Keith Novak

Steadily Improving Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts
  • Region:Northwest/Oregon
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:88
I thought I'd share this so someone doesn't do the same thing...

I was cleaning tech stickers and such off my helmet, and decided to wipe it down with carb and cholk cleaner to get the adhesive off and some assorted marks. It wiped the ink right off the Snell certification sticker, and will probably render it useless trying to get through tech. :(
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Lee Tilton

Lee Tilton

I wanna go faster!

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • Region:WDC - NASA Mid-Atl
  • Car Year:1993
  • Car Number:04
First, there should be a Snell label inside the helmet in the back behind the lining. Second, even if the ink wouldn't have come off, you may have compromised the integrity of the helmet by using the solvent.
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
  • Region:LVR
Manufacturers recommend a variety of cleaning methods. None that I've seen using solvents, all I've seen warn against them. If you are having an issue with decal residue some suggest isopropol alcohol on a swab, cleaning only the affected area and using no more than you have to. I use Simple Green for the shell and use a balacava to minimize sweat on the inside and a dryer sheet when it's stored to keep it from funkifying.

Keith Novak

Keith Novak

Steadily Improving Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts
  • Region:Northwest/Oregon
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:88
Thanks! I must have looked right past that other sticker.

I'd generally agree that solvents on helmets isn't recommended. Neither is paint or stickers really. A light wipe down with a rag on the painted outside once in it's short life doesn't cause me too much concern though. Fiberglass has pretty good solvent resistance, and this solvent is mild enough it won't even dull the paint. Still...not recommended.
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Niklas Falk

Niklas Falk

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:55
The helmets that are really affected by solvent and stickers are thermoplastic based ones (e.g. ABS hard-hats for construction, or Helmets from the 70's). Composite (glass/kevlar/carbon) have a hardened matrix that is not "dissolved" in the same way (or at all).
Imagine airbrushing a helmet that would react badly towards solvents...

But there are much milder things than brake cleaner to use :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users