Joe (dad) Jordan

Joe (dad) Jordan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 310 posts
  • Region:San Diego
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:47

Rounds 3 and 4 of the Mazda Teen Mazda Challenge were at Buttonwillow Raceway Park last weekend. Six teen drivers took part in the NASA Southern California competition.  Tyler Vance,Charlie Hayes, Joey Bickers, Nova Brown, Christopher Murdter and Joey Jordan were the entered participants in this race within a race in the Spec Miata field.

Joey Bickers threw down the gauntlet in Qualifying for round 3, He put together a lap that was a full second and a half under the lap record!  The Iron Canyon tuned car was flying.  2nd was Tyler Vance, 3rd Charlie Hayes, 4th Joey Jordan and 5th Christopher Murdter.  Unfortunately Nova Brown had a mechanical issue that ended his weekend.  The teen challenge drivers were the top 5 in the class and were getting ready to race under 100 degree and bright and Sunny skies near Bakersfield California.

At the Start the inside lane got the jump with Bickers and Hayes followed closely by Vance and Jordan.  After the first lap the top 4 had already created a few second gap to the rest of the field.

By lap 3 Tyler Vance had squeezed by Bickers and Jordan had got by Hayes.  They were 4 cars nose to tail for the next few laps.  Jordan went inside of Bickers in the last corner leading on to the front straight, but Bickers would not let him take the position, so Hayes got a run and went by both of them. This allowed Tyler Vance to eeeek out an advantage.  Bickers and Hayes battled hard for the remaining laps, as Jordan fought a faulty ignition switch that slowed his progress(he had to cycle the kill switch to get it to run) Hayes made a few attempts to pass but Bickers drove defensively to keep Hayes Behind.  Jordan ended up 4th with Christopher Murdter taking 5th after an early off course excursion

Tyler Vance used all the in-fighting to drive a mistake free race and pull away to a 5 second lead.  He was fighting a slight misfire and the battles behind him allowed him to short shift and keep a 5 second lead to the finish.  Great job Tyler, welcome back!

Sunday Round 4

The Socal NASA Format calls for a qualifying race on Sunday.  The order of finish of Saturday's race would determine starting positions. The top 4 of the Spec Miata field were all Teen Challenge competitors, Chrid Murdter would start 6th overall and 5th in Teen Challenge.

The qualifying race saw some close battles.  On the first lap Charlie Hayes had a problem with his car, his cool suit malfunctioned and pumped his cold water all on the floor of his car, which made the Esses exciting to say the least!  Charlie may be entering the next Drift race at Buttonwillow.....Charlie pulled into the pits after lap 2 and would start at the back of the field for Round 4.  Bickers took the early lead followed closely by Vance and Jordan.  Eventually Vance got by to take the point and with 2 to go Jordan got by Bickers to take 2nd.  Chris Murdter would lead the rest of the Spec Miata field and was running 4th  a ways back from the lead pack, but ahead of all the other spec miata competitors.  The Main race would see Vance starting on the Pole with Jordan on the outside of the front row followed by Bickers in 3rd and Murdter in 4th, Hayes would start last in the field after his qualifying mishap..

Sunday's race was even warmer than Saturday, all the crews were very concerned about high temperatures affecting the outcome of the race.

At the Start  Vance took the lead followed by Jordan, Bickers and.......wait...... hold it......full course yellow,  some internal problem in NASA, caused a restart.  They went another lap under yellow and then reformed up for the restart....This time it was Vance, Bickers, Jordan in 3rd and.....Hayes all the way from the back to 4th on Jordan's bumper!

As the made their way through the fast riverside corner and approaching the wild Phil Hill section, Vance slowed Bickers and Jordan split him as they approached Phil Hill and were 3 wide! Yikes....they made it through but Vance was back to 4th.  Bickers came out of that scrambled with an 8 car length lead.  Followed by Jordan 3 car lengths to Hayes.  Vance was a few seconds behind with Murdter another couple seconds back.

Lap 2 and 3 were the same as Jordan narrowed the gap to Bickers by a couple of car lengths.  Hayes was now 1 second back in 3rd followed by Vance who was 3 seconds back of the leader.  Lap 4 saw Jordan on Bickers Bumper applying the pressure.  Hayes was now 2 seconds back fighting high water temps.  The air temp was 101 with a track temp of 124!   On lap 6 Jordan went for the inside pass in turn 1 a high speed 4th gear left hand sweeper with Bickers holding his line on the outside.  The pair went Side by side all the way through 1 and into the offramp which is a tight right hand 2nd gear corner, they were door handle to door handle through the tight right hander with Jordan on the outside and Bickers on the inside.  Jordan would be able to carry more speed at the exit and would gain about 2/3rds of a car length as they braked and downshifter for cotton corners, Bickers would concede the lead to Jordan.  Bickers would hound Jordan the rest of the way with Jordan leading at the Start/Finish stripe by a couple car lengths.  Hayes was in third now 4 seconds back with a fast closing Vance.  Vance would make up ground and then have his car start missing and fall back.  On the last lap Bickers closed to Jordan's Bumper entering turn 1 and was all over Jordan all the way to Phil Hill.  He tried to make a late braking maneuver got it wrong and fell back at the finish which allowed Jordan to get his first Teen Mazda Challenge win by 2 seconds.  Bickers 2nd Hayes 3rd 4 seconds back and Vance 8 seconds back in 4th.  Murdter would get 5th (6th) overall.

