• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

stillentwint17

stillentwint17

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Hi all,

I have a second thread going on http://mazdaracers.c...ge-3#entry44749  based off removing the tranny. I removed the tranny thinking that the oil that was leaking from my car was the rear main seal but now it looks like the oil pan. Can anyone please help with any input. I have a track day in a week and I dont know whats the best way to go....

If it is a oil pan leak do i need to remove the motor from the body to fix the oil pan seal???

IMG_2799_zpsf4df7944.jpg

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

Yes you have to lift the motor up high enough to get the Pan off. these motors can sometimes be difficult to seal

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

steveracer

steveracer

Blue Eyes, Aquarius, hates being squeezed to the grass in SowDiv

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • Region:Lone Star
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:92

Also be sure to put some thread sealer on the flywheel bolts, they're through holes and will weep oil onto your clutch.

Steven Holloway

Artist formerly known as Chief Whipping Boy for Lone Star Region

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

DES4

DES4

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  • Region:Central Florida
  • Car Year:1993
  • Car Number:93

The problem is the flywheel slings oil all over, it'll be hard to say conclusively what's leaking. 

You should always replace the rear main while you're in there. The seal in the photo looks as if there might be a ripple in it (about 7 o'clock or so), so it'd be suspect; looks as if it's not seated right. Pay attention to the above post; oil does wick through the threads of the flywheel bolts (notice the oil in the threads?), especially when it's being helped along by windage. Always use thread sealant in situations where the flywheel bolt holes go clear through the flange.

I doubt it's the pan if the leak is only at the rear, but you can never be sure. It's also possible, if the cam position sensor seal or valve cover gasket is leaking, that the oil might be coming from outside the bellhousing, but it'd be a helluva leak, and you'd know about it.

• john mueller and stillentwint17 like this
Dave Stine

"America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, bad-ass speed," -Eleanor Roosevelt

john mueller

john mueller

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

I agree with Dave ^^^

Put in a new seal bro and some high quality sealer on the pan/black union jic it's the problem.  But I'd bet it's the 7:00 point on the seal or the flywheel bolts weeping. 

• stillentwint17 likes this
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Keith Novak

Keith Novak

Steadily Improving Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts
  • Region:Northwest/Oregon
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:88

Rule of thumb:  If the engine is still in the car, it's the rear main and/or flywheel bolts.  If the engine is out of the car, it's the pan or all of the above.  :guinness:

Although I've only ever sealed the pan with the engine out, i've heard you can R&R the pan by dropping the subframe.  Considering how much left-over oil comes out when you drop the pan, I'd be amazed you can keep the mating surfaces clean enough long enough to seal them back up.  Due to the level of effort required and the proability of failure re-sealing the pan with the engine in, personally I'd pull the motor and do it right.

(BTW- your clutch in the other thread looks fine.  The typical thickness is where it looks like the rivets are about to poke through.  They last that way a very long time.  Measure it and then measure it again the next time you replace the trans.)

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users