Building a T4 MX5?

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

leisurehound

leisurehound

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19 posts

Hi guys, am new here but have been racing for ~10 years in SCCA, just not mazdas.

Am exploring building up an MX5 into T4 for 2014 and have a couple (well, lots) of questions after reading the pertinent sections of the GCR.

The spec line for the MX5 says a 6 speed transmission is an option, but in 9.1.9.2.3 is says:

"No unlisted models or factory options are eligible. If no specific model or options are listed on said line, the classified car shall be the base model with no options."

The MX5 base model comes with the 5 speed.  Does this mean that to run a 6 speed allowed on the spec line one must start with a Sport model and upgrade, or will the Club (or Touring) be legal? The options/upgrades on the Club are either removed (cloth top/shock/springs/bars) for prep into T4 or specifically allowed elsewhere in the rules (LSD).

TIA.

Mike Collins

Mike Collins

Big Cheese

• Moderators
  • 1,262 posts
  • Region:Washington DC
  • Car Number:75
Call me or email me
Mike "MEATHEAD" Collins
Founder - Partner
MEATHEADRacing
240-476-1593

www.meatheadracing.com
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Sugar Daddy - Made PayPal donation of $500+ Donor - Made PayPal donation Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. MX5 Cup Participant - Has Participated in a MX5Cup.com Series Event Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

trey

trey

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • Region:SCCA Houston
  • Car Year:2006
  • Car Number:5

I have a T4 MX5 ( 2006 with 5 speed ) , plans to race the 2014 season have fallen thru.

I've tested in DE's with both the MSR suspension and the T4 suspension. I haven't dialed in the T4 suspension on decent tires , but on the MSR suspension my times were very competitive in SW Division

leisurehound

leisurehound

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19 posts

An update to this.  I spoke with Ken on the Touring Advisory committee to the CRB who clarified this.  He suggested that even though rules state otherwise, the intent was that you can start with any model and race it as long as it doesn't have items that are not allowed.  Since the Club packages is about 75% of the MSR option, the 6 speed and the LSD already allowed on the spec line, it should not be a problem. 

I also chatted with him about reliability items for the car, which are allowed in SM5 and the MX-5 Cup cars that currently are not allowed in T4, specifically the RX8 Hubs and the motor brace to the RHS shock tower to help save the 3rd-4th gear sets & shift fork.  He suspected that items such as that would be looked favorably on by the CRB if there is no performance advantage.  He did mention you by name Mike, and suggested that the submission would be better submitted by you.  

He also mentioned a drop in weight for the MX5 for T4 in 2014.  Are you guys getting down to the 2650 without too much expense after adding the top, the cage, etc (and are not a welterweight yourself)?

Waterboy

Waterboy

MEATHEAD Racing Hitman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts
  • Region:WDC
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:15

He did mention you by name Mike, and suggested that the submission would be better submitted by you.  

He also mentioned a drop in weight for the MX5 for T4 in 2014.  Are you guys getting down to the 2650 without too much expense after adding the top, the cage, etc (and are not a welterweight yourself)?

He's no welterweight :) Sorry Mike.

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:88

Did you happen to watch "The Racing Insider" yesterday.

Joining the show to talk about some exciting news about changes to the Pirelli World Challenge - including an evolved class structure - is special guest Scott Bove, President of WC Vision and the Pirelli World Challenge Series.

J~

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Mike Collins

Mike Collins

Big Cheese

• Moderators
  • 1,262 posts

I will make the submission.

I can get to 2550 no problem.  Thanks TIM (FU).

Mike "MEATHEAD" Collins
Founder - Partner
MEATHEADRacing
240-476-1593

www.meatheadracing.com
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Sugar Daddy - Made PayPal donation of $500+ Donor - Made PayPal donation Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. MX5 Cup Participant - Has Participated in a MX5Cup.com Series Event Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

leisurehound

leisurehound

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19 posts

Mike:

Any chance you want to submit this for T4:

#12701 (Michael Collins) Allow Roadstersport Hard Top for SMX5
Change 9.1.11.B.3.p: p. SPEC MX-5 cars may run the factory optional removable
hardtop
or the Roadstersport fiberglass hardtop (Roadstersport p/n 21-1006F). The factory latches must be removed and replaced with positive fasteners. 

