Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:91

Anyone using more than -3* of static rear camber?

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Jamz14

Jamz14

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

Hey Rob,

I don't know exactly what our camber setting is in the rear. However, with all straight parts, I set up the rear to have full camber on the bolts, and then adjust one of the bolts to bring the toe to whatever we are looking for. Then adjust after feedback and tire temps.

Do you happen to know what max camber is assuming that you have both cam bolts adjusted for max camber and disregarding what the toe comes out to? I suppose if the car is capable of camber greater than -3 then we might be over -3 as we rarely dial camber back out. This may be all wrong. You know our experience level.

Are you making the Calspeed race?

J

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts

I'd guess -5*?  and probably not with WSIR the weekend before.

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

I'd guess -5*?  

Have you ever legally measure anything close to 4* on your 95, say nothing about 5*, or is the 5* a opp's.

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Keith Novak

Keith Novak

Steadily Improving Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts
  • Region:Northwest/Oregon
  • Car Number:88

The first time I did my own suspension I set the rears to roughly max and measured around 4.5*.  I don't know why.  Maybe the sub frame is bent but I can get a ton more camber than I use.

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

plane

plane

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Region:Utah
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:71

I think that I am about -3.1 to -3.2 with me in the car.   It is very old so maybe bent, but the shop (one of the best) hasn't said anything is other than standard and he sees everything from my car to the championship cars.

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts

Have you ever legally measure anything close to 4* on your 95, say nothing about 5*, or is the 5* a opp's.

I haven't ever maxed it out, but I think my car was about -2.5* with the adjusters at 12 o'clock?  I could be mistaken.

The -5* is just a silly wild guess.

Keith Novak

Keith Novak

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts

I haven't ever maxed it out, but I think my car was about -2.5* with the adjusters at 12 o'clock?  I could be mistaken.

Mine are set about the same.

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts

I can buy that ^. I have a 90 with brand new control arms, sub-frames, bolts which is the same as the 95/97 and can't come close to 4*. Knuckles and spindles are original.

Anyone that an get 4* please advise and also advise what your bump stop clearance is..

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Keith Novak

Keith Novak

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts

My bump stop clearance is about 5/8" set just like Rob described it.  All original control arms, subframe, uprights, and spindles.  It's on stands right now but I'll be doing the alignment in a week or 2 and measure what I get at max.

William Bonsell

William Bonsell

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 398 posts
  • Region:Northwest
  • Car Year:1999
Certainly no expert, but not sure you want to be up near 4+ in the rear even you can get there. At least that's my thoughts on a 1.6

What do the experts say?.
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

I can buy that ^. I have a 90 with brand new control arms, sub-frames, bolts which is the same as the 95/97 and can't come close to 4*. Knuckles and spindles are original.

Anyone that an get 4* please advise and also advise what your bump stop clearance is..

Lower the car and you can get over 4. I don't run my car low an can get a little over 3.5 but never run that much. un  the cars too low

On bump stop spacing, I would say 75% run  the cars too low. :wacko:

• Muda likes this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Charlie Hayes

Charlie Hayes

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts
  • Region:West Coast
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:22

I wouldn't set one up over 3.5* in the rear. Usually a .2* split front to rear. They are happy with over 3* in the front IMO, and thats the hard part. Bump stop gap should be about a finger's worth. 

• Ron Alan likes this
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill

Alberto

Alberto

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Region:SFR

Do you really want that much rear camber? 

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts

I wouldn't set one up over 3.5* in the rear. Usually a .2* split front to rear. They are happy with over 3* in the front IMO, and thats the hard part. Bump stop gap should be about a finger's worth. 

Is that an old man cut off your wedding ring finger or a 21 year old your #1 finger :) 

What Charlie says  +1

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts

Guys, not saying I want 4*, when numbers start flying the stick starts stirring.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users