After 4 Teen Mazda Challenge Races we have 4 different winners!   Should make it an exciting championship!

Joe Jordan the turd.....Joey is IV or quatro!

Ran in Firestone Firehawk in a Miata in 1994

Speedvision Cup Miata's 95-99

World Challenge Miata in 2000 AT MRLS

Had 3 Rookie of the year winners "Rising Stars" In IMSA

Kids now racing...Started them in Lemons Miata we built into the 2013 Western Division SCCA Majors Champion!

6th at 50th SCCA Runoffs in SM OPM's Rental 01

2nd fastest race lap at the Runoffs.

2014 Teen Mazda Challenge (west) Champ!

2015 Pirelli World Challenge Round 15 Winner in TCB and round 16,17,and 18 Winner!

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:22

Joey, 

Congrats on the win.  Loved the write up, I am partial to third person narratives!

Shattering - For those who cant drink tequila NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Majors Winner - Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Todd Tagget

Todd Tagget

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 441 posts
  • Region:SFR
  • Car Number:42

Career in Journalism Joey ?? Great write up!!

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Joe (dad) Jordan

Joe (dad) Jordan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 310 posts

Thanks,

It gets confusing but this is the pain in the butt Dad  (joe) who watched the race......I try to tell it like I see it and here it without too much Bias!   I also here what the drivers have to say.  Joey is on here as himself and gets mad half the time I do race reports.  These West Coast teens need some write ups though, cause they are fast!  Really fun to watch them all grow as racers!  

Joey, 

Congrats on the win.  Loved the write up, I am partial to third person narratives!

• john mueller likes this

Kids now racing...Started them in Lemons Miata we built into the 2013 Western Division SCCA Majors Champion!

2015 Pirelli World Challenge Round 15 Winner in TCB and round 16,17,and 18 Winner!

Joe (dad) Jordan

Joe (dad) Jordan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 310 posts

FYI Joey is "Joey Jordan" on this site.  His uncle Jim Jordan( formely of Mazda who many on this site know) and I  are the crew.  Jim handles the mechanical heavy lifting as well as data  and I handle the chassis and setup.  Jim also runs interference and communication liaison between a kid and his dad when it gets tough :banana:   Joey works on the car too and has come a long way on his ability to communicate and set up a car  and general mechanic knowledge.  Very proud of this little group as we first built this car as a 24 hours of lemons car and have worked hard over the last 3 years to develop the car and driver and now have won an SCCA major and a Teen Mazda Challoenge race.

We have significant miata experience from our days in the Firestone firehask series, as well as Speedvision Endurance Championship in the old IMSA days in the 90's My avatar is a picture of those cars....Now I am old and too fat to get in the cars...yet  I am seriously motivated to loose the weight to be able to race again.  Thanks for the comments on the write up, but have way too many spelling and grammatical errors to ever be a journalist!

Joe

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99

Diont worry Joe, I it looks liek I  tyeach you some good Canglish :)

• Joe (dad) Jordan likes this

K. Webb
Powered by East Street Racing (Best engines in Spec Miata)

Driver coach, Spec Miata Prep shop, Spec Miata Setup

2016 Hard Charger award passing 12 cars runoffs 2016 Mid Ohio

2016 P3 RUNOFFS OVER 40 DIVISION LOL!

2015 First consolation prize Northern Conference Majors Title Pageant
2015 Winner Circus Cat Majors Road America

2015 Winner BlackHawk Majors crash fest

My Signature is still not as long as Danny boy's

Donor - Made PayPal donation Majors Winner - Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

Joe Sr....the kids will get over it! As in proud parents who cant help themselves :D  If he doesn't appreciate(at times)what you do(embarrassing him), he will eventually get it!. Life is to short to not enjoy and to share passions. Keep the reports coming!

On a side note, really a bummer the NASA Laguna event and the SCCA Sonoma event fall on the same day. I hear rumor of top west coast drivers who will be attending Sonoma...coming from north and south. Would have been great to get these kids in the mix!

