Photo

Need help with college ethnography essay! (the study of racers)

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

Joey Jordan

Joey Jordan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Region:SO CAL
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:47

For my cultural anthropology class my teacher assigned me to write an ethnography on an American sub culture.  Which basically means I need to study a group of people.  I couldnt think of a better group of people than racers.  SInce I've been racing for only a couple of years now I would appreciate some input from some of you with much more experince in the culture that is racers.

Some of the questions that need to be answered:

What regalia or costumes or clothing do they wear and how does it
compare or contrast with the general population?

What makes the group understudy unique--in other words what
makes them a group, a clan, a family.

Describe the food and drink involved with the group. How does it
reflect or relate to the make-up of the group--what role does food and drink
play? Are there “food rituals’?

Did you note any mating rituals or courtship within the group? How
so? What are the rituals or acts that you would associate with
mating/dating/courtship/hooking up in the group?

What can you see and say about status and role? Are there leaders,
followers, status, egalitarianism, --gender within this topic? How did/do the
“leaders” gain or come to power?  What
are the manifestations of status and role?

Give examples of non-verbal communication that you may have noted in the
group.

That is just some of the things to respond to but anything will help.  Any sort of ritual that we do or how we interact.  Love to hear some great input!

Thanks- Joey

Majors Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Majors Winner -

Tyler Dahl

Tyler Dahl

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • Car Number:70
I wear a helmet and boxers when going thru the paddock.

We race girl cars.

PBR and anything that you can cook medium rare. Hard liquor if you only have alittle bit of time before the race.

We bump draft but I don't think anyone has successfully knocked up another car.

Our leader goes by JD the 2nd, then theres MC, AC, DS, KW and maybe some KY. As far as groups we have the East Street, OPM, ADVANCED-Auto, RM, Oregon boys, Texans, etc.

We have the line up hand gesture and the your number 1!!

If you need any more help let me know.
  • john mueller and Alberto like this

Tyler Dahl

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Donor - Made PayPal donation Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

makus0025

makus0025

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:25

http://1.bp.blogspot...s400/poster.jpg

I spend all my money on racing so the only new clothing I have since i started 3 years ago is the free t-shirts I get at races

Alberto

Alberto

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Region:SFR
  • Car Year:1990

For my cultural anthropology class my teacher assigned me to write an ethnography on an American sub culture.  Which basically means I need to study a group of people.  I couldnt think of a better group of people than racers.  SInce I've been racing for only a couple of years now I would appreciate some input from some of you with much more experince in the culture that is racers.

Some of the questions that need to be answered:

Race suits of varying styles, colors and expense. 

Helmets.

Funny hats.

I hear some people wear red under garments under their race suits - b/c red is faster

What makes the group understudy unique--in other words what
makes them a group, a clan, a family.

The mutual desire for the drug called racing.  Adrenaline.  The thrill of victory.  The desire for a chance at victory and the progression and learning to achieve it.

Describe the food and drink involved with the group. How does it
reflect or relate to the make-up of the group--what role does food and drink
play? Are there “food rituals’?

Casa Ramos at Willows, CA

Communal beers after the race day.  It's like communion wine or something.

Did you note any mating rituals or courtship within the group? How
so? What are the rituals or acts that you would associate with
mating/dating/courtship/hooking up in the group?

Besides the aforementioned bump drafting w/ cars bumping uglies, I haven't noticed anyone trying to bump w/o body parts.  Minor exception for those that bring women to the event or female drivers.  Chicks in race suits are hot.

What can you see and say about status and role? Are there leaders,
followers, status, egalitarianism, --gender within this topic? How did/do the
“leaders” gain or come to power?  What
are the manifestations of status and role?

Only leaders I can think of are the Race Directors, flaggers etc.  Beyond that, it's a cock fight waiting to happen.  Everyone is friendly in the pits and willing to help each other on track and off but we all want to win.

Give examples of non-verbal communication that you may have noted in the
group.

1 fingered salutes and open hand waves

The occasional grunting and grumbling

That is just some of the things to respond to but anything will help.  Any sort of ritual that we do or how we interact.  Love to hear some great input!

Thanks- Joey

Biggest ritual is as a driver enters the car before a session.  Process of getting in, tightening belts, turning on stuff, thinking about the race or session.  Concentration.  Thought.  Strategy.  Where's my pass going to be?  Who's around me?  What are their weaknesses?  Which turn can I challenge them?

