Photo

Volt values for Autometer senders/gauges (oil pressure/H20 temp)?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

Sphinx

Sphinx

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts
  • Region:ATL

I'm trying to run my water temp and oil pressure to the my Traqmate.  I am picking up the signal for both off of the back of my Autometer gauges (ie, from the sender signal to the gauge - I just ran a wire from there to the TM).  What volt values should I input into traqmate?  I can't find any info on the autometer website as to what their operating voltage range is.

TIA.

Jeff Wasilko

Jeff Wasilko

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 271 posts
  • Region:NER
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:08

Are you using the autometer gauges that have data logger outputs from the gauge? If so, I can help.

Sphinx

Sphinx

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Not to my knowledge. They have a sender, ground, and ignition connectors on the back.

• Marc Cefalo likes this

George Munson

George Munson

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • Region:Central Florida
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:27

I believe it's 0-5 volts. 0 being the lowest number on the gauge and 5 volts on the highest number the gauge reads. This is from memory is if that doesn't do it let me know and I'll dig through my notes when I'm not at work.

Adax

Adax

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • Car Number:49

You don't list which gauge you are using but I think they have the same internals as the Stack gauges. Output is 0 - 5 V linear but what 5V corresponds to you need to find out. You can get the Stack manuals here.

http://www.stackltd.com/support2.html

Alan Cross

My build blog

2017 SARRC SM Champion

2016 SARRC SM ECR Champion

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Sphinx

Sphinx

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts

You don't list which gauge you are using but I think they have the same internals as the Stack gauges. Output is 0 - 5 V linear but what 5V corresponds to you need to find out. You can get the Stack manuals here.

http://www.stackltd.com/support2.html

These are Autometer Ultralites.  They are at least 8 years old in case that reveals anything about their capabilities.

Adax

Adax

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

These are Autometer Ultralites.  They are at least 8 years old in case that reveals anything about their capabilities.

In that case disregard my post, sorry.

AC

Alan Cross

My build blog

2017 SARRC SM Champion

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

steve

steve

CFO MEATHEAD Racing

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • Region:WDCR
  • Car Number:90

I tried to do the same, albeit with slightly newer Ultralites.  I called
Autometer and they told me the Ultralite water temp gauge uses
resistance and not voltage.  I tried hooking it up anyway and used a
voltmeter to measure voltage from the sender against temp readings off
the gauge.  It didn't work, the readings were weird (voltage seemed to
drop as the temperature went up), and the Traqdash alert was either on
all the time or off all the time regardless of the temp reading.

STEVE

RussMcB

RussMcB

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • Region:SEDiv
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:57

Are you using the autometer gauges that have data logger outputs from the gauge? If so, I can help.

Jeff, your post caught my eye.  I need to buy a couple of gauges (oil pressure and water temp), and I'd like to feed my TraqMate, too.  This data logger output feature sounds like a great solution.

Do you know if it is only available with the Autometer Elite series?

On edit:  Google helped me find that. in addition to Autometer Elite series, AEM and Stack also offer gauges with DA outputs.  None of them are inexpensive.

Racer Russ
Marietta, GA
Former SM racer (now back in a formula car)

Barber 2013 Topless

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

George Munson

George Munson

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • Region:Central Florida
  • Car Number:27

What I posted above only works on electric gauges and I believe the signal comes off the sensor part that goes to the gauge. I just split that wire with one going to the gauge and the other to the Traqmate Data Box. The only thing I need to double check is the voltage values if that doesn't do it. Let me know.

Jeff Wasilko

Jeff Wasilko

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 271 posts
  • Region:NER
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:08

Jeff, your post caught my eye.  I need to buy a couple of gauges (oil pressure and water temp), and I'd like to feed my TraqMate, too.  This data logger output feature sounds like a great solution.

Do you know if it is only available with the Autometer Elite series?

On edit:  Google helped me find that. in addition to Autometer Elite series, AEM and Stack also offer gauges with DA outputs.  None of them are inexpensive.

The Elite gauges aren't cheap, but they're really nice. They also have the ability to be a warning light (the whole gauge changes colors, and then flashes at the upper limit).

Being able to log exactly what the gauge is reading is also helpful.

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
  • Region:South west
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:41

The Elite gauges aren't cheap, but they're really nice. They also have the ability to be a warning light (the whole gauge changes colors, and then flashes at the upper limit).

Being able to log exactly what the gauge is reading is also helpful.

