Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts
  • Region:NNJR
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:48SM

Hey everyone.

Now, don't get jealous but I've managed to finally convince the wife to try her hand in the Miata.

(you can stop applauding and cheering for me.  Thanks   :hugegrin:  )

What this means is we need to find a way to take up the amount of space in the seat normally filled by my fat a$$.

The seat in this case is a Kirkey Intermediate 17" model mounted on the floor (I'm 6'3", 235#).

She's 5'10", something, something, something....  :shocking:

I spent a few minutes reading through a thread on Apex Speed that discussed the pros/cons of a 'bead seat' (epoxy + foam beads) vs. an 'EPS seat' (sheets of EPS foam + carving).  Granted, these are guys who are racing formula cars and need the additional margin of safety that would seem to favor the bead option but I'm thinking with the Miata all we're looking for is something sturdy enough to 'fill in the gaps' and optimally position her to drive.

One commenter in that thread offered a suggestion of using the EPS foam to fill gaps & position himself properly and then creating the bead seat with those also in the bag so that may be a good compromise ultimately.

Looking for input and feedback or any other options you folks can think of.

TIA,

Brandon

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

RussMcB

RussMcB

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • Region:SEDiv
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:57

My first thought is that reaching the pedals will be the toughest to achieve.

But, if you think that can be addressed, I'd try the two part foam available from Pegasus and other places.  It's a lot cheaper than the bead seat kits.

It's kinda fun after you've done a few, but the first time can be a bit scary.  Some tips:

• Put a big plastic sheet on top of the seat and covering everything nearby (door bars, shifter, etc.).
  • Have her wear her drivers suit.  Have the steering wheel in place.
  • Find a big bag for pouring the liquid foam into.  Make sure the bag is much bigger than it needs to be, like a 40 gallon bag.
  • You can do it in steps. In other words, you can pour in about half what you think you need, sit on it for 20 min or so, and if it isn't enough you can pour in more later.  (You can't do that with a bead seat).
  • The stuff is a sticky mess.  Don't get it in her hair on on her skin or clothes.
  • Best to have 3 or so people around to help prevent justification for divorce or murder.
  • Give her a couple of magazines to read while she's sitting in the warm seat as it hardens.
  • Later you can trim it with a hacksaw blade (or meat carver if she wasn't nearby).  Gaffers Tape makes an okay cover, but you can buy nomex cloth if it turs out well enough to keep for awhile.

Good luck.

Racer Russ
Marietta, GA
Former SM racer (now back in a formula car)

Barber 2013 Topless

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

fishguyaz

fishguyaz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • Region:AZ
  • Car Number:92

brandon, i am one of those guys on that site, i also race SM, and I have made several bead seats for each formula car i have owned.

here is the deal based soley on my research and what i chose for myself in the car.

the 2 part foam will take up space as you say, but it is not doing so in a safe way. it does not offer impact protection that is available like a bead seat does. I have crashed in both types of seats, and i can tell you that my 2 part foam seat needed to be replaced after it got "used"  because it broke.................

I saw a guy who was too cheap/ignorant to buy/make a bead seat in his FF so he used styrofoam from a cooler he tore up. it took up the space. was the dumbest thing i have ever seen.  IMO the 2 part foam is the next step up on the evolution chart,it is a custom fit, holds you in place. the bead seat offers impact protection from your own car(seat in the case of SM) hittting your body. this will be secondary to the initial hit. kinda like your head hitting the steering wheel in a regular car wreck................

baldspot seats  makes a very nice product. easy to work with, just need 2 people. and a shop vac with ear plugs.

what i would do is make the insert, cut the holes needed for the belts, etc, and then apply a few layers of fiberglass to the back of the insert. this will keep it durable for repeatable uses.

its not hard to do, i dont know why people make such a big deal out of making these.

I say this because i paid someone to make the 1st one for me. it was ~ $300 in labor, and was not done as well as the one i made to replace it.

