Photo

First time removing tranny...what else to switch out?

• Please log in to reply
138 replies to this topic

stillentwint17

stillentwint17

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Hi all,

i'm a complete noob at all this so my apologies for the blatant ignorance in advance. A few months ago i posted a thread, discussing oil leaking from my engine into my tranny. I decided to forget about it until I got a few (previously purchased) track days out of the way. Now, I have 3 weeks until my next track event so I'm going to remove the tranny to fix the rear main seal. That seemed to be the prognosis at the end of that thread. (thanks for the advice on that thread. I purchased all the tools and parts specified to me).

As I am removing the tranny, I'm debating what else I should switch out, such as getting a new tranny rebuilt and putting in a new clutch, just because i will be down there. My tranny seems fine, i think. I miss 3rd gear quite a lot but that could just be me. An instructor sat in my car and said the clutch was going becuase it was rattling. I dont feel any slip in it but he had said there's something going on with it.

Since I'm removing the tranny, is it worth switching out the clutch/flywheel and get a re-built tranny just due to the hassel of having to remove it, or should i just leave it and switch out the seals/gaskets.

My car is a spec miata from the 90's or so. Its pretty slow but its a lot of fun.

I'd greatly appreciate any and all input.

Thanks guys,

Glenn

Glenn

Mid Pack Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • Region:SE

Hi all,

i'm a complete noob at all this so my apologies for the blatant ignorance in advance. A few months ago i posted a thread, discussing oil leaking from my engine into my tranny. I decided to forget about it until I got a few (previously purchased) track days out of the way. Now, I have 3 weeks until my next track event so I'm going to remove the tranny to fix the rear main seal. That seemed to be the prognosis at the end of that thread. (thanks for the advice on that thread. I purchased all the tools and parts specified to me).

As I am removing the tranny, I'm debating what else I should switch out, such as getting a new tranny rebuilt and putting in a new clutch, just because i will be down there. My tranny seems fine, i think. I miss 3rd gear quite a lot but that could just be me. An instructor sat in my car and said the clutch was going becuase it was rattling. I dont feel any slip in it but he had said there's something going on with it.

Since I'm removing the tranny, is it worth switching out the clutch/flywheel and get a re-built tranny just due to the hassel of having to remove it, or should i just leave it and switch out the seals/gaskets.

My car is a spec miata from the 90's or so. Its pretty slow but its a lot of fun.

I'd greatly appreciate any and all input.

Thanks guys,

Clutch, PP, throw out Bng, Pilot Bng, and resurface flywheel are all recommended.  Rebuilt box is good idea too as well as new shifter boots (both) as they are probably shot.

Glenn Murphey, Crew Chief
Owner Crew Chief Services The Pinnacle of Excellence, Contract Crew Services for the racing community.
Soon to be back in the club racing scene for good ;)

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Sphinx

Sphinx

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts
  • Region:ATL

Replace the turret bushing (hard to replace once tranny is back in the car) and the rear main seal if you see any leaks.  Check to see if you are leaking coolant from the "cursed water plug." (You didn't say what you year you have, but it's an issue on 1.6L's).

fotostars

fotostars

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 312 posts
  • Car Year:1997
  • Car Number:63

I'm going at that same job this WE on a 1.8L :-) I'll let you know how it goes. It doesn't look too bad from a distance but I'm sure the devil is in the details...

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35
Do a careful exam of where the oil is coming from, could be the rear main, it could be the seals that fit in the oil pan.

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Sphinx

Sphinx

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts
  • Region:ATL

I'm going at that same job this WE on a 1.8L :-) I'll let you know how it goes. It doesn't look too bad from a distance but I'm sure the devil is in the details...

There's a nice tutorial on the miata.net site. AFter you do it the first time, it's a piece of cake.

While you are there, you might want to swap out your "curly fry" clutch line with a stainless steal braided one.

stillentwint17

stillentwint17

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Thanks a million for the help guys. Its a 1992 1.6L. Whats a PP Glen?? Also, this is a stupid question, whats a turret bushing. I'm going to look it up after posting this, but just wanted to make it aware i dont know what that is yet. fudge, i love this forum. Everyone is so damn helpful, thanks Glen, Sphinx, fotostar and FTodaro. I just sprayed freeze off on all the bell housing screws. Im about to attack the tranny now. Should i drain the engine oil as well as the tranny fluid? As i'm going to remove the rear main seal....or any other seal ( i purchased all the seals/gaskets i could from mazda, oil pain, head gasket, and a few others) should i drain the engine oil also..?

Thanks everyone.

Keith Novak

Keith Novak

Steadily Improving Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts
  • Region:Northwest/Oregon
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:88

A PP is a pressure plate.  Its the part that clamps the clutch to the flywheel.  When you pull the shifter out of the turret, the turret bushing is the plastic piece that goes on the ball on the bottom end of the shifter where it fits into the turret.  They crack or deform over time.  If you're replacing the rear main, drain the engine oil.  I doubt the oil actually fills the engine high enough to leak out when sitting still but we generally replace oil quite often so you might as well change it while you're at it.

When it comes time to fill the trans with fluid, first put some in the turret.  Not too much or you'll make a mess when you insert the shifter.  This keeps you from winding up buying an extra quart for a couple ounces if you dump all 2 quarts in the trans (or on the floor).  Get yourself a good sized funned and attach about 4 ft of flexible plastic tubing small enough to fit in the fill hole.  Use a hose clamp or tape to keep the two from coming apart.  You can support the funnel by the brake master cyliner and snake the tubing down into the trans fill hole.  BY FAR the easiest way I've found to fill a trans.

• Glenn likes this
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Keith Novak

Keith Novak

Steadily Improving Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts
  • Region:Northwest/Oregon
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:88

One last thing...  Once you install the trans, check the adjustment of your clutch pedal.  Different parts can fit differently and the factory settings have the engagement point very high on the pedal stroke.  If it's set too high, your clutch can slip under load just like you have your foot partially on the clutch.  I adjust mine so the engagement point is as low as it can be adjusted to.  You'll find out how much fun adjusting it is when you get that far.  :yep:

• stillentwint17 likes this
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Randy Thieme

Randy Thieme

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
  • Region:Oregon
  • Car Year:1993
  • Car Number:51

I like NAPA's giant elephant syringe.  Costs about 12 bucks.  18 oz per stroke handles a quart in about two strokes.  One draw from the bottle, one squirt into the differential, repeat, and you're pretty much done filling the diff.  About as easy for the tranny too.  One thing though is the stock tubing barely fits into the fill holes for the tranny and differential so I added a plumbing reducer and smaller tubing from the hardware store.  

A while ago I heard of people having issues with oil leaks from the differential due to a clogged breather.  Since they're fairly cheap from Mazdaspeed I went ahead and replaced mine on both the diff and tranny.  Mazda part number for the tranny breather is 0884-17-530.

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Qik Nip

Qik Nip

Loose Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 413 posts
  • Region:Cincinnati
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:60

Just my $.02, but if I were digging into the rear main seal, I'd pull the engine and transmission together. The added work might involve two hours max and give you a much better access to get at everything.

Rick.

2009, 2010 & 2011 SCCA Great Lakes Div. Reg. SM Champ
2006, 2009, 2010 & 2011 Cincy SCCA Reg. Driver of the year