Photo

No Oil In Filter... Uh Oh!

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

John Hammer

John Hammer

I'm not slow, I'm maximizing my track time!

• SMembers
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Region:NASA SE
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:08
Hi guys,

I changed the oil last night in preparation for this weekend's season opener with NASA-SE...and when I pulled the filter off, it was nearly dry in there. This can't be good.

Car is a '90, 1.6L, stock bottom end with 176,xxx miles, Meathead head has been on for about 1,500 miles over a couple seasons. OEM Mazda oil filter. Mobil 1 5w30 since I got it at 167,xxx miles.

The oil was in the car for 3 test days, about 300 miles. Pressure showed normal...maybe a touch low, but it's always been a bit low. Prior to the 3 test days, I had the engine out of the car & replaced the pan gasket while it was out. I didn't have any issues with that, but now I'm wondering if some debris may have clogged a passage somewhere? Could a defective check valve in the filter cause this?

I changed the oil & filter & let the car idle for 2 or 3 minutes; there's valve clatter...no more than normal, but it didn't go away either. Fingers are crossed, but I have that empty feeling in my stomach. My plan is to go swap the oil back out tonight & remove the filter...see if the new stuff is filtering through there.

Anyone had this issue before?
John "Hammer" Palazzolo
Motorsport Event Facilitator
www.JohnHammer.org
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Scottie

Scottie

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  • Region:WDCR
  • Car Year:1993
  • Car Number:19
This happened to me once, but I think the circumstances were a little different. I was doing an oil change, amongst a million other things, and left the drain plug out for a while, thus draining the oil to mere drops. Anyways, I dont know if the angle of the car (if it wasnt sitting evenly on the jackstands) may drained the oil out of the oil filter. But, as we know, there is a check valve in there, so I dont know if the oil can just come out like that.

Im interested in what people have to say about this...
How do I fit this Ls7 into my mia.... nevermind

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
  • Region:LVR
If the engine was oil starved it wouldn't have lasted 300 miles. As the friction increases the temps increase. Other engines have a filter bypass in case the main passage to the filter is clogged. I can't see if that's the case in my FSM and I haven't torn the engine down that much yet. I'd be more concerned with the bearings and cylinder walls and rings that with the valve train. If you still have the old oil look for signs of metal debris as well as insuring your oil pump is good and the pickup has no issues.

Glenn

Glenn

Mid Pack Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • Region:SE

Hi guys,

I changed the oil last night in preparation for this weekend's season opener with NASA-SE...and when I pulled the filter off, it was nearly dry in there. This can't be good.

Car is a '90, 1.6L, stock bottom end with 176,xxx miles, Meathead head has been on for about 1,500 miles over a couple seasons. OEM Mazda oil filter. Mobil 1 5w30 since I got it at 167,xxx miles.

The oil was in the car for 3 test days, about 300 miles. Pressure showed normal...maybe a touch low, but it's always been a bit low. Prior to the 3 test days, I had the engine out of the car & replaced the pan gasket while it was out. I didn't have any issues with that, but now I'm wondering if some debris may have clogged a passage somewhere? Could a defective check valve in the filter cause this?

I changed the oil & filter & let the car idle for 2 or 3 minutes; there's valve clatter...no more than normal, but it didn't go away either. Fingers are crossed, but I have that empty feeling in my stomach. My plan is to go swap the oil back out tonight & remove the filter...see if the new stuff is filtering through there.

Anyone had this issue before?

My suggestion is that you give Bobby T a call at RE he can give you an answer for sure. Tell him I said to call!

Glenn Murphey, Crew Chief
Owner Crew Chief Services The Pinnacle of Excellence, Contract Crew Services for the racing community.
Soon to be back in the club racing scene for good ;)

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users