to jump in. Just.... do it.
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

DrDomm

DrDomm

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts
  • Region:NER
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:46
We all feel the same...just do it. Track days are great, but racing is what it is about. Doing your competition school and getting your novice permit should be your main goal right now. Plan on racing THIS YEAR.

Oh, also figure out your car. Read the GCR, learn the rules, get Dave Wheeler's book. Be happy that you're 23 and have a racecar.
Domm Leuci
--because someone commented that we should all post our names, and not be anonymous. I agree.
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Anthony Ralston

Anthony Ralston

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Region:Central Florida
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:77
I'm in the exact same position as you. (same age too!) I decided to just jump in. I have no prior track experience, just autocrossing for the past 5 years (luckily in Miatas) and lots of simulation racing. (iRacing, NetKar, etc..) My driver school is at the end of the month at Roebling Road.

The only way to get comfortable in the car is by driving it. Perhaps you should autocross it a few times; I find it's a great way to become familiar with your car.

I might be talking out of my ass, but perhaps iRacing or some other online racing sim would help with racecraft and driving with traffic.

Where are you located?

DrDomm

DrDomm

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts
iRacing is harder. Have fun.
Domm Leuci
--because someone commented that we should all post our names, and not be anonymous. I agree.

Keith Andrews

Keith Andrews

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts
  • Region:CCR, SE
  • Car Number:26
Welcome to the world of SM. Your first decision to choose a SM is really important. I and many others, spent time and money, racing and tracking other cars that just don't offer what Spec Miata does. The car and class has a lot to do with your experience. Good luck and enjoy the ride.
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Anthony Ralston

Anthony Ralston

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

iRacing is harder. Have fun.

How is iRacing harder?

Brocodile

Brocodile

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • Region:SEDIV
  • Car Number:61
iRacing is harder for at least three reasons:

1. In a real car, you can FEEL changes in the car's attitude, weight shift and limits of adhesion. People refer to the seat of the pants, but it's really mostly the inner ear; i.e., sense of balance. In iRacing, all you have is your vision which, in reality, is the last of your senses to perceive those subtle but important dynamic changes (even a feedback wheel such as G27 is little help here).

2. No virtual braking setup (even those using pressure sensors rather than pedal position) can approximate real-world braking feel. This is especially acute in tight, low-speed corners where trail-braking is needed. Braking is hard to learn in both contexts, but, again, in iRacing, you are sensory-deprived.

3. iRacing does help develop racing skills, but, penalty points notwithstanding, the price of mistakes is much higher in the real word. Thus, your exposure to bone-headed dive-bombers, get-even t-boners, and similar sources of frustration is greater in iRacing. Even Spec Miata, with its reputation for mayhem is far more civilized than iRacing, at least at the lower iRacing license levels.

That said, iRacing is great training for concentration, discipline, eye placement, patience and consistency - and of course, for learning the layout and rhythm of tracks. But there's NOTHING like the real thing. Come race with us.
  • Kevin B, mellen and DrDomm like this

Skip Brock
OPM Autosports, Nelson Engines
2012 SARRC Spec Miata Champion
2012 SEDiv Regional Driver of the Year

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

DrDomm

DrDomm

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts

How is iRacing harder?

Also, as someone who has been in the grass a few times, iRacing punishes you so much more for slight off-track excursions. But as Skip says, it's mostly the lack of "feel". Great for learning track layouts though.
Domm Leuci

Anthony Ralston

Anthony Ralston

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

iRacing is harder for at least three reasons:

1. In a real car, you can FEEL changes in the car's attitude, weight shift and limits of adhesion. People refer to the seat of the pants, but it's really mostly the inner ear; i.e., sense of balance. In iRacing, all you have is your vision which, in reality, is the last of your senses to perceive those subtle but important dynamic changes (even a feedback wheel such as G27 is little help here).

2. No virtual braking setup (even those using pressure sensors rather than pedal position) can approximate real-world braking feel. This is especially acute in tight, low-speed corners where trail-braking is needed. Braking is hard to learn in both contexts, but, again, in iRacing, you are sensory-deprived.

