RussMcB

RussMcB

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • Region:SEDiv
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:57

I see the SCCA GCR gives closed wheel drivers the option of using a window net or arm restraints.

Have any of you gone with arm restraints instead of window nets, or known someone who has?

I'm considering it, but one possible issue would be corner workers not seeing a window net up and calling it in, thinking it was a problem.

Racer Russ
Marietta, GA
Former SM racer (now back in a formula car)

Barber 2013 Topless

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:88

I'd rather have whatever flying in the window stopped by my net than by my restraints.

J~

• svvs and Muda like this
2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Dave Cox

Dave Cox

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • Region:Blackhawk Valley
  • Car Number:23
That can be a problem. It has been awhile since me or one of my drivers have done it, but we informed the stewards that we were doing it. I believe the corner workers still called it in. The group we did this with (not SCCA) was a little more used to this as they have a vintage group that allows cars with just a roll hoop so a window net can be difficult to mount, but it still as called in. After the first session the situation was explained to the corner workers and we were ok for the remaining sessions.

Randy Thieme

Randy Thieme

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
  • Region:Oregon
  • Car Year:1993
  • Car Number:51

Since it's an uncommon practice most corner-workers would call it in.  Likely would get flagged the first time but like Dave's experience soon word would get out and probably would not be an issue the rest of the weekend.  But you might have to go through the same experience the next race weekend or when you visit a different track.  If you're first session is qualifying it would be worth the extra effort to communicate your intent ahead of time so you don't get flagged in while trying to qualify.  I'm also considering going with arm restraints if that gives me a clearer view to my left-rear.  My plan is to show a grid worker the arm restraints while on grid and then ask them, as a favor, to call it in to race control.

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

RussMcB

RussMcB

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • Region:SEDiv
  • Car Number:57

I'd rather have whatever flying in the window stopped by my net than by my restraints.

J~

I was sure there would responses like this.  :-).

Most of my racing has been done in open wheel/open cockpit, so the lack of a window net being a problem seems small in comparison (to no roof, windshield, etc.)

Since it's an uncommon practice most corner-workers would call it in.  Likely would get flagged the first time but like Dave's experience soon word would get out and probably would not be an issue the rest of the weekend.  But you might have to go through the same experience the next race weekend or when you visit a different track.  If you're first session is qualifying it would be worth the extra effort to communicate your intent ahead of time so you don't get flagged in while trying to qualify.  I'm also considering going with arm restraints if that gives me a clearer view to my left-rear.  My plan is to show a grid worker the arm restraints while on grid and then ask them, as a favor, to call it in to race control.

Thanks, Randy.  My thoughts exactly.  I'd hate to lose valuable track time, so I'd try to have all the right conversations beforehand.  Of course, if I choose to run arm restraints I'll have to accept the risk that I may be black flagged.  Everything's a compromise ...

I'm hoping to run my car without a top occasionally.  Unfortunately most of the tracks around here have long straights..

Racer Russ
Marietta, GA
Former SM racer (now back in a formula car)

Barber 2013 Topless

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users