Photo

.Hitler hears about the enforcement of the neat and clean rule- SCCA MARRS series

- - - - - No parity

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

Forrest Landy

Forrest Landy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Region:WDC
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:41

Yeah I'm coming I have missed to many damn races I am starting to twitch.

ill be there, coming out of retirement! :banana:

• David L likes this

Don't drive like my brother!

AW33COM

AW33COM

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts
  • Region:NE
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:78

I would recommend reading the other thread in the link that Trussell
posted. They seem to go a little more in depth about the rule and some
of the reasoning behind it.

The reasoning behind it is wrong.  They did not think this through.   Look at my situation:  I was wrecked and the quarter panel was damaged.  We fixed it, but I'm no body guy, so the quarter panel is not perfect.  It looks worse than the white Honda ITB car that was written up.  We did not fix it perfectly as that would cost about $1300.  I prefer to spend that money on my seat time. 

Now if I show up to Summit Point, (which I did before) I will receive a time frame to fix my car or else. All in the name of teaching me a lesson to avoid physical contact.  Great, but problem is I was the victim and not the hitter.   How is making me fix my body panels to perfection ($$) going to avoid physical contact in the future if the contact was not my fault?  About 50% of the damaged cars will be in the same boat as me. 

I run with almost everyone in the NorthEast, and it's true at SCCA we have the most banged up cars, but we're racing and not just driving around without passing.   Physical contact will always exist.  SCCA must find a balance between: nice cars, not pissing people off, many entries, reasonable rule enforcement, and etc. 

Another thing, rule enforcement should be plus minus the same across all regions, because the GCR is national.  That way we don't have to figure out what regions to avoid.  This eliminates out of region entries.  I don't see a single positive for the club.  If there is a problem with physical contact, enforce the physical contact rules and penalties, but don't penalize me for something that was not my fault. 

• David L likes this

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts

I concur with AW. The 'haves' can hand-off their car to the shop that maintains it, write a check and go on their merry way, show up at the next race with a repaired car. A mom and pop team like myself does their own body work, I do mine in my driveway. I've replaced doors, fenders, patched quarter panels and I've found that fresh bodywork is a wingnut magnet. Not only is it money I don't have, but TIME I don't have. So I don't obsess over perfect bodywork

There is no way my car passes WDC criteria so I won't be participating in their events. Good job WDC - your work here is done.

Keep'n it simple, keep'n it fun.TM

• MarekM likes this
2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Sebastian Landy

Sebastian Landy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • Car Number:49
I agree with both of you, I just thought that a little bit of background would help the people who don't know the sometimes crazy actions of the WDC stewards. Unless everybody already knows...

Don't drive like my brother

2013 MARRS SM Champion

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

David L

David L

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
  • Region:WDCR
  • Car Number:29

My damage was through no fault of my own as well, I am coming out and I am very interested to see if they send me to tech. The car has looked the same since the incident at MARRS 8 last year. Prior to that season I did all the body work new fenders and new paint, and to be honest I don't feel like doing it again I barely have enough money to race let alone rebuild the car every time someone hits me. 

You've been served - Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:88

(whispering) is anybody going to mention the 50/50 rule.

J~

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:91

(whispering) is anybody going to mention the 50/50 rule.

J~

NASA's rule?  I'd rather it was 200/100

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Muda

Muda

ComingToAMirrorNearYou

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Makes it real easy to have a wide car.  Tried it once, guys got real upset.  Not my kinda racing.

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

1 for Rob

0 for Muda

J~

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Muda

Muda

ComingToAMirrorNearYou

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Don't know how instituting a rule that allows you to legally chop a guy into the dirt would benefit a side to side contact problem.

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

Don't know how instituting a rule that allows you to legally chop a guy into the dirt would benefit a side to side contact problem.

Wrong answer, 0 for Muda. Would you like another guess ??

J~

• Rob Burgoon likes this

Muda

Muda

ComingToAMirrorNearYou

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 365 posts

No, through guessing.

Yea, lets make it based on fault.

Because so many times the result of contact that is documented contains a clear statement of fault.

Like maybe 10% of the time?

And let's track who gets to pound out a fender and who needs to put on new one.

H ell, the SCCA doesn't track contact so how's that going to work?

I got called into tech  at the ARRC two years ago for car condition.

The Stewart started giving me a real hard time about a dented fender, telling me that I wouldn't be able to race on Sunday.

So, I told him it was a rental.  He didn't seem to care until I told him whose rental it was.

Since it was one of his buddies he laughed and walked away.

How do you think this kind of thing would go down at SP?

The concept of adding cost to racing so that guys will be less likely to have incidents is highly suspect, IMHO.

The guys that have incidents tend to drive over their heads and try passes that are high risk and stupid.

They don't think about the repercussions before they turn in, they just do it in the heat of the battle...or the heat of the mist.

A few think that intimidation is an excellent defense and get very aggressive when you come along side.

Anyone whose been out there a couple of weekends knows who these guys are.

I was told who to watch on my first race weekend.

What we should be doing is investigating and more importantly tracking contact.

If a guy is having multiple contacts every weekend there's probably a reason for it.

While it could be the traffic he's running with, more than likely it's him.

His videos should be reviewed and action should be taken....whether or not there is a protest.

It's the only way to control the carnage.

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

Here's a clue. I'm talking about the subject of the thread, not racing room.

I'll give you lesson one in an hour or so if you don't figure it out.

There's 2 lessons.

J~

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts

The problem with NASA's rulebook is each region is a franchise and in some instances that I've witnessed the rules are enforced differently depending on which McDonald's, err, NASA region you're at. This thread gives evidence that the same thing happens within the SCCA.

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

It's not a regional thing.

It's in here from the NASA site.

http://www.nasaprora...m/rules/ccr.pdf

J~

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts

Yep, that's where the rulebook is, all right, but the regions enforce the rulebook... sometimes inconsistently.

Sometimes, regional directors make up rules.

Anywho, what's your point?

PS: which is going 50 mph, the tech inspector or the car getting teched?

Qik Nip

Qik Nip

Loose Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 413 posts
  • Region:Cincinnati
  • Car Number:60

This is what we get when old lady non racers deicde what racers need. Every year at my annual tech, they point out the same two dents (you know, the ones just behind the door?) and I promise to them fixed. Bitching aside, that adaptation was damn funny!

Rick

2009, 2010 & 2011 SCCA Great Lakes Div. Reg. SM Champ
2006, 2009, 2010 & 2011 Cincy SCCA Reg. Driver of the year