RussMcB

RussMcB

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • Region:SEDiv
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:57

From what i could tell in the pics, the right side bracket and backing plate are bolted through that east street panel. If that panel was welded in id say no problem but you are really just relying on those few rivets to hold that panel in which i dont think are adequate. Not to mention your harness eyelet is on the seat bracket which is a bad idea and relying on those rivets as well. I have mounted probably over a hundred miata seats and i rarely have to remove the stock front mounting bracket, i think it really strengthens the floor.

I like those east street panels and im not knocking your work, i just think seats need to be strongly secured for the belts to serve their purpose.

Jedd, thanks for your input.  One of the reasons I posted was to give people some options to consider and discuss.  As we build our cars, there are lots of decisions and compromises, all with pros and cons.

I don't disagree with your comments, but please understand two things:

1) the two stud plates are not individual, stand alone fasteners.  On each side they are 2' long.

2) Nothing is solely bolted to the riveted tunnel panel.  The load is spread over the entire 2', which, on the right side, is mostly a combination of the stock floor board and the tunnel panel.

Admittedly, I can't provide numbers to prove what force it would take to rip the mounts out of the car, but it would be substantial.  I'm convinced these stud strips are stronger than four individual fasteners (even with 4"x4" backing plates).

I agree that leaving the cross brace in would strengthen the floor but I felt it was a worthwhile compromise.

Lastly, I'm not thrilled with my right side lap belt attachment, but it is stronger than if I had attached the eyebolt into the thinner tunnel sheet metal.  You can't see it in the pictures, but there is some reinforcement that helps put some of the force in-line (tension rather than just shear).

• Jim Drago likes this

Racer Russ
Marietta, GA
Former SM racer (now back in a formula car)

Barber 2013 Topless

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Blake Thompson

Blake Thompson

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:137

Just about finished installing mine but the welder ran out of wire.  I have this bruise on my chest that for the whole day I couldn't figure out what it was from... till that night, I leaned back over my nascar bars to begin cutting again and there it is.  4-5 hours of draping myself over steel bars took its toll.

I figure I'll have 8 hours into this install by the time I'm done.  I imagine a shop would do that in less than half the time, I am easily distracted.

After installing and seeing how much of the car is cut into the put the panel in place I can't imagine why someone would use pop rivets instead of welding.  I really think you are asking for a disaster.

BTDTRacing, LLC - ISellMiataParts.com

"I'm not making any money doing this, I'm purely doing it out of ego." - Paul Tracy

2011 Midwestern Council Spec Miata series champion

2015 Winner, SM - Midwestern Council: A Legen-Dairy Enduro, Co-Driver Stephanie Andersen

2015 Winner, ITA - Midwestern Council, Blackhawk Formula Festival

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Donor - Made PayPal donation Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

RussMcB

RussMcB

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • Region:SEDiv
  • Car Number:57

After installing and seeing how much of the car is cut into the put the panel in place I can't imagine why someone would use pop rivets instead of welding.  I really think you are asking for a disaster.

Disaster?  That's a strong word.  What do you think might happen?

I wonder if you removed a lot more metal than I did.  Take a look at my first picture.  I only removed enough to allow the new panel to fit.  The panel is a lot bigger than the hole it is covering.

http://mazdaracers.c...ea-mount-humps/

Racer Russ
Marietta, GA
Former SM racer (now back in a formula car)

Barber 2013 Topless

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Number:72

Yes Blake, it can be done much faster.

I have used many of these, they are great. But I would never just rivet them in. Even if you don't consider it structural due to the installation of the roll cage, it is definately important to the security of the seat mounting. The rivets should be temporary for allignment purposes. But you really do need to weld it properly

Dave

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Blake Thompson

Blake Thompson

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:137

Yes Blake, it can be done much faster.

I have used many of these, they are great. But I would never just rivet them in. Even if you don't consider it structural due to the installation of the roll cage, it is definately important to the security of the seat mounting. The rivets should be temporary for allignment purposes. But you really do need to weld it properly

Dave

hey dave, do youse guys remove the drivetrain to weld the inside?  I think the trans tail piece might be in the way, but the drivetrain is out of my car and still in Steph's

BTDTRacing, LLC - ISellMiataParts.com

"I'm not making any money doing this, I'm purely doing it out of ego." - Paul Tracy

2011 Midwestern Council Spec Miata series champion

2015 Winner, SM - Midwestern Council: A Legen-Dairy Enduro, Co-Driver Stephanie Andersen

2015 Winner, ITA - Midwestern Council, Blackhawk Formula Festival

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Donor - Made PayPal donation Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users