RussMcB

RussMcB

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • Region:SEDiv
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:57

There is a good chance I'll buy a Traq Dash soon.  It's popular here in the southeast, and I like the video integration, especially its ability to turn on the camera.

But, I had bad experiences with GoPro's first two versions, and I swore I'd never try one again.  That was with an open wheel car, though, so I'm guessing they survive better in closed cars.

Are they pretty close to 100% reliable now?

Are there mounting suggestions to help reliability and video quality?

TIA.

Racer Russ
Marietta, GA
Former SM racer (now back in a formula car)

Barber 2013 Topless

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:91

Hit and miss for me.  Sometimes files go corrupt, not sure why.  Could be the camera, could be the card.

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Adax

Adax

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • Region:ATL
  • Car Number:49

Wait about a month and Traqmate will have full support for this which looks better to me.

http://replayxd.com/...-camera-system/

Alan Cross

My build blog

2017 SARRC SM Champion

2016 SARRC SM ECR Champion

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

fotostars

fotostars

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 312 posts
  • Car Year:1997
  • Car Number:63

I've had ZERO problems with my GoPro, about 15 WE on it...

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

RussMcB

RussMcB

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Hit and miss for me.  Sometimes files go corrupt, not sure why.  Could be the camera, could be the card.

Back when I was trying to get more reliability from my GoPro I adopted a "reformat the disk" routine before every new session.  It might have helped.  Dunno for sure.

Wait about a month and Traqmate will have full support for this which looks better to me.

That's good news.  I've heard good things about the Replay.  I'm glad I posted the question.  Thanks Alan.

Racer Russ
Marietta, GA

Barber 2013 Topless

CruzanTom

CruzanTom

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts
  • Region:Southeast
  • Car Number:44

There is a good chance I'll buy a Traq Dash soon.  It's popular here in the southeast, and I like the video integration, especially its ability to turn on the camera.

But, I had bad experiences with GoPro's first two versions, and I swore I'd never try one again.  That was with an open wheel car, though, so I'm guessing they survive better in closed cars.

Are they pretty close to 100% reliable now?

Are there mounting suggestions to help reliability and video quality?

TIA.

I use GoPros every session and I have no problems. The TraqMate integration and automatic syncing works perfectly. I have one mounted on my roll cage and another outside on the rear trunk lid (or boot lid as they say on Top Gear). The ease of use of the GoPro/TraqMate combination makes it worthwhile. I believe NASA even requires it now.

• Blake Thompson likes this

Tom Hart

#44 SM and T-4

2014 SC Driver of the Year

2015 SE Championship Series Spec Miata Champion

2016 SE Championship Series Spec Miata Champion

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Sphinx

Sphinx

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts
  • Region:ATL

I continue to be a bit annoyed that the various manufacturers haven't reached agreement on a common standard for controlling cameras.  First we had firewire and the iLink.  And now even apple has dropped support for firewire.  So, to download from my old firewire camera, I can't use my new laptop, but have to use an older desktop.

And now, there are a bunch of cameras on the market from some of the big name manufacturers, none of which use a common standard, to my knowledge.

However, given that video cameras of old used to be easily controlled with non-proprietary PC based programs (movie maker, etc.), obviously it can be done.

I will say that I do like the replayXD, but think that all of these cameras are currently overpriced.  So, till the prices come down some, I'm sticking with my trusty miniDV.

Blake Thompson

Blake Thompson

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:137

I have a lot of issues with digital cameras doing this.  Often turning on the camera and accessing the file via the camera will repair it.

BTDTRacing, LLC - ISellMiataParts.com

"I'm not making any money doing this, I'm purely doing it out of ego." - Paul Tracy

2011 Midwestern Council Spec Miata series champion

2015 Winner, SM - Midwestern Council: A Legen-Dairy Enduro, Co-Driver Stephanie Andersen

2015 Winner, ITA - Midwestern Council, Blackhawk Formula Festival

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Donor - Made PayPal donation Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Blake Thompson

Blake Thompson

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts

I continue to be a bit annoyed that the various manufacturers haven't reached agreement on a common standard for controlling cameras.  First we had firewire and the iLink.  And now even apple has dropped support for firewire.  So, to download from my old firewire camera, I can't use my new laptop, but have to use an older desktop.

