Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
  • Region:South west
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:41
Anyone know the story? I heard a rumour from PRI that they are no longer SFI 38.1...and, I checked the SFI site. Sure enough they are not listed there anymore (I was sure they used to be listed here:

Specification 38.1 - Head and Neck Restraint Systems
HANS Performance Products - HANS Device (All Series)
Safety Solutions R3 Device
Safety Solutions R3 Rage Device
Safety Solutions Hutchens Hybrid Pro Device
Safety Solutions Hutchens Hybrid/Hybrid Rage Device
Safety Solutions Hybrid X Device

source: http://www.sfifounda...manuf.html#38.1

I tried to email them, but I haven't received a response. I've left a message, but no return phone call.

ANyone know anything else? I was all set to buy one...but, now I'm not sure. That, of course, means I won't be buying one unless I can get an authoritative answer. Does anyone have a line on solid, reliable information?

-tch
Build: www.tomhampton.info

video: vimeo.com/tomhampton

Support: X-Factor Racing

I didn't lose, I just got outspent!

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Keith Novak

Keith Novak

Steadily Improving Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts
  • Region:Northwest/Oregon
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:88
I read on the Intraweb that they stop participating in SFI certification so they're not allowed to produce them with the actual cert now. Older ones do have the sticker and are still certified.
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Keith Novak

Keith Novak

Steadily Improving Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts
  • Region:Northwest/Oregon
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:88
Call someone who sells them, and ask if it has the sticker on it. That should confirm or deny all ugly rumors.
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
I just spoke with DefNDer on the telephone. I didn't get permission to release the name, so I won't.

SFI 38.1 certification is valid on all current and previous sales. Stickers are still present on all new devices sold.

They are not listed on the sfi foundation website above because they have not completed their testing for 2011, yet.
They are deciding on any design changes prior to initiating the test cycle for this year.

They DO fully intend to recertify in 2011 (for obvious reasons).

-tch

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

john mueller

john mueller

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

SFI 38.1 certification is valid on all current and previous sales. Stickers are still present on all new devices sold.

That should mean that if there is an SFI decal on it then it is SFI compliant.

I'd assume that no units have or ever will leave the factory until they get successfully re-certified for 2011.
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

forestdweller37

forestdweller37

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Region:Des Moines Valley
  • Car Year:1994
I communicated with DefNder via email and received a similar reply. Looks like everything's OK.

-Chris

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
Update: I just spoke with the same DefNDer rep. The DefNDer product has been discontinued, and is NOT being replaced. The company still exists and will continue to provide waranty support.

As before, existing inventory still has the 38.1 tags and is still valid. But, I won't be buying a lame-duck safety product.

-tch

Jonathan Ng

Jonathan Ng

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Update: I just spoke with the same DefNDer rep. The DefNDer product has been discontinued, and is NOT being replaced. The company still exists and will continue to provide waranty support.

As before, existing inventory still has the 38.1 tags and is still valid. But, I won't be buying a lame-duck safety product.

I can't find anything online, did they plan on telling anybody?

forestdweller37

forestdweller37

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Region:Des Moines Valley
  • Car Year:1994
Well that stinks...

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts

I can't find anything online, did they plan on telling anybody?

Honestly, I didn't ask that question. My guess is "not until all their inventory is gone."

-tch

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users