3. iRacing does help develop racing skills, but, penalty points notwithstanding, the price of mistakes is much higher in the real word. Thus, your exposure to bone-headed dive-bombers, get-even t-boners, and similar sources of frustration is greater in iRacing. Even Spec Miata, with its reputation for mayhem is far more civilized than iRacing, at least at the lower iRacing license levels.

That said, iRacing is great training for concentration, discipline, eye placement, patience and consistency - and of course, for learning the layout and rhythm of tracks. But there's NOTHING like the real thing. Come race with us.

I agree with you, but I don't really consider that harder; just different.

I was more referring to it as a way to improve other skills aside from car control.

I am going to be racing you guys! :) Just got my novice permit today; car is being teched tonight, and the school is at the end of the month!

Also, as someone who has been in the grass a few times, iRacing punishes you so much more for slight off-track excursions. But as Skip says, it's mostly the lack of "feel". Great for learning track layouts though.

That's very good to hear. That's one thing that has always bothered me about iRacing; it's very unforgiving.

granracing

granracing

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
Lance, I spent a TON of time putting together a free online guide to answer many of the questions you have. SCCA National uses it, so it applies pretty well to SCCA. :) GoAheadTakeTheWheel.com

Member of NJMP Club, eh? Know Spencer Taylor? He's in a somewhat similar position as you. (He just recently bought my ITB car.) Might be good for you both to chat a bit. He uses a shop, Maximum Attack Motorsports run by Brandon and Ed, who are right near NJMP. I think they'd be a good option for you locally.

I personally haven't been a huge fan of iRacing but it could be related to the computer set-up I was using. Couldn't even get around LRP in a car without crashing off course. You have an awesome advantage of being a NJMP member and lots of track time. Just use it wisely and to your advantage.
Dave Gran
Want to learn how to begin racing, tips on building / buying a racecar,
becoming a front-running drive, or get vehicle reviews
from a motorsports enthusiast perspective? Visit our free site:
GoAheadTakeTheWheel.com

lancebe

lancebe

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17 posts
Thanks for all the responses.

Anthony I am located in New York. Doing the skip barber schools actually allows me to apply for a license without doing an scca school I believe but I could be wrong.

I will take a look at go ahead take the wheel. I don't know Spencer, this will be my first season as a member of njmp so I actually do not know anyone there yet.

Lance Bergstein

granracing

granracing

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
Do at least one SCCA school as well. It will help you learn more about the "SCCA culture", they offer a great learning experience, and are sooooooooo much fun. Skippy schools are great, but I really wouldn't miss out on doing at least one SCCA school as well. Maybe do it at a track you'd like to race at (the Glen, LRP, Summit Point?) but don't know yet.
Dave Gran
Want to learn how to begin racing, tips on building / buying a racecar,
becoming a front-running drive, or get vehicle reviews
from a motorsports enthusiast perspective? Visit our free site:
GoAheadTakeTheWheel.com

lancebe

lancebe

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17 posts
Dave,

The plan for now is 5 track days in march. Then an SCCA school and regional race in April or May. Skippy actually has the audacity to charge you 200 bucks to get the letters that they send to SCCA verifying that you have completed their courses. For another $150 I can do an SCCA school instead and get track time out of it so its really a no brainer. It looks like there is a school at NJMP on April 6th. Since my car is being stored at NJMP I think that one makes the most sense for me as I wont have to worry about transporting the car just yet and they guy working on my car is based out of Melville as well. That course is enough for me to get a regional license correct?

Lance Bergstein

Glenn

Glenn

Mid Pack Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Dave,

The plan for now is 5 track days in march. Then an SCCA school and regional race in April or May. Skippy actually has the audacity to charge you 200 bucks to get the letters that they send to SCCA verifying that you have completed their courses. For another $150 I can do an SCCA school instead and get track time out of it so its really a no brainer. It looks like there is a school at NJMP on April 6th. Since my car is being stored at NJMP I think that one makes the most sense for me as I wont have to worry about transporting the car just yet and they guy working on my car is based out of Melville as well. That course is enough for me to get a regional license correct?

Better check the school schedules CLOSELY as I do not know of any double schools after Mar. and without BOTH you can not race regionally....

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Advice, New, newbie, experienced

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users