Qik Nip

Loose Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 413 posts
  • Region:Cincinnati
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:60

Okay, so my dutifull wife/crew chief is a NASCAR junkie. Last night we watched the two 150 mile races and what I learned was that everybody gets in the 500 mile race based on thieir finishing position and or a bewildering range of pre-existing conditions that appear to grant anyone with a major sponsor a starting position in the 43 car field. The idea that a race that has to be the most boring of the entire NASCAR season gets billed as the "best", "biggest" and "most important" is unfathonable. The only thing that makes NASCAR Daytona races bearable is the prospect of the "big one" - and that's a pretty sad commentary.

Rick   

P.S. The one positive was that Darrel Waltrup did not shreek out his "Boggity-boogity, let's go racin boys" chant at the green flag. He did however utter some of the dumbest comments this side of John Madden.

2009, 2010 & 2011 SCCA Great Lakes Div. Reg. SM Champ
2006, 2009, 2010 & 2011 Cincy SCCA Reg. Driver of the year
Powered by: Stewart Engines
Set up by: RAFT Motorsports

SM: The safest race car in the world. It can just
barely kill you.

Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99

Come on RICKY bOOBY...  dANICA PATRICK ON THE POLE!!!!! cOME ON MAN i WOULD DO UNFATHOMNABLE THINGS TO SEE DANIcA ON THE POLE :)

Not to mention it is a historic moment in NASCAr history!!!!!!  Nascar should be billing this as beauty and the beast... 

Shake and Bake baby!

K. Webb
Powered by East Street Racing (Best engines in Spec Miata)

Driver coach, Spec Miata Prep shop, Spec Miata Setup

2016 Hard Charger award passing 12 cars runoffs 2016 Mid Ohio

2016 P3 RUNOFFS OVER 40 DIVISION LOL!

2015 First consolation prize Northern Conference Majors Title Pageant
2015 Winner Circus Cat Majors Road America

2015 Winner BlackHawk Majors crash fest

My Signature is still not as long as Danny boy's

Donor - Made PayPal donation Majors Winner - Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Michael Novak

Michael Novak

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 510 posts
  • Region:Michigan
  • Car Year:2002
  • Car Number:#9

While I agree with most of the comments above, the spectacle of being there for the event is kind of fun.  Also during normal years with drafting--- the cars on the banking end up looking like planes going around a arena. Being a employee of Roush and a fan---I hope we win in a big way....  Biffle may have the car...

Majors Winner - Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Tom Sager

Tom Sager

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:94

Would like to get a close look at Danica's restrictor plate, the one she used in qualifying.  I smell fish.  

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

NPiekarski

NPiekarski

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
  • Region:Cen-Div
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:67

Would like to get a close look at Danica's restrictor plate, the one she used in qualifying.  I smell fish.  

I think the fish your smelling is the lower portion of her drivers suit. :fisheszzz:

• Charlie Hayes likes this

Nic Piekarski

My 99 Spec Miata makes great torque under 5,500 RPM!!!

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts

Random moosings, er, musings:

Jeff Gordon was > 4/100 sec. slower than Dani - was he cheating too? The conspiracists crack me up - never mind getting 42 other drivers to play along - how do you persuade all the major corporate sponsors, kicking in millions of dollars, to agree that their team should sandbag. PS: major sponsors are tough to get these days.

Happy Harvick has been dominant all month - he's gonna be tough to beat.

My favorite races are always the ones that stay green.

Michael, agreed. TV doesn't do any motor race justice. Been to Daytona several times, waited for the Troopers to pass by, then stood by the fence until chased away by said Troopers. Nothing quite like feeling 43 cars going 200 mph about 6 feet in front of you.

Rick, tried and true NASCAR viewing technique - DVR race while doing something productive - later watch first 20 laps and last 20 laps. Works for SuperBowl too!

My favorite two Daytona races  - the two Central Florida Region ECRs I entered, 2008 and 2009. I gotta get back down there.

• svvs and Blake Thompson like this
2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

D Tesch

D Tesch

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Region:milw
  • Car Number:3
Like Darrell Waltrip said, If danica would start in the middle of the pack the story would be buried, Now she is on the pole it will be the headline story on many media outlets! Nascar needs all the help they can get to attract fans,they are bleeding a slow death. If you like it or not the only reason she has a cup ride is because of the $ she brings to the table period! Did nascar supply her team with a special plate, we will never know! Bring her to scca spec miata racing and put her against Drago,Denny, Buras and the boys and lets see how good she really is!
  • Go Time Racing likes this

john mueller

john mueller

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

I got a good nap during the 150's...

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts

Conversely, put Drago, Danny, Buras, et al, in a cup car and see if they can get anywhere near the pole, or even make the field.

• svvs likes this

svvs

svvs

do they sell spec training wheels yet?

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 518 posts
  • Region:NYR
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:12?

Like Darrell Waltrip said, If danica would start in the middle of the pack the story would be buried, Now she is on the pole it will be the headline story on many media outlets! Nascar needs all the help they can get to attract fans,they are bleeding a slow death. If you like it or not the only reason she has a cup ride is because of the $ she brings to the table period! Did nascar supply her team with a special plate, we will never know! Bring her to scca spec miata racing and put her against Drago,Denny, Buras and the boys and lets see how good she really is!

Look, in pro racing you need money to play, that's for sure.

If you want to put her skill set in a similar playing field to ours.....she raced formula fords over in England.  I've watched some of that racing, and those kids are super agressive, and are racing three races a day.

Ohh, by the way she placed second in the formula ford festival over there.....she's the highest placing American ever I believe.

Guys, she can drive.  Look at how JPM is doing in NASCAR.  The dude has won the Indy 500, won at Monaco, and has struggled in NASCAR.  I have no doubt that if she sticks around in NASCAR long enough to figure things out, she'll be a top 15 driver....which is saying a lot.

-Vick

• Tom Sager likes this

Vick
www.volko.com
Black SM/SM2/"Slap Bracelet Throwback" #12 in the Northeast....if the car was made in the early 90's it should look like it.

1.6L forever!  Bring on your '99's and '01's!

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Donor - Made PayPal donation

D Tesch

D Tesch

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Region:milw
  • Car Number:3
When she is a top 15 driver then we can talk. The face of nascar should be champions not midpack drivers who look pretty but have not won!
  • Go Time Racing likes this

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts

Danica finished 10th in the 2012 Nationwide Series standings. That's like 4 or something better 15th.

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99
Danica kicks their old wore out asses by Texas mile as by buddy novac would say...

And looks one he all of a lot better when all schwedy getting out of the car. No offense jimmy I know you hit the bike once to work the physeek.

K. Webb