• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

Jake Bailey

Jake Bailey

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Region:Georgia
I was at the OPM test day at Roebling helping out my uncle (which by the way was a very well put on event by OPM, great track side assistance and lots of coaching and guiding by Tom Fowler) and saw that one of the cars had a carbon fiber vinyl type wrap/sticker on the dash and around the steering column. It was pretty cool looking to be honest and thought about doing to my own car. I was wondering if anybody has ever done this and has any comment, such as advice on brands, how to apply, and what steps to take to apply. Thanks for the advice! -Jake
NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Bruce Wilson

Bruce Wilson

Gold Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts
  • Region:Oregon
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:68
3M brand works awesome. It's thick but pliable, especially when you apply heat.

I have an opinion so I must be right

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Survivalist - Won 25 Hours at Thunderhill! We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14
You might ask Tom about the stuff. IIRC Danny has some on his front vertical tubes in his roll cage.
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jake Bailey

Jake Bailey

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12 posts
Thanks for the help guys.
NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Adax

Adax

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • Region:ATL
  • Car Number:49
That was my car.

3M Dinoc is what you are looking for. A heat gun helps with compound curves but it still takes a while to perfect the technique.

Alan Cross

My build blog

2017 SARRC SM Champion

2016 SARRC SM ECR Champion

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jake Bailey

Jake Bailey

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12 posts
Alan, very nice looking car. What steps did you take to install it? Did you take off the dash or steering column? Thanks for the help, much appreciated. -Jake

Adax

Adax

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
Absolutely everything must be removed to apply the film. Start on some of the flatter things to get comfortable with the stuff. For curved surface edges you will need to use 3M Primer 94 to keep the edges from lifting up (I've learned this since the Miata project). The instrument hood is the hardest part of all - do it last.

Like most of my projects, I could do it better the second time.

Alan Cross

My build blog

2017 SARRC SM Champion

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Adax

Adax

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
Here's a picture of it with the Alcantera dash

Posted Image

Alan Cross

My build blog

2017 SARRC SM Champion

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts
  • Region:FL
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:39
And while it looks great in pics, it looks even better in real life - awesome work Alan!

PS. Ask Alan to show you his CoolBox system - (another work of art)

Danny
Danny Steyn Racing | DSR YouTube Channel
Danny Steyn Photography | Adept Studios | Ocean MachineryOPM AutosportsRossini Racing Engines | G-Loc Brakes | 

2 x SCCA Runoffs Champ | 1 x NASA National Champ | 6 x June Sprints Champ | 10 x ARRC Champ

1 x SCCA Super Sweep | 2 x Triple Crown | 4 x Hoosier Super Tour Points Champ | 6 x Majors Points Champ | 5 x SEDiv Driver of the Year

June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner -

DamonB06

DamonB06

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Region:Buccaneer
  • Car Number:06
That dash really does look awesome. For anyone who doesn't know Alan, he is as meticulous as it gets. I know he spent countless hours getting that right.

Jake Bailey

Jake Bailey

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12 posts
Alan, really appreciate the help. I'm glad you put a picture of yours because i'm still in the process of convincing my dad to let me do it. :spin: Hopefully it turns out as good as yours, i'll let you guys know how it turns out. Again, really appreciate yall's responses. :wave2: -Jake

CruzanTom

CruzanTom

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts
  • Region:Southeast
  • Car Number:44

Here's a picture of it with the Alcantera dash

Posted Image

Alan

Now you have let your secret out - KERS! :thumbsup: I want one!

Tom
  • john mueller likes this

Tom Hart

#44 SM and T-4

2014 SC Driver of the Year

2015 SE Championship Series Spec Miata Champion

2016 SE Championship Series Spec Miata Champion

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Chris Fulton

Chris Fulton

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Region:SE Region
  • Car Number:38
Where did the Alacantra dash come from? Both looks cool!

Adax

Adax

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Where did the Alacantra dash come from? Both looks cool!

Alcantara from Ebay and 3M medium upholstery adhesive spray. The hardest part will likely be removing and disassembling the dash, but you will be 1/4 of the way there with the CF project.

AC

Alan Cross

My build blog

2017 SARRC SM Champion

David S.

David S.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • Region:Mid-Atlantic
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:07
That dash is beautiful.

Glenn

Glenn

Mid Pack Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • Region:SE
And the best part is its worth 10 HP at every track he races :king: Great looking Alan!!!

Glenn Murphey, Crew Chief
Owner Crew Chief Services The Pinnacle of Excellence, Contract Crew Services for the racing community.
Soon to be back in the club racing scene for good ;)

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Sphinx

Sphinx

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts
Yours has to be the only SM with KERS! :)

Adax

Adax

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Yours has to be the only SM with KERS! :)

Stewards always seem to forget to turn on the activation zone though. Too bad I'm not going to COTA, I know it would work there.

Alan Cross

My build blog

2017 SARRC SM Champion

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users