Photo

Thunderhill, turn 14 and 15, Potential safety Hazard ?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:88

A followup. I asked the chief of flagging why there was no flag in T14. It's because they had a standing yellow displayed in T15, so the protocol says that the preceding flag station need not display a flag. This is the current procedure that they follow for those turns.

Obviously this is not very helpful in this kind of situation because 1) the T15 flag does not actually provide any advance notice about the conditions in T15, and 2) the T15 flag station is difficult to see. One of the big problems with that flag is that it appears for literally only one second before you have gone past it. The other issue is that it is very far off to the side of your view at a time when your attention is usually directed forward to make your marks.

I have discussed with him the possibility that the T14 flag station echo any T15 flags. In general, I think that's what drivers are expecting there. Yes?

Also I learned that the other car hit the same pylon base that I hit. In his case it sent him around to end up on the exit berm facing oncoming traffic. He was just gathering up when I came around and got caught out by the same treacherous object.

Taken from this thread.

http://mazdaracers.c...he-crash/page-3

I agree Juan with having T14 echo the flag.

Also something need to be done about the barrels.

Everyone hits them, so either you can drive there and they shouldn't be there or if you can't hit them and you get penalize.

If they are going to keep the barrels, (which I wish they won't) Can we get a debrey or slippery surface flag at T14 ?

Phillip, Where's your video with the cone/barrel on the hood for a lap ?

:twocents:

J~

• Alberto likes this
2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:88

:rotfl:

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Alberto

Alberto

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Region:SFR
  • Car Year:1990

Taken from this thread.

http://mazdaracers.c...he-crash/page-3

I agree Juan with having T14 echo the flag.

Also something need to be done about the barrels.

Everyone hits them, so either you can drive there and they shouldn't be there or if you can't hit them and you get penalize.

If they are going to keep the barrels, (which I wish they won't) Can we get a debrey or slippery surface flag at T14 ?

Phillip, Where's your video with the cone/barrel on the hood for a lap ?

:twocents:

J~

I agree with Juan completely.  In fact, I thought that is what it was already doing.  That T15 station is uselessly invisible.

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users