+1

I went with the stack version, but they have the same feature set (high/low normal range set points, high/low danger range set points, multiple programmable relay outputs, programmable over/under/normal range guage colors, dimable, 0-5V outputs).  Without the datalogger output you would have to install a secondary sending unit for the datalogger.

so, really its a guage plus 4 warning lights (2 low, 2 high), and a second sending unit, all in one.  So, if you add up the costs of all the parts that are replaced by one guage the price tag doesn't seem so high.

-tch
Build: www.tomhampton.info

video: vimeo.com/tomhampton

Support: X-Factor Racing

I didn't lose, I just got outspent!

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Adax

Adax

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

+1

I went with the stack version, but they have the same feature set (high/low normal range set points, high/low danger range set points, multiple programmable relay outputs, programmable over/under/normal range guage colors, dimable, 0-5V outputs).  Without the datalogger output you would have to install a secondary sending unit for the datalogger.

so, really its a guage plus 4 warning lights (2 low, 2 high), and a second sending unit, all in one.  So, if you add up the costs of all the parts that are replaced by one guage the price tag doesn't seem so high.

+2 on the Stack Pro-Control gauges (which are the same as the Autometer Elite internally). They are worth the cost. I'm purchasing more for my new build.  Went with the more basic version for fuel level though - not sure who needs to datalog fuel level or have 4 warning levels programmed, especially with the fickle OEM sender.

Alan Cross

My build blog

2017 SARRC SM Champion

Dan Tiley

Dan Tiley

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  • Region:SEDIV
  • Car Number:33
The problem you're likely to have using standard analogue Autometer (or other brand) temp gauges without specific outputs for data logging is that the raw voltage signal is not linear.... in fact, it's not even close.  The extra money you pay when buying gauges with a data logger output is in the circuitry which linearizes the output signal.   I love my Traqmate, but was slighly disappointed that it cannot accept non-linear equations for external sensor signals.  My old Race-Technology unit did.  My solution was to use Autometer Elite gauges in my new car (as others have suggested), which have linear outputs specifically designed for data logging.  

My recommendation to you (short of buying new gauges) would be to characterize the voltage curve per temperature over a narrow range (say 190-210F) and set your two points there so that it's most accurate in the important range.    The data will be pretty close in that range but will be way off when it's cold, or if it starts getting hot in a tight draft or something.

Sphinx

Sphinx

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts

The problem you're likely to have using standard analogue Autometer (or other brand) temp gauges without specific outputs for data logging is that the raw voltage signal is not linear.... in fact, it's not even close.  The extra money you pay when buying gauges with a data logger output is in the circuitry which linearizes the output signal.   I love my Traqmate, but was slighly disappointed that it cannot accept non-linear equations for external sensor signals.  My old Race-Technology unit did.  My solution was to use Autometer Elite gauges in my new car (as others have suggested), which have linear outputs specifically designed for data logging.  

My recommendation to you (short of buying new gauges) would be to characterize the voltage curve per temperature over a narrow range (say 190-210F) and set your two points there so that it's most accurate in the important range.    The data will be pretty close in that range but will be way off when it's cold, or if it starts getting hot in a tight draft or something.

Thanks Dan, that's what I was afraid of.  Collecting data over such a narrow range is fairly useless, not to mention probably inaccurate.

Do you know if the elite guages use the same sensors as the other models?

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
  • Region:South west
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:41
The stack gages come with their own sensors.

-tch
Build: www.tomhampton.info

video: vimeo.com/tomhampton

Support: X-Factor Racing

I didn't lose, I just got outspent!

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Dan Tiley

Dan Tiley

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  • Region:SEDIV
  • Car Number:33

Thanks Dan, that's what I was afraid of.  Collecting data over such a narrow range is fairly useless, not to mention probably inaccurate.

The Elite gauges do not use the same sensor as the analog gauges, but correct sensor is included with the gauge (with 1/8" NPT thread).  The Elites are actually digital gauges with an analog (needle) display.  I'm not personally trying to push using Elite gauges... It's just what I used.  There are several others out there that will do the same thing just as well (ie. Stack as Tom and Alan suggested).

• Sphinx likes this

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

I log the gauges as well on traqmate. It isn't terrible, but not great.. Fool with it a little bit. I log oil pressure and water temp. I try to center the operating range.

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Sphinx

Sphinx

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts

I log the gauges as well on traqmate. It isn't terrible, but not great.. Fool with it a little bit. I log oil pressure and water temp. I try to center the operating range.

Jim, what volt values do you use?  I'm going to the track this weekend and will test it out.

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2
I dont have my car back yet, but I will check when it hits

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users