I use a nomex cover that i apply with a spary on adhesive gotten from home depot(black can). 2 people works best to get a nice smooth cover on the seat.  a good knife from the kitchen works fine for cutting the seat. you do not need the expensive eheat knife thing they sell.

lay down cardboard over the holes in the seat so the beads dont go through them. if you dont do this, you wont be able to remove the seat when its dry.

if the seat needs to cut cut into 2 inserts so that it fits, make sure to keep the integrity of the spine area( dont cut the seat down the center where your spine goes)

the info you will get about these seats on a formula car site will be very useful. i am sitting on a gastank, and there are bars right next to my body. the bead seats that I have build were done not to take up space, but to protect me from my own car during an impact.

ask lots of questions, this is a good subject to for you to become an expert in before you start the project.

josh

Josh Pitt
1999 SM #92 SoPac division

DrDomm

DrDomm

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts
  • Region:NER
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:46
Totally off topic Brandon, but when you said you were 6'3" I was thinking, "Damn, I'm jealous". Then you said your wife was 5'10", and I realized how sad it is that I'm still jealous. Oh well. Good luck with your new project. See ya around this year.
Domm Leuci
--because someone commented that we should all post our names, and not be anonymous. I agree.
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

svvs

svvs

do they sell spec training wheels yet?

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 518 posts
  • Region:NYR
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:12?

Brandon:

Kessler makes a good adjustable seat solution.....will bring the seat further forward and up a bit as well.  Might be a good phone call to make.

I've met your wife so I know the approximates of the "something something something".....you will still want to look into an insert to hold her in place in a big 17" seat like that, but this way if the seat moves she will be more "in the seat" than "pushed out of the seat to reach the pedals."

-Vick

Vick
www.volko.com
Black SM/SM2/"Slap Bracelet Throwback" #12 in the Northeast....if the car was made in the early 90's it should look like it.

1.6L forever!  Bring on your '99's and '01's!

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Donor - Made PayPal donation

john mueller

john mueller

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

Hey everyone.

Now, don't get jealous but I've managed to finally convince the wife to try her hand in the Miata.

(you can stop applauding and cheering for me.  Thanks   :hugegrin:  )

What this means is we need to find a way to take up the amount of space in the seat normally filled by my fat a$$.

The seat in this case is a Kirkey Intermediate 17" model mounted on the floor (I'm 6'3", 235#).

She's 5'10", something, something, something....  :shocking:

I spent a few minutes reading through a thread on Apex Speed that discussed the pros/cons of a 'bead seat' (epoxy + foam beads) vs. an 'EPS seat' (sheets of EPS foam + carving).  Granted, these are guys who are racing formula cars and need the additional margin of safety that would seem to favor the bead option but I'm thinking with the Miata all we're looking for is something sturdy enough to 'fill in the gaps' and optimally position her to drive.

One commenter in that thread offered a suggestion of using the EPS foam to fill gaps & position himself properly and then creating the bead seat with those also in the bag so that may be a good compromise ultimately.

Looking for input and feedback or any other options you folks can think of.

TIA,

Brandon

Two part poly works best.  I've used it for years and have done dozens of seats - It works for any seat/person combination.

Don't bother with your typical 'race gear shops' they will be way over priced, just call your local plastic shop and ask if have or can order you some.

Buy enough to do multiple inserts, I recommend a gallon of each 'part'. Total cost should be around $100.

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Cy Peake

Cy Peake

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
  • Region:NER
  • Car Number:7

That two part epoxy makes a mess and gets HOT.  Try office chair lumber support padding (from Office Depot, Staples, etc) and duct tape.  It's what I used to shore up the free space in my 15" Ultrashield seat, placed beneath the seat cover.  Your wife's insert will probably be large enough to have to sit on top of the seat cover.  Or do what Shortround did in the Temple of Doom and tape some wood blocks to the bottom of her driving shoes. 

-Cy
Supported by LTD Racing

2011 + 2013 NER STU Champion

Muda

Muda

ComingToAMirrorNearYou

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 365 posts
  • Region:WDC

Lose 50 lbs.  (  ;

Then buy a new seat.

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users