Maniac motorsports12

Maniac motorsports12

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Region:SJR
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:12

When the throttle is moved just past idle and held there, the RPM surges radically, from all most stalling to back to where you are holding the throttle.  It makes it very difficult getting out of the pits.  I tried putting in a new ECU and no change.  I tried shutting the car off and re-starting, and sometimes that is a temporary fix, but not all the time.  At higher RPM it does not do it, just that 1k to 2k range.  If I disconnect the electrical connector on the side of the throttle body it stops but then the idle is way to high.  Any help would be appreciated.  No one locally has any idea.

David S.

David S.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • Region:Mid-Atlantic
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:07
I'm still new to the Miatas but on all of the Hondas I have owned if they got low on coolant they would act like that. Check the coolant and make sure that it is properly bled. Good luck!

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

You have a dirty or bad idle air control motor.  You can try remove the the throttle body and clean it out with carb cleaner.  If that doesn't work, you need a throttle body. I think I know a guy who sells them :)  This is very common on 9 Miatas. Changed two this weekend

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Michael Novak

Michael Novak

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 510 posts
  • Region:Michigan
  • Car Year:2002
  • Car Number:#9
TPS?
Majors Winner - Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Cy Peake

Cy Peake

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
  • Region:NER
  • Car Number:7

You had recent track time where and when?

-Cy
Supported by LTD Racing

2011 + 2013 NER STU Champion

svvs

svvs

do they sell spec training wheels yet?

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 518 posts
  • Region:NYR
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:12?

Down here things are clearing up Cy.  NJMP opened up the other day.

Vick
www.volko.com
Black SM/SM2/"Slap Bracelet Throwback" #12 in the Northeast....if the car was made in the early 90's it should look like it.

1.6L forever!  Bring on your '99's and '01's!

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Donor - Made PayPal donation

ccrowel5

ccrowel5

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11 posts

X

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

I just had a similar problem on my car. I chased it all around. Idle air control could be it and it could also be TPS. Strangely enough on my car it was a bad front O2 sensor which also caused the car to run extremely rich above 6k rpm. I also took my IAC off and cleaned it. Car runs great now.

Not to contradict... But the 02 did not cause the car to run rich, most likely a coincidence.  I have never seen anything but the idle air control motor cause the surging. 

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Qik Nip

Qik Nip

Loose Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 413 posts
  • Region:Cincinnati
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:60

Not to contradict... But the 02 did not cause the car to run rich, most likely a coincidence.  I have never seen anything but the idle air control motor cause the surging. 

Agree with Jim. Also, on 1.6 (at least) the O2 sensor is out of the loop at WOT.

Rick

2009, 2010 & 2011 SCCA Great Lakes Div. Reg. SM Champ
2006, 2009, 2010 & 2011 Cincy SCCA Reg. Driver of the year