CruzanTom

CruzanTom

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts
  • Region:Southeast
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:44

Maybe Kyle is right in judging Danica's performance, but . . .

"Because I think it’s too late to learn."

Boy, I hope not. Danica is a lot younger than me and I am trying hard!

Wish I had her marketing muscle. :help:

Tom Hart

#44 SM and T-4

2014 SC Driver of the Year

2015 SE Championship Series Spec Miata Champion

2016 SE Championship Series Spec Miata Champion

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:91

Is there any real difference to being a racer born female, hot, and marketable vs being born wealthy?

I think I heard once that the Menard guys bought their way in?

If there's no difference, then should we give Danica and "gentleman drivers" similar amounts of shit?  Is it fair to give Danica shit because she is the only woman and therefore more unusual and interesting to talk about?  Is it fair to neg her if there's a big false hypetrain?

Would Kyle say Paul Menard sucks if there was a huge undeserved Menard hypetrain?

Is it fair for someone who has never played pro football to say a pro player sucks?

IS there hype around Danica?

(all serious semi-rhetorical questions)

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

Paul Menard obviously was fortunate to have been born into a very wealthy family and a father who loves and supports motorsports. However, Paul Menard is also very talented and while he may have had a hell of a start and backing from his dad, He can drive and is always right at the cusp of making the chase. Has won the Brickyard 400 and is the second best driver on Richard Childress racing, behind Harvick but better than Burton.  At this point less his fathers money, I believe he could get a ride in cup.  Denny Patrick could not. :)

BTW , Menard is 12th in points, almost in chase, Ahead of champions Jeff Gordon and Tony Stewart

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

Maybe Kyle is right in judging Danica's performance, but . . .

Boy, I hope not. Danica is a lot younger than me and I am trying hard!

Wish I had her marketing muscle. :help:

Tom if your Muscle was where Danica's is you would be going places.

• CruzanTom likes this

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:91

Paul Menard obviously was fortunate to have been born into a very wealthy family and a father who loves and supports motorsports. However, Paul Menard is also very talented and while he may have had a hell of a start and backing from his dad, He can drive and is always right at the cusp of making the chase. Has won the Brickyard 400 and is the second best driver on Richard Childress racing, behind Harvick but better than Burton.  At this point less his fathers money, I believe he could get a ride in cup.  Denny Patrick could not. :)

BTW , Menard is 12th in points, almost in chase, Ahead of champions Jeff Gordon and Tony Stewart

Clearly I don't follow nascar closely, but substitute a driver that sucks but is wealthy for my points then.

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

DES4

DES4

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  • Region:Central Florida
  • Car Year:1993
  • Car Number:93

...Kyle has always been pretty hard on Danica, he makes some valid points and is wrong in other spots for sure..

Bottom line, if Danica was Dan or Denny for that matter :) , a semi normal looking boy from Ohio with the same abilities she would have NEVER gotten even the INDY car ride...

Not too sure why Kyle has a problem with Danica; were it not for his last name, his own "marketability" would have been zero. He sure didn't get rides with Bud Moore or Felix Sabates on talent alone. Not by any stretch.

Dave Stine

"America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, bad-ass speed," -Eleanor Roosevelt

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

Wonder if Kyle would talk this way if the marketing machine drove a Richard machine.

Whose bank accounts would you think have more commas. Or a bigger number left of the million dollar comma.

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
  • Region:South west
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:41
To be fair, Kyle said that he wasn't any different from Danica. He point blank said he wasn't a good racecar driver.

-tch
Build: www.tomhampton.info

video: vimeo.com/tomhampton

Support: X-Factor Racing

I didn't lose, I just got outspent!

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

DES4

DES4

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  • Region:Central Florida
  • Car Year:1993
  • Car Number:93

To be fair, Kyle said that he wasn't any different from Danica. He point blank said he wasn't a good racecar driver.

Then he understands the phenomena, and he shouldn't be so critical of it. His career was built off of an association to the Petty name, not fan appeal. Again, something other than his ability to drive a race car.

Fact is (as I recall), he wanted to be a musician, and fell back on NASCAR as he couldn't build a career doing what he wanted to do.

Dave Stine

"America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, bad-ass speed," -Eleanor Roosevelt

screaming monkey

screaming monkey

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • Region:WI
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:65

Danica is every race car driver with a better marketing package. She has two full time jobs. One as a driver and one as marketing property that needs to be a poster girl for Nascar, Go Daddy, Peak...

She does job two because being relevant there allows here to try to be relevant in job one. In early 2000's she was in an Atlantic at RA after a mediocre qual on Friday until darkness with her crew, trying to make the car better for the race. This was before the marketing machine came to life. The only other team still working that night was AJ Allmendinger's after he wadded up his car in Qual. He wasn't there, just his team. Her passion about the sport is evident in her work ethic even though how she works now has changed since then. She's no Senna, but most aren't. Now let's talk about Marco...

• Jim Drago likes this

Richard Scott Mooney
"Warm up your tires, brakes and brains"

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts

2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Tom Sager

Tom Sager

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:94

I watched Danica in about 2008 dicing with Dan Weldon and some others in the lead pack at over 220MPH at Chicagoland Speedway for a good portion of the race.  No doubt in my mind that she is a very good racer.  

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

She handled herself better than most would have.

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Qik Nip

Qik Nip

Loose Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 413 posts
  • Region:Cincinnati
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:60

As a disclaimer, I cheered Janet Guthrie in the 70's and Sara Fisher in the 90's, but as I have said since she was in Indy Cars, Danica is not a great race car driver. As Kyle Petty said, she can run fast laps, but she lacks racecraft skills. She has been in the best equipment available for  decade and has been less than outstanding for those ten years.

Rick

P.S. Kyle is the one bright spot in NASCAR coverage.

2009, 2010 & 2011 SCCA Great Lakes Div. Reg. SM Champ
2006, 2009, 2010 & 2011 Cincy SCCA Reg. Driver of the year