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Joe (dad) Jordan

Joe (dad) Jordan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 310 posts

Ron,

100% agree.  I know that the Oregon Miata cage crew is coming and the San Diego Rush Group Clement Lee, Grant Westmoreland and Elliot Skeer are going to Sonoma.  Wish timing was different.

Joey's pretty tolerant.  As a 19 year old he is starting to get the PR side of things.   He is very appreciative of his support team... I just like busting his balls a little!   

Joe Sr....the kids will get over it! As in proud parents who cant help themselves :D  If he doesn't appreciate(at times)what you do(embarrassing him), he will eventually get it!. Life is to short to not enjoy and to share passions. Keep the reports coming!

On a side note, really a bummer the NASA Laguna event and the SCCA Sonoma event fall on the same day. I hear rumor of top west coast drivers who will be attending Sonoma...coming from north and south. Would have been great to get these kids in the mix!

Michael Colangelo

Michael Colangelo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
  • Region:Southern California
  • Car Year:1997
  • Car Number:23
Guys, it was a pleasure meeting you all this weekend. Thanks for welcoming the new guy to the NASA SoCal SM group.

I'm really impressed by the Teen Mazda Challenge drivers and their parents. Truly a great group of people. The level of driving talent I saw over the weekend was pretty awesome.

I got my azz thoroughly kicked by these drivers (and, well, everyone else :( ), so I need to raise my game in a big way!

Good luck to all of you headed to Laguna Seca!

Michael Colangelo

Michael Colangelo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
  • Region:Southern California
  • Car Year:1997
  • Car Number:23
Joe, Sr: great write up!

Joe (dad) Jordan

Joe (dad) Jordan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 310 posts

Michael,

It was great to hang out with you over the weekend, I hope to see you at more events in the future.  Make sure you get the data figured out, we will help you get up to speed!

Guys, it was a pleasure meeting you all this weekend. Thanks for welcoming the new guy to the NASA SoCal SM group.

I'm really impressed by the Teen Mazda Challenge drivers and their parents. Truly a great group of people. The level of driving talent I saw over the weekend was pretty awesome.

I got my azz thoroughly kicked by these drivers (and, well, everyone else :( ), so I need to raise my game in a big way!

Good luck to all of you headed to Laguna Seca!

Jamz14

Jamz14

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts
Joe,

I hope we can make it 5 different winners at laguna.:-)

Look forward to seeing you guys.

James
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

UCFBrett

UCFBrett

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • Region:NASA SoCal
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:25

That was a great weekend of racing, and I wasn't even there for all of it. I wanted to stay and race, but my daughter had ballet performances Saturday and Sunday, and I had to make one of them. 

We all need to get in the habit of pitting closer together, which I think will make the weekends better. Looking forward to seeing everyone again at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca. That one is going to be epic.

Mark

Mark

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • Region:Sopac

BW was a blast. Literally. Frigging hot.

We are looking forward to Laguna Seca. We would love to host a social / bbq for the Socal people that weekend. I don't know what NASA has in store for us in the way of a social event that weekend but I've never had a problem eating dinner twice :). Let me know if something like that sounds like a good idea and we'll start putting things together. Regardless we are looking forward to another great event.

Mark
markn@ironcanyonmotorsports.com
Iron Canyon Motorsports

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Joey Jordan

Joey Jordan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Region:SO CAL

I have no problem with my dad’s gloating.. I don't think he can help it and I am very thankful for what he does for me.  I just get a little bothered when people mix up who is saying who because we have the same name.. I’m obviously smarter, more sophisticated, and just better spoken then my dad and I don't want people to think that he is me and vise versa… It might hurt my image. ;)

Majors Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Majors Winner -

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

I have no problem with my dad’s gloating.. I don't think he can help it and I am very thankful for what he does for me.  I just get a little bothered when people mix up who is saying who because we have the same name.. I’m obviously smarter, more sophisticated, and just better spoken then my dad and I don't want people to think that he is me and vise versa… It might hurt my image. ;)

Gloating, bragging, teasing, poking...whatever drives our children crazy is what we seam to be good at...and we fully expect you to carry on the tradition! And yes, we do know everything :duck:  But just remember, even when you become the father or grandfather...whoever was here first and still kicking has first bragging rights :D

Don't be a stranger James! 

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99

I can seeyour point, the writeups are nice but culd be confused as another Ernie Jr. Story when people do not get it straight who is telling the story... 
We all know what kind of respect little ern got.  I think maybe J Jordan should be changed to Pop Tuttle, and you can stay with Joey! Or just like your avatar says you a student maybe Big J's needs to say Extemely Proud Racing Pops...   It is great to see that there is s much good goin on in California, some great DADS, who want to help their sons, but are also teaching their sons the right way.  I wish tat was always the case when it comes to DAD and son racers...

K. Webb