AlexL08

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Region:SouthEast
  • Car Year:1997
  • Car Number:TBA

Hello to all im Alex,

I just bought a 97 5 spd miata after a year of kickin the idea around of wanting to build a spec car. Im looking for a rule book for scca spec miata ive googled and seached their web site but cant seam to find it as easily as nasa book. Can I go off of Nasa book? Any help is greatly appreciated.

photo2ud.jpg

photo11by.jpg

john mueller

john mueller

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

Here is a link to the NASA SM rules

SCCA's SM rule committee and NASA have worked together so the the rules of both organizations are (minus tires) 99% identical.

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

AlexL08

AlexL08

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Okay great thanks thats what I was figuring just didnt want to shoot myself in the foot. Any advise from your guys would be greatly appreciated. 

Has anyone heard or done business with TI Engineering 

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99

Okay great thanks thats what I was figuring just didnt want to shoot myself in the foot. Any advise from your guys would be greatly appreciated. 

Has anyone heard or done business with TI Engineering 

I have done no buisiness with TI speed Engeneering, but Dan is a very good guy and builds some nice engines, not sure if he is still building cars or not.  In andaround your area is Long Racing, Panic Motorsports, also Race Engeneering...  All, including Ti are great people...

K. Webb
Powered by East Street Racing (Best engines in Spec Miata)

Driver coach, Spec Miata Prep shop, Spec Miata Setup

2016 Hard Charger award passing 12 cars runoffs 2016 Mid Ohio

2016 P3 RUNOFFS OVER 40 DIVISION LOL!

2015 First consolation prize Northern Conference Majors Title Pageant
2015 Winner Circus Cat Majors Road America

2015 Winner BlackHawk Majors crash fest

My Signature is still not as long as Danny boy's

Donor - Made PayPal donation Majors Winner - Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Mike Collins

Mike Collins

Big Cheese

• Moderators
  • 1,262 posts
  • Region:Washington DC
  • Car Number:75
Go to Advanced Autosport and buy the Spec Miata Constructors manual. Best $20 you will ever spend.
  • john mueller and Alberto like this
Mike "MEATHEAD" Collins
Founder - Partner
MEATHEADRacing
240-476-1593

www.meatheadracing.com
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Sugar Daddy - Made PayPal donation of $500+ Donor - Made PayPal donation Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. MX5 Cup Participant - Has Participated in a MX5Cup.com Series Event Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

Being you have started two threads, here is the info from the other thread including the SCCA guide line/info you asked for.

Presumimg your a newcomer to Spec Miata and the SCCA, welcome. You will enjoy yourself.

From your info shown your going to build a 1997 car. Depending on your expected results from your Sperc Miata racing you may want to look at building a car other than the 1997. Look at the results within your area of SM racing and most likley, you'll find it's not 1990 through 1997 car swinning. I'll get my balls busted for the previous statement  but I can live with that. Be what many say about parity within the class a wiser choice of car for you would be a 1999 plus car. At this point you have minum $$$ spent and can start with a better choice of year car.

When I Googled SCCA 2013 GCR (General Competition Rules) the following is what came up. Look at the contents page to find the Spec Miata class rules. Within the SM rules you will find nothing about the required roll cage rules, look at the contex page for those rules. Ther are many other items within the GCR you will be required to learn before you obtain a SCCA drivers license. One rule item you must remember when building a SM is that, if a rule does not say you can do something, then you cant do that something. That's whay it's called a spec class, RULES. 

http://scca.cdn.race...CR- January.pdf

David Dewhurst

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Dirt Surfer

Dirt Surfer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Region:Southeast
  • Car Year:1991

Also might want to mention that you can get two log books and run both SCCA and NASA to get more seat time, there is very little difference between the two with the only real biggie is tires. SCCA runs Hoosiers and NASA runs Toyo's. You will have to add a center net for NASA also. There seems to be a much larger turn out for S/M in SCCA though at least here in the South East. I believe you can run either class with only one license but i may be wrong about that maybe somebody else can chime in on that one.

I'm not Crazy but I'am a Carrier

AlexL08

AlexL08

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Also might want to mention that you can get two log books and run both SCCA and NASA to get more seat time, there is very little difference between the two with the only real biggie is tires. SCCA runs Hoosiers and NASA runs Toyo's. You will have to add a center net for NASA also. There seems to be a much larger turn out for S/M in SCCA though at least here in the South East. I believe you can run either class with only one license but i may be wrong about that maybe somebody else can chime in on that one.

Heck yeah Ive been ripping apart the car all day today to get it to bare bones gonna send the chassis off to get blasted and painted. Ive never really had to go though the license process what does that consist of. Ive got a long list of crap to do to be ready for next season.

DES4

DES4

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  • Region:Central Florida
  • Car Year:1993
  • Car Number:93
Licensing (for a regional license) is very different between the SCCA and NASA.

The SCCA allows either of two routes: You can complete an accredited racing school (check their list for accepted schools), get your physical exam and go racing; or you can obtain a novice permit (requires physical exam), and complete two SCCA drivers' school weekends and two regional races as a novice. You'll then get signed off and receive a regular regional license. This "fast track to the racetrack" does allow quite a few onto the racetrack that have no business there, however.

I like NASA's approach better. You have to first work your way up through four levels of HPDEs (track-day run groups), each with different constraints regarding supervision/passing, and you must be checked out to advance to the next level. Once you've reached HPDE4, you can be accessed for a competition license, depending on what form of racing you'll be doing (whether it'd be time trials or wheel-to-wheel).

NASA's licensing does a better job of filtering out those that do not belong on the racetrack, and they draw a hard line regarding contact in all classes; it still can and does happen, though. The SCCA seems to accept SM as a high-contact race group, and my experience is that little will ever be done to change that aspect; bring a trailer and a broom. If you will be working on and maintaining your own car, you might give some thought to that.
Dave Stine

"America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, bad-ass speed," -Eleanor Roosevelt

Glenn Davis

Glenn Davis

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • Region:WDCR/Mid-Atlantic
  • Car Year:2002
  • Car Number:TBD

I received my SCCA license through their school, and then did a couple of check rides for the transfer to NASA.  I would imagine going the other direction is feasible, but will definitely take longer on the NASA side.  As far as filtering out those that don't belong on the track, YMMV.  While the organizations have policies on contact,  I find that it is the racers that set the tone way more than the officials.  FWIW, SCCA and NASA SM are both NO contact run groups.  Contact is, or is not, accepted by the drivers.  If you're willing to take avoidable contact and not say anything about it, then you'll probably continue to get contact.  If your run group as a whole does not self-police the jackassery, then you will likely get real familiar with body tools and Visa cards..

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users