29 replies to this topic

Bad Rusty

Bad Rusty

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts
  • Region:Arizona
  • Car Year:1999
Without giving away any area 51 top secrets, would someone mind helping a mid pack guy with the set up changes you think are best as we move to the Hoosier this year, we were on the RA-1 (In San Fran Region SCCA)? I would assume less camber, but then again, it's an assumption.....Thanks in advance for the help!
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995
There you go...mid pack again :shame: :D Go to TFB...he will take care of you. But would be great if an East Coast guy would chime in. Or maybe 1 of our northern enem...i mean friends :P

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995
Can someone tell me why my posts keep coming out with different size fonts...I'm not doing this??? Ceaser??

Ron

RAmotorsports

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

Without giving away any area 51 top secrets, would someone mind helping a mid pack guy with the set up changes you think are best as we move to the Hoosier this year, we were on the RA-1 (In San Fran Region SCCA)? I would assume less camber, but then again, it's an assumption.....Thanks in advance for the help!

Start at the same exact set up, don't change anything and tune from there
Jim
  • JRHille likes this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Bad Rusty

Bad Rusty

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts
Ron, your typing is much better near midnight...wierd...Jim, thanks, that was the plan, and we'll know a lot by cross section temps. If only i could improve the driver by putting air in, or taking it out...That would be awesome...
Rusty
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts
  • Region:FL
  • Car Number:39
My setup is pretty much the same as when I was on TOYOS. However in corners with extended high G loads, like Turn 1 at Road Atlanta, you might find that you are now rubbing the inside of the front tire well and possibly the fender. Going up marginally on ride height all around as well as rolling the fender if needed will cure all.

Here are a few of my observations of Hoosier differences over Toyo. Others can chime in as needed
  • much faster at turn in and mid corner (significant gains in corners overall)
  • slightly slower on main straights
  • stickers do not need to be scrubbed
  • more confidence inspiring
  • not as many heat cycles before performance noticeably drops off
  • if driven really hard from start of the race, grip will fall off the cliff at around the 10-12 min mark, and then if you back off to 9/10ths, will come back completely
  • you will buy more H's than T's
  • better track side support
  • no shaving
  • H2O makes you feel like GOD!!! But will wear fast when track dries out.
Hope this helps
  • James York likes this

Danny
Danny Steyn Racing | DSR YouTube Channel
Danny Steyn Photography | Adept Studios | Ocean MachineryOPM AutosportsRossini Racing Engines | G-Loc Brakes | 

2 x SCCA Runoffs Champ | 1 x NASA National Champ | 6 x June Sprints Champ | 10 x ARRC Champ

1 x SCCA Super Sweep | 2 x Triple Crown | 4 x Hoosier Super Tour Points Champ | 6 x Majors Points Champ | 5 x SEDiv Driver of the Year

June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner -

Bad Rusty

Bad Rusty

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts
Thanks Danny, I really appreciate it. Since I "already" enjoy racing in the rain, I can't even imagine how much more fun it will be!

Thanks

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

• H2O makes you feel like GOD!!! But will wear fast when track dries out.
Hope this helps

I wonder if Toyo is working on a dedicated rain tire. Now that they have come out with the RR it would be nice if they did a dedicated Rain.

You are right Danny going to the Toyo RA-1 to the H20 is unreal. its way faster.

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Cy Peake

Cy Peake

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
  • Region:NER
  • Car Number:7
The Hoosiers are wider than RA1s (which is why they're slower on the straights/air resistance). I can't get two sets of them into my tire rack plus the trailer spare like I could with the Toyos. I'm going with the Toyo RR this season in hopes of greater durability than the Hoosiers. Most of us regional drivers can't afford the every weekend Hoosier tire budget that the top 1% of national (and some regional) drivers can so thank you Jerry for getting multiple tires approved for the 2013 NER season.

-Cy
Supported by LTD Racing

2011 + 2013 NER STU Champion

William Bonsell

William Bonsell

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 398 posts
  • Region:Northwest

The Hoosiers are wider than RA1s (which is why they're slower on the straights/air resistance). I can't get two sets of them into my tire rack plus the trailer spare like I could with the Toyos. I'm going with the Toyo RR this season in hopes of greater durability than the Hoosiers. Most of us regional drivers can't afford the every weekend Hoosier tire budget that the top 1% of national (and some regional) drivers can so thank you Jerry for getting multiple tires approved for the 2013 NER season.