And now, there are a bunch of cameras on the market from some of the big name manufacturers, none of which use a common standard, to my knowledge.

However, given that video cameras of old used to be easily controlled with non-proprietary PC based programs (movie maker, etc.), obviously it can be done.

I will say that I do like the replayXD, but think that all of these cameras are currently overpriced.  So, till the prices come down some, I'm sticking with my trusty miniDV.

a number of them have wifi connectivity.  It's a standard.  It's slow as shit, but that's the cost of using an industry standard.  I thought IEEE-1394 ("firewire" ®) was owned by some corp?

"I'm not making any money doing this, I'm purely doing it out of ego." - Paul Tracy

2015 Winner, SM - Midwestern Council: A Legen-Dairy Enduro, Co-Driver Stephanie Andersen

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Donor - Made PayPal donation Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Blake Thompson

Blake Thompson

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts

another outside on the rear trunk lid (or boot lid as they say on Top Gear). The ease of use of the GoPro/TraqMate combination makes it worthwhile. I believe NASA even requires it now.

for "when a car is up your trumpet"

• William Bonsell likes this

Blake Thompson

Blake Thompson

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts

In my opinion the battery on the replay is not on par with the gopro.  The video is otherwise similar in quality now.  there is more industry and social support for the gopro.

Zauskycop

Zauskycop

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 250 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Number:45

I LOVE my gopro/traqdash setup.   Love it even more with the power cable which allows me to not ever have to remove and charge the battery!

• mellen likes this
Tracy Ramsey
45 SM

Brocodile

Brocodile

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • Region:SEDIV
  • Car Number:61

Traqdash + GoPro. Auto on/off. Video/Data sync. Even a techno-retard like me can use it. Never a problem all season.

Skip Brock
OPM Autosports, Nelson Engines
2012 SARRC Spec Miata Champion
2012 SEDiv Regional Driver of the Year

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Mastek

Mastek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Car Number:13
I have 3 GoPro cameras, been using them for over a year. Estimated total of 240 track sessions. NO problems whatsoever. However, I do not have the TraqDash interface. I use Race Render to overlay the data.
Mike

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
  • Region:South west
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:41

The ease of use of the GoPro/TraqMate combination makes it worthwhile. I believe NASA even requires it now.

Is this true? I just checked the most recent ccr. I couldn't find any such rule.

-tch
Build: www.tomhampton.info

video: vimeo.com/tomhampton

Support: X-Factor Racing

I didn't lose, I just got outspent!

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts

Is this true? I just checked the most recent ccr. I couldn't find any such rule.

In NASA Norcal for sure. not sure about the rest of the country.

http://mazdaracers.c...-group-a-supps/

Ron

RAmotorsports

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts

In NASA Norcal for sure. not sure about the rest of the country.

http://mazdaracers.c...-group-a-supps/

Just the camera, not any camera in particular.

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

HoneyBadger - BrianW

HoneyBadger - BrianW

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Number:59

It's not necessary in our region Tom.
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

RussMcB

RussMcB

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Currently my car has nothing but the stock Miata gauges.

Can I hear your thoughts regarding the different combinations of TraqDash, stock and aftermarket gauges?  For instance:

1. Do most people keep the stock gauge panel to have a working fuel gauge? 
  2. Does a TraqDash eliminate the need for common race gauges like oil pressure and water temp? *
  3. What has worked well (and not so well) regarding placement of the TraqDash and aftermarket gauges?

Lastly, as I think of which options to include when I order the new TraqDash, what are the best bang for the buck extra cost options?  (I am planning to have at least one controlled camera).

Thanks very much for any comments.

* My last race car had an Aim Mychron Gold XGLog, and it alone had everything I needed.  With its display and warning lights, I did not need any other gauges.

Racer Russ
Marietta, GA

Barber 2013 Topless

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts

Update, my GoPro mangled the mp4 for my last race.  The audio cut out a few seconds before I shut it off and that made Dashware crash on trying to open it.  Youtube could handle it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users