Photo

Dash brake light fading in and out...wierd!

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

William Bonsell

William Bonsell

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 398 posts
  • Region:Northwest
  • Car Year:1999
So, after replacing all calipers, rotors, pads and master cylinder and with the car up on jacks, fired it up and low and behold the little idiot light on the dash of my '91 is fading in and out. I thought it was because we had not bled the brakes yet. So after a real good bleeding of the brake system the light is still dimly fading in and out. No issues last year. Any ideas? We have wired in a few new gauges, etc, but don't think that should be the cause. Isn't this a warning light of some type to indicate brake failure when underway. A bit confused here, so hoping someone can shed some light.
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Keith Novak

Keith Novak

Steadily Improving Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts
  • Region:Northwest/Oregon
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:88
I'd say if you know the brake system is working properly and the light is distracting, pull the bulb.
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Matthew Wolfe

Matthew Wolfe

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Region:CDR
  • Car Number:73
I have seen this on other cars when the alternator was going bad. Not sure on a Miata.

William Bonsell

William Bonsell

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 398 posts
  • Region:Northwest
Interesting about the alternator. Not sure how long it has been in the car. Might want to replace it before season starts up. Keith, I think I'll just take a little black duct tape and cover the damn thing. I'd probably screw something up working behind the dash. We're getting close to the racing season up here...can't wait!
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
  • Region:LVR
Page T27 in your FSM has the schematic. Two sensors that trigger that are your parking brake and your brake fluid level sensor. Might be one or the other going bad or there might be a wiring issue. If you know your brakes don't leak and have a good pedal should be nothing to be concerned with.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users