Lucky region. Some of us are stuck with Hoosier with no chance to run the RR unless STU or STL....and what's the fun in that given the lack of cars.

fishguyaz

fishguyaz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • Region:AZ
  • Car Number:92
where in the SM rules does it say that we are allowed to roll the fenders.

not to be a jerk, just asking before i do the same to my car.
Josh Pitt
1999 SM #92 SoPac division

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts
Not to be a jerk, just asking, have you read the rules? Because it does say that rolling the fenders is permitted.
2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion

fishguyaz

fishguyaz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • Region:AZ
  • Car Number:92

Not to be a jerk, just asking, have you read the rules? Because it does say that rolling the fenders is permitted.

Moose,
honestly i have not read the rules, they seem to change and have additions to them frequently enough that i let other experts read them and interpret. its why i own a formula ford..............the rules are the same from decade to decade.

I read the rules back in 2006 when i bought into this class.; reading the rules now, hte only thing that is the same the letters on the side of the car indicating class.

the only way i can keep up with the rules,with my current amount of participation(minimal), and still have interest in the class is to let others read/digest, and interpret the current spec for the class.

moose i respect you; your post was valid and just, I wasnt trying to be an ass.....................i have found that generally the rules are whatever the fast guys are saying is currently acceptable. the whole tech shed legal vs written legal crap is discouraging.
I have had people tell me that i cannot have duct tape accross my roof /windshiled seam to smooth up the airflow over the car. its not written in the rules that you can, but all the fast guys were doing this when i went out of state. now I do this with my car.

respectfully,
Josh
Josh Pitt
1999 SM #92 SoPac division

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts
And I'm not trying to be an ass but every competitor is responsible for knowing the rules, and are required to have a copy with them at the event.

Remember this; if the rulebook doesn't say you can - then you can't. As my mom use to say, "If everyone else jumped off a clift would you have to do it too?" :D
  • Jim Drago, Bad Rusty and Anthony Ralston like this
2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts

I read the rules back in 2006 when i bought into this class.; reading the rules now, hte only thing that is the same the letters on the side of the car indicating class.

the only way i can keep up with the rules,with my current amount of participation(minimal), and still have interest in the class is to let others read/digest, and interpret the current spec for the class.

Josh,
With all due respect.. That is absolute $#%^%&*!

​BTW, Sandlin was written up for running tape over the hardtop/windshield frame seam, so I would remove. Also no longer allowed to tape the rad screen ( The Anti East Street Rule) to control temps.

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

I have had people tell me that i cannot have duct tape accross my roof /windshiled seam to smooth up the airflow over the car. its not written in the rules that you can, but all the fast guys were doing this when i went out of state. now I do this with my car.

respectfully,
Josh

One day one of the BIG Boys from out of state had duct tape (decal, had writting on duct tape) across the roof /windshiled seam. I questioned the legality of said decal. Needless to say that comment started a wetting match.

C. Authorized Modifications

"Permitted components or modifications must not perform a prohibited function. "

This may fire up those with the Winnie protest coments, who cares. :whistling: If people are duct taping the roof /windshiled seam there is a perceived gain.
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

pat slattery

pat slattery

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  • Region:Cincinnati
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:79

[/size]
Josh,
With all due respect.. That is absolute $#%^%&*!

​BTW, Sandlin was written up for running tape over the hardtop/windshield frame seam, so I would remove. Also no longer allowed to tape the rad screen ( The Anti East Street Rule) to control temps.

Jim, Is tape on the radiator core still allowed to control heat?

I might add that people have been rolling fenders for as long as I can remember. You are still limited to track width but fender rolling can be a safety improvement to keep from cutting a tire.

Pat

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts

Jim, Is tape on the radiator core still allowed to control heat?

Pat
The radiator is open, so yes.
However, it is a royal pain in the ass as we have to remove the rad as you can't get to the front of the rad without art least taking the top nuts off.. In the NA cars, I suppose you might be able to get your hand in there where the upper support seat goes, can't remember. The 99 up, no way to do less removing the bolts from radiator. No simple adjustments in tape either, like adding more or shortening length.

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

pat slattery

pat slattery

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  • Region:Cincinnati
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:79
In a 1.6 car you can reach up and get some tape in there if you don't mind some scraped hands :)

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

William Bonsell

William Bonsell

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 398 posts
  • Region:Northwest
Speaking of tape, what of those who run tape along the top of the R chin spoiler to cover the small gap between the spoiler and the bumper cover. Illegal, correct?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users