Charles Boehly

Charles Boehly

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Region:Finger Lakes
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:51
As we are all aware, the fuel pressure is adjustable according to the new 2011 ruleset. It states very clearly that the fuel regulator must be stock and unaltered.

SCCA GCR Section 9.1.8.l states:

Fuel system
1. The fuel pump and fuel pressure regulator must be
Mazda OEM parts and unaltered, but the regulator may
be adjusted freely. Any adjustable mechanical fuel regu-
lator may be used, but it may not be adjusted from the
cockpit. Unleaded fuel filler trap door and restrictor plate in
filler neck may be removed. Refer to GCR Section 9.3.26
for permitted fuel specifications and for the required fuel
sample acquisition port.

So, what is legal? I have seen some systems that modify the regulator. Some remove it altogether and use an adapter plate. Not trying to stir up any trouble. Looking for clarification.

Charles Boehly
SM #51
Charles Boehly
SM #51

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:72
As former chairman of the SMAC, I know what the rule is supposed to say. This rule is worded very badly and was NOT written by the SMAC, rather by either the CRB and/or BoD. I have already been in touch with Jim Drago about rewroding it to what we initially wanted. Give the current SMAC boys a month to get the wording worked out and I am sure you will see an errors and ommisions change.

Dave
x-smac

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

KentCarter

KentCarter

Future Never Has Been

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:91

As former chairman of the SMAC, I know what the rule is supposed to say. This rule is worded very badly and was NOT written by the SMAC, rather by either the CRB and/or BoD. I have already been in touch with Jim Drago about rewroding it to what we initially wanted. Give the current SMAC boys a month to get the wording worked out and I am sure you will see an errors and ommisions change.

Dave
x-smac

The moronic wording was pointed out months ago. I was told the language as just a 'placeholder' and would never become part of the GCR. That it became 'official' is ridiculous.
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:88
Long story short, (it appears, since not written correctly), you can modify your fuel pressure reg or put an adjustable regulator on.

There are a few different ways of doing it being sold in the classifieds.
Also a few people mentioned doing it on some different threads here about Fuel Pressure regs.

I'm racing NASA this weekend with an adjustable reg.
I will sure let you know if I don't pass tech.
J~
2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Cy Peake

Cy Peake

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
  • Region:NER
  • Car Number:7
It's open to interpretation and some will definitely take advantage of the poor wording. Just watch who...

-Cy
Supported by LTD Racing

2011 + 2013 NER STU Champion

Tom Sager

Tom Sager

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:94

Dave
x-smac

Dave, are you saying that my electrically powered regulator which gets input from my O2 sensor and tach is not legal?
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Zero9nine

Zero9nine

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Car Number:09
Can someone show me the original (oem) regulator that was being "modified" to acheive desired results?

Thanks
John

5X Racing

5X Racing

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  • Region:Florida
  • Car Year:2002
  • Car Number:5

Can someone show me the original (oem) regulator that was being "modified" to acheive desired results?

Thanks
John

I can! Contact me through the board message system John! Or, take a peek at the classifieds section above.

John Adamczyk
Owner/Driver - 5X Racing

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users