Once you get in the car, it's the most peaceful yet intense mental and physical experience.  Total concentration.  Nothing but the moment in your surroundings.  Almost like sex but less moaning and screaming. ;)  Attack the track.  Attack your competitors.  Try and improve your position and get closer to the win.  Size up your opponent.  Find a weakness.  Make a pass.  Yes.  The thrill.  The adrenaline.  More.  onto the next victim.  It ends too soon. 

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Joey Jordan

Joey Jordan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Thanks for your incite guys. It's very helpful and it was very halarious!

Majors Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Majors Winner -

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts
I've met a fairly diverse demographic in racing although most club racers tend to be professionally employed; physicians, attorneys, a lobbyist, a lot of engineer types, marketers, etc. The common denominator is a love of cars and competition. Also, if your grade is based in part on spelling and grammar, which it should be, I'm reasonably certain you meant "insight" and "hilarious"
2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14
what makes them a group, a clan, a family. = willingness as competitors to support/encorage each other

mating/dating/courtship/hooking up in the group? = team racing

How did/do the “leaders” gain or come to power? = always at the pointy end
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

wheel

wheel

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts
  • Region:KC
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:20

There are also hook-ups that cross cultural boundaries, as in racers with corner workers, etc.  However, there is no known case of anyone hooking up with a steward.

wheel

• Rob Burgoon likes this

Blake Thompson

Blake Thompson

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Number:137

SUCKERS.  You did his or her homework for him or her. 

BTDTRacing, LLC - ISellMiataParts.com

"I'm not making any money doing this, I'm purely doing it out of ego." - Paul Tracy

2011 Midwestern Council Spec Miata series champion

2015 Winner, SM - Midwestern Council: A Legen-Dairy Enduro, Co-Driver Stephanie Andersen

2015 Winner, ITA - Midwestern Council, Blackhawk Formula Festival

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Donor - Made PayPal donation Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Blake Thompson

Blake Thompson

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Number:137

I've met a fairly diverse demographic in racing although most club racers tend to be professionally employed; physicians, attorneys, a lobbyist, a lot of engineer types, marketers, etc. The common denominator is a love of cars and competition. Also, if your grade is based in part on spelling and grammar, which it should be, I'm reasonably certain you meant "insight" and "hilarious"

It read better the other way.  Uppity researcher.

BTDTRacing, LLC - ISellMiataParts.com

"I'm not making any money doing this, I'm purely doing it out of ego." - Paul Tracy

2011 Midwestern Council Spec Miata series champion

2015 Winner, SM - Midwestern Council: A Legen-Dairy Enduro, Co-Driver Stephanie Andersen

2015 Winner, ITA - Midwestern Council, Blackhawk Formula Festival

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Donor - Made PayPal donation Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Joey Jordan

Joey Jordan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Yea that was the main theme of my essay.  Great diversity in people who all share a common goal.  And for the spellng I hope he doesnt grade harshly cause I suk at spelling.

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:91

Moose, you left out "and access to a big pile of money"

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Fetusdoc

Fetusdoc

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Region:Mid Atlantic
  • Car Year:2004
  • Car Number:16

I am not a competitive racer as those who have responded to your request.

Someday I may be there, but for now I just run in the HPDE (high performance driving education) programs that help train drivers to someday join the racing core.

Reading the comment lines it is clear that competition changes the focus and goal of the driving experience. They drive to win, something that can only be experienced by those who paid their dues, put in the time and proved they had the skills necessary to succeed. Perhaps they are the pedators that move on to the level of head to head competition driven to suceed and win. But I think we all started from the same place. The pure joy of driving fast, the partnership between the car and the driver, the never ending desire to perfect technique, drive the perfect line, conquer each corner one at a time and then the small secrets we all learn to gain a bit of time on each lap once we understand the personality of each track. It is kind of a love affair early on, a sensory experience, pushing the limits slowly one step at a time, moving past safe and relishing the results. The joy of an almost perfect lap all coming together. I think this is where we all started from and that is why we all share a common heritage that generates respect, collegiality and the "race" culture that encourages the interaction at all levels of the sport and encourages drivers/racers to share information, experience and lessons learned across the hiarachy of newbie's like me to the "hardened" professionals where it is "game on". Perhaps they promote the success of us newbies so that they have fresh meat for the future?

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts

And for the spellng I hope he doesnt grade harshly cause I suk at spelling.

A professor once told me, "Not everyone will be an artist, but anyone can be a craftsman."

Be a craftsman.

2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Fetusdoc

Fetusdoc

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Region:Mid Atlantic
  • Car Year:2004
  • Car Number:16

So who is the artist and who is the craftsman?

Think that both live within those who drive to reach perfection and win, and those who drive for the pure joy of the experience and yet strive toward the perfect lap (hopefully in multiple succession).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users