NPiekarski

NPiekarski

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
  • Region:Cen-Div
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:67

Beating a dead horse and trying to drum up some new conversation here. Lets chat about something simple but maybe over looked. What plugs are you guys running and which wires have you had good luck with. I have seen the east street boys running Nology wires with seperate grounds per wire....give your opinions/results and.......go!

Nic Piekarski

My 99 Spec Miata makes great torque under 5,500 RPM!!!

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Tom Sager

Tom Sager

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:94

I run Nology wires.  If they are any better power-wise, it's so minimal you could chalk it up to dyno noise but after spending the money on them I wasn't going to put them back in the box so they're on the car.  New cheap spark plugs make better power than old expensive plugs IMO.  

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

I run Nology wires.  If they are any better power-wise, it's so minimal you could chalk it up to dyno noise but after spending the money on them I wasn't going to put them back in the box so they're on the car.  New cheap spark plugs make better power than old expensive plugs IMO.  

I agree with Tom. 

I have some really nice wires we are going to start selling, no ground straps, but I have seen NO Gain from good new Mazda wires to Taylor, Nology etc.  Same goes for plugs. IMO, most if not all the gains in these two areas can be chalked up to noise, dyno procedural errors. 

Jim

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

NPiekarski

NPiekarski

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

How about heat ranges on plugs? Has anyone on the dyno played with this aspect? I had the chance to spend some time on the dyno with a fellow I know, and I dont want to list any names (no his name is not referred as an animal from the monkey family)...but we saw a gain of nearly 3 hp and 2lb ft with a simple spark plug change...back to back runs, going back and forth swapping plugs. I could not believe my eyes and would not believe it otherwise.

Nic Piekarski

Qik Nip

Qik Nip

Loose Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 413 posts
  • Region:Cincinnati
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:60

How about heat ranges on plugs? Has anyone on the dyno played with this aspect? I had the chance to spend some time on the dyno with a fellow I know, and I dont want to list any names (no his name is not referred as an animal from the monkey family)...but we saw a gain of nearly 3 hp and 2lb ft with a simple spark plug change...back to back runs, going back and forth swapping plugs. I could not believe my eyes and would not believe it otherwise.

I wanna know which ones made the extra power! Seriously were both sets new?

Generally you can get a modest gain with new plugs versus ones that have a few weekends on them. 

Rick

2009, 2010 & 2011 SCCA Great Lakes Div. Reg. SM Champ
2006, 2009, 2010 & 2011 Cincy SCCA Reg. Driver of the year
Powered by: Stewart Engines
Set up by: RAFT Motorsports

SM: The safest race car in the world. It can just
barely kill you.

Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

NPiekarski

NPiekarski

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

The cheaper set was brand new, the hot rod set were used and had 25 dyno runs on them when we started.

Nic Piekarski

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:88

I agree with Tom. 

I have some really nice wires we are going to start selling, no ground straps, but I have seen NO Gain from good new Mazda wires to Taylor, Nology etc.  Same goes for plugs. IMO, most if not all the gains in these two areas can be chalked up to noise, dyno procedural errors. 

Jim

Let's go back a little bit and get the testing right.

What's a good or best dyno procedure?

J~

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts

Let's go back a little bit and get the testing right.

What's a good or best dyno procedure?

J~

quick and dirty version..

test plug a 

monitor intake air temp, water temp, oil temp.. drive line should be warmed up.. shoot infrared on trans and diff and monitor temps.. Make a series of pulls starting and ending at the same values.. throw out the best and worst runs, average the rest..

Do that again with plug B.

Do that again with plug A

One more time with plug B.

Then compare and see what you have.

Jim

• NPiekarski likes this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

NPiekarski

NPiekarski

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Jim, have you played with different heat range plugs at all and seen any results?

Nic Piekarski

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

The cheaper set was brand new, the hot rod set were used and had 25 dyno runs on them when we started.

Which one was better :noidea: And what were the heat ranges...you go first :D 

The guy who owns the dyno at our local track will try and sell any Miata plugs when they come in...and swears they will make an improvement. I think he likes Champions...not sure? And have no idea which #

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Tom Sager

Tom Sager

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:94

Jim, have you played with different heat range plugs at all and seen any results?

I have spent more time than I'd care to admit playing with park plugs on a dyno.  This includes searching the net for every claim of big HP from plugs and buying some stupid expensive and off the wall types to try.    The anticipation of finding magic in any of them just before you step on the gas for that next set of pulls is a feeling to behold.  That's followed by a trip to the parts store to buy a few sets of cheap 1 heat range colder than stock plugs.  Frankly I'm shocked that most cars run for years on plugs that cost about $2 and that decades of plug research seems to have resulted in more hype than results.  

• Jim Drago and Michael Novak like this
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

NPiekarski

NPiekarski

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Which one was better :noidea: And what were the heat ranges...you go first :D 

The guy who owns the dyno at our local track will try and sell any Miata plugs when they come in...and swears they will make an improvement. I think he likes Champions...not sure? And have no idea which #

The stock replacements (new) and unsure what brand or heat range where lower in horsepower and tq than the used ones. I really didn't know anything about the good ones other than they were bosch with some fancy german writing on them. This gentleman was kind enough to give us 4 of them, said "you can't buy these but if need more, let me know"...kinda like a horsepower drug dealer. :banana:

Nic Piekarski

trimless

trimless

Low Budget Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  • Region:Texas
  • Car Number:11

I have tested many spark plugs and in the end use the stock NGK plugs.  However, I did test one plug that consistently showed decent gains, but I'm afraid to run in my engine because it is wildly different from the stock plug. Here's a hint, it comes from an American car with a big mota that looks very similar to this:

aceandgary_zps4e36f4f5.jpg

• JRHille likes this
G. Corley
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

pat slattery

pat slattery

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  • Region:Cincinnati
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:79

Everyone wants info, but everyone all of a sudden can't remember the part number, and East street like to run the set of wires just because they are more expensive than any others but no HP gain.  LOL

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

NPiekarski

NPiekarski

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Pat- If I knew the part number, I would gladly sell you the info...but I dont. Buras was actually running these plugs in his 1.6 but pulled them, he said it made the car over competitive.   :thumbsup:  j/k 

• Jim Drago likes this

Nic Piekarski

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35
I am able to get an extra 6hp by using glow plugs and special grease. I can't remember the part number.

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

Some place early on in this thread someone mentioned noise, keep that in mind.  :rockband:

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts

Everyone wants info, but everyone all of a sudden can't remember the part number, and East street like to run the set of wires just because they are more expensive than any others but no HP gain.  LOL

Poor Pat, He doesnt know when people are telling the truth :) I would buy a set of the nology wires yourself and see what you get  :banana:

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

Is it more believable if you pay for it?

Is this another speed secret?

:banana:

J~

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users