12 replies to this topic

Jim Creighton

Jim Creighton

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  • Region:Atlanta
  • Car Number:53

I have long said that I would not support a rule that was not being enforced. So, SEDiv SM drivers, I have some news for you.

At the SEDiv Double SARRC Double ECR races scheduled at Roebling Road on June 29th & June 30th, the Stewards for that race have agreed that physical aerodynamic mutual assistance will be allowed for Spec Miata in both the SARRC races and the ECR races. The assistance should be only on the straights and should be with mutual consent of both drivers involved. The physical portion should non violent and must cease in the corners and when & if signaled by the lead driver. It will not be allowed or tolerated in qualifying. It's every man for himself in securing starting positions. Just remember, close is not touching.

There will be a drivers meeting where this will be discussed so that everyone is on the same page.

If this goes well, we will also allow this at the SIC and the ARRC for sure. Other events may be added once we have an opportunity to accumulate and analyze the data from the June Double events. So, please help us by participating in this study.

The SEDiv Double races provide a maximum of track time with qualifying sessions both days and over two hours of racing if you enter just SM. The groups are split apart so you can also enter STL if you wish. And since the ECR requires a 5 minute stop, you can team up with another driver to share expenses.

For entry information, go to: http://www.motorspor...90#.UZ0ADfUr74S

• Glenn likes this

DrDomm

DrDomm

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts
  • Region:NER
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:46

I'm not in the Southeast, but would SM's running in STL be following the same rule?

Domm Leuci
--because someone commented that we should all post our names, and not be anonymous. I agree.
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Mike Collins

Mike Collins

Big Cheese

• Moderators
  • 1,262 posts
  • Region:Washington DC
  • Car Number:75

This was allowed at the SARRC/MARRS double at VIR, it worked very well.  As was the "new" inadvertent pass under yellow with pass back....

• Glenn likes this
Mike "MEATHEAD" Collins
Founder - Partner
MEATHEADRacing
240-476-1593

www.meatheadracing.com
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Sugar Daddy - Made PayPal donation of $500+ Donor - Made PayPal donation Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. MX5 Cup Participant - Has Participated in a MX5Cup.com Series Event Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

Keith Andrews

Keith Andrews

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts
  • Region:CCR, SE
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:26

Jim, that's great and thank you for your efforts.  

Like Mike said the driver meeting and rules update at the SARRC/MARRS Challenge was well received by all the drivers.  

If you're not careful the the SCCA is going to start to be known for listening to it's members (customers)   :)

Again, thank you and the other officials willing to try this change.

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

This was allowed at the SARRC/MARRS double at VIR, it worked very well.  As was the "new" inadvertent pass under yellow with pass back....

Can you elaborate on the pass under yellow??

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts

CS announced that if you passed under a standing yellow, and gave the position back after the fact, there would be no penalty.

Not crazy about this ruling. I think the potential for a penalty/loss of position encourages drivers to pay attention to the flag stands. There's already to many folks racing with blinders on.

• Anthony Ralston likes this
2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion

Jim Creighton

Jim Creighton

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts

Looks like a great turnout for the Double Double at Roebling Road with 30 SM already signed up. As I said, I have asked and received permission for the SM drivers to offer assistance in forward motion of the straights during the race. If this goes well, we will discuss it at our mid year Divisional meeting and attempt to make it a division wide policy. I hope as many of you that can make this event will come. A big entry will help me convince the other Region officials that this is something that SM drivers want and will support with their entry fees.

Looking forward to seeing some great fun races.

BTW, we will also use the pass under yellow give back. In simple words, if you make a pass under a standing yellow and give the position back right away, there will be no penalty.

• Chris Fulton, JBlaisdell, Danny Steyn and 3 others like this

JBlaisdell

JBlaisdell

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts
  • Region:83
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:65

Jim,

These are excellent examples of listening to what the customer wants and taking appropriate action. Big kudo's to you and the Region officials for adopting these changes. Common sense goes a long way this day in age.

I'm signed-up and glad to come out and play for the weekend.

• Grant MacDonald likes this

Jim Blaisdell
G$ Munson Driver Coaching Student/Client
jblaisdell65@gmail.com

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts

Just curious - were people requesting a "forgiveness rule" for ignoring yellow flags?

2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion

Jim Creighton

Jim Creighton

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts

I'm not sure where the forgiveness request came from. Actually, I think the Stewards may have come up with this one on there own. I do know that Jimmy Johnson learned his lesson from NASCAR the hard way about the the no pass the leader on restarts. Rumor is Montoya set him up and he took the bait. It was Tony Stewart's idea. Sure was funny since Jimmy Johnson is perfect.

Brocodile

Brocodile

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • Region:SEDIV
  • Car Number:61

Jim,

Thanks to you and the Stewards for being responsive and pragmatic. The anti-bump drafting rule has always been honored only in the breach (you should have seen the bumping at the Sprints last weekend, despite an explicit prohibition in the Supps, all in plain view of the officials- no worries). It's time to bring the written rules into line with the "working" rules.

The standing yellow give-back also makes sense. Early in my racing career, I was inadvertently passed under a local yellow. The other driver realized what he had done, immediately slowed down and pointed me by. I took the spot back and got written up for passing under yellow myself! Truth is, the give-back should take place after the incident which prompted the yellow flag. Otherwise, the re-pass could create more danger than the initial one.

Skip Brock
OPM Autosports, Nelson Engines
2012 SARRC Spec Miata Champion
2012 SEDiv Regional Driver of the Year

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Creighton

Jim Creighton

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts

Sweet, 40 SM entries for the SARRC races and 26 for the ECR. And if you haven't registered and decide you want to enter, I'll pay your late fee. Just tell the registrar. We still have room for 10 more SM entries for the SARRC races. And if you look at the list, you'll see some big guns are coming. Weather is looking good with highs in mid 80's. Should be a great weekend for the 33rd annual SEDiv mid year races.

Keith Andrews

Keith Andrews

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts
  • Region:CCR, SE
  • Car Number:26

That's fantastic!  Wish I could make it.  Good luck all and congrats Jim on putting together another great event.   :toast:

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users