Mike Collins

Mike Collins

Big Cheese

• Moderators
  • 1,262 posts

Mike:

Any chance you want to submit this for T4:

#12701 (Michael Collins) Allow Roadstersport Hard Top for SMX5
Change 9.1.11.B.3.p: p. SPEC MX-5 cars may run the factory optional removable
hardtop
or the Roadstersport fiberglass hardtop (Roadstersport p/n 21-1006F). The factory latches must be removed and replaced with positive fasteners. 

It wont get approved for T4.  Its not a factory top, its a factory appearing top...I'll ask the CRB members I know first, but I kind of doubt it....

Mike "MEATHEAD" Collins
Founder - Partner
MEATHEADRacing
240-476-1593

www.meatheadracing.com

leisurehound

leisurehound

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19 posts

It wont get approved for T4.  Its not a factory top, its a factory appearing top...I'll ask the CRB members I know first, but I kind of doubt it....

Thanks for the perspective Mike.  If there is initial appetite to allow it would appreciate knowing.

Separately, what is the max width seat that will fit in an NC on the AWR bottom seat brackets?  Can you share what make/model/size seat you run so I can compare to the one I'm looking at?  Did you have to modify the driveshaft tunnel to fit an 'american' size race bucket?

TIA

Mike Collins

Mike Collins

Big Cheese

• Moderators
  • 1,262 posts

I am 6'4 and a 38" waist.  I have a simple Kirkey 17" road race seat in the car now.  We padded it for us to share in a 13 hour...  Fits EASY.

Mike "MEATHEAD" Collins
Founder - Partner
MEATHEADRacing
240-476-1593

www.meatheadracing.com

leisurehound

leisurehound

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19 posts

I am 6'4 and a 38" waist.  I have a simple Kirkey 17" road race seat in the car now.  We padded it for us to share in a 13 hour...  Fits EASY.

Thanks.

Do you reckon a 38" waist and a glass seat are incompatible?

wheel

wheel

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts
  • Region:KC
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:20

The 38" waist is no problem, it is the size of the butt that counts.  ;-)

Mike Collins

Mike Collins

Big Cheese

• Moderators
  • 1,262 posts

Thanks.

Do you reckon a 38" waist and a glass seat are incompatible?

We really did not have any trouble fitting a seat in the car.

Mike "MEATHEAD" Collins
Founder - Partner
MEATHEADRacing
240-476-1593

www.meatheadracing.com

Mike Collins

Mike Collins

Big Cheese

• Moderators
  • 1,262 posts

The 38" waist is no problem, it is the size of the butt that counts.  ;-)

And yes, I'm a world class a$$hole...but It still fits in the car ;)

Mike "MEATHEAD" Collins
Founder - Partner
MEATHEADRacing
240-476-1593

www.meatheadracing.com

leisurehound

leisurehound

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19 posts

Donor acquired today.  Its a 2009+ car.  Any weak points you guys would be willing to share? Know about the RX8 Front Hubs (which hopefully will become legal for T4), the rear wheel bearings good for 15-18 hours, replacing the plastic bushings in the transmission for the steel mazdaspeed ones.  Am planning to use the AWR radiator.  Is the thermostat still an issue on the 2009+ cars?  Any other advice for durability you guys can prevent me from discovering on my own?  The cup cars use the 2006-2008 front uprights, are the older ones really stronger?

leisurehound

leisurehound

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19 posts

Bueller?  Would appreciate any help joining the Mazda fold here..  Not looking for your hot setup, but rather help me save some money fixing something I can avoid.  Saved money not fixing breaking parts means more entries...

Tim

Mike Collins

Mike Collins

Big Cheese

• Moderators
  • 1,262 posts

You are spot on.  The cars are REALLY simple...they go forever.  The front hubs are a must do (even in T4) ;)

I don't have any problems with mine... 

Mike "MEATHEAD" Collins
Founder - Partner
MEATHEADRacing
240-476-1593

www.meatheadracing.com

svvs

svvs

do they sell spec training wheels yet?

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 518 posts
  • Region:NYR
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:12?

Hi OP.

I don't think you were being ignored, it's probably just because