• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:94

Just no love

It's worse than that.  It's pure hatred.   :soapbox:

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

It's worse than that.  It's pure hatred.   :soapbox:

it is even worse.. I passed rule on my own car and figured the weight wrong.. now I have to add another 25 lbs and buy two new stickers :(

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Michael Colangelo

Michael Colangelo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
  • Region:Southern California
  • Car Year:1997
  • Car Number:23
Why is it so hard for the SCCA brain trust to say that any Spec Miata can run in ITA as long as it runs in 100% Spec Miata-legal trim?

ITA is a regional-only class and SMs certainly aren't overdogs. ITA is a great class for SMs to double dip. STL is not.

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

Why is it so hard for the SCCA brain trust to say that any Spec Miata can run in ITA as long as it runs in 100% Spec Miata-legal trim?
ITA is a regional-only class and SMs certainly aren't overdogs. ITA is a great class for SMs to double dip. STL is not.

I believe that is how it is in SFR?

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:91

Ties back into the hatred.  They hate getting beat by SMs, ESPECIALLY in SM trim.

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts

Speaking for the "brain trust" :) 

In short the IT guys don't want their class used a double dipping dumping ground  for Spec miatas. The common opinion is that if you want to run in IT, please run to the rules in their class, just like they do, competitive or not.  You can however run in STL in SM trim whenever you like. We certainly would not make any special allowances for ITA miatas to run in SM, we would make them comply to our rules. 

Not that I agree, but it is their class and they certainly have that right.

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Tom Sager

Tom Sager

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:94

it is even worse.. I passed rule on my own car and figured the weight wrong.. now I have to add another 25 lbs and buy two new stickers :(

You have a dyno but you don't own your own sticker machine?  Messed up priorities.  Wait, maybe not.  You change motors more often than stickers.  :hugegrin:

• Todd Green likes this
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Angry Sheep Motorsports

Angry Sheep Motorsports

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Region:Detroit
No hatred folks. Just noticed that some folks didn't have the correct weight on their cars . This was a 2013 change based on STAC discussions post runoffs.

KW78

KW78

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Who is on the STAC?  Is there a specific forum to discuss ST issues like there are for other classes?  (I mean other than SCCAforums.  That category is pretty dead there like so many) 

But yeah, the weight gain in the class since last year when I started my build is pretty f'n ridiculous.  A 1.8L is 320# higher than a 1.6 build???  on the same chassis and tire??  WTF!  Its basically a deal breaker for any more serious miata development there IMO.  Last year I think is was 2420ish if memory serves. 

The "SCCA Brain Trust" has to stop looking at things with the CC's to weight parameter like we are drag racers.  You have to both stop and turn that weight.  A 14#/hp class can accelerate at what, .15g's to .1g's?  But you have a 15% weight penalty for turning and braking g's??  It's bogus.  Its going to make STL a small bore grenade class. 

Kyle

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

ner88

ner88

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  • Region:NER/CFR
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:98
But.....the 99'can run STL in ITS trim.....#2375 :-)

DrDomm

DrDomm

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts
  • Region:NER
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:46

But.....the 99'can run STL in ITS trim.....#2375 :-)

...but only with a manual steering rack, right? ;)
Domm Leuci
--because someone commented that we should all post our names, and not be anonymous. I agree.
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

ner88

ner88

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  • Region:NER/CFR
  • Car Number:98
$560.00 new! ask me how I know.......

DrDomm

DrDomm

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts

$560.00 new! ask me how I know.......

Really?!  Just seems silly.  Basically, if you have this rack you can take the restrictor off your '99 SM, but if you don't you have to run with the restrictor (and 25lbs extra).  That doesn't seem right.

Domm Leuci
--because someone commented that we should all post our names, and not be anonymous. I agree.
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

cam

cam

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • Region:SOW
  • Car Number:14

Keep in mind that there are a lot of other cars other than Miatas in ITx and STL classes.  The basic premise of the ITx rules is that if the rules do not say can, then you
cannot.  And the ITx rules do not say you can de-power a manual steering rack.  I am assuming this is a bigger deal for Hondas and such.  My Miata came from the factory with a manual steering rack and I prefer the feel.  

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts

Really?!  Just seems silly.  Basically, if you have this rack you can take the restrictor off your '99 SM, but if you don't you have to run with the restrictor (and 25lbs extra).  That doesn't seem right.

You are a looking at it from the perspective of a SM racer who would like to double dip in another class.  If you want to race as an IT car, you need to run in IT trim and meet their rules.  They are not asking for SM entries nor do they want to change their rules to make it easier for a SM to compete.

Jim  

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

DrDomm

DrDomm

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts

You are a looking at it from the perspective of a SM racer who would like to double dip in another class.  If you want to race as an IT car, you need to run in IT trim and meet their rules.  They are not asking for SM entries nor do they want to change their rules to make it easier for a SM to compete.

Jim  

I understand totally Jim.  I'm not talking about running in IT.  I'm talking about running in STL as an SM or IT car. 

Take two '99 SM's that want to run/double dip in STL (something that helps the class with numbers as it grows).  One car has a manual rack and one has a depowered rack.  The one with the manual has a significant advantage over the one with the depowered (No restrictor/-25lbs).  Obviously, all the truly STL-spec'd cars have the ultimate advantage, but I'm talking about the SM's running in STL (a substantial portion of the STL field).

Not a super important topic, but it seems like something that should be addressed.  I don't like the "don't look, don't tell" policy.  So, I'm less inclined to run STL...knowing that some '99's can pull their restrictor, or that some do so "illegally".

Domm Leuci

KW78

KW78

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

...but only with a manual steering rack, right? ;)

Nooooo....   It is absolutely legal per IT rules to run a power steering rack with no hoses. 

Disassembling the rack, and altering the inside....  That is not allowed...

The stewards or COA has to read the rule book as written, not what they hope it means or should mean or supposed to mean etc. etc...  

Kyle

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts

The issue comes up because in trying to make STL an inclusive class..  We set the rules to include all Sm's in Sm trim... We also allowed all the IT cars in It trim..  We didn't and wont start making further hybrid qualifications to get run.  In a Miata right now, you can run in STL trim, Sm trim, ITA or ITS trim and be legal for the class.

Admittedly when you break it down as you have, it does seem silly. :)  But making a change would be even more silly when none of the cars are competitive against a real STL car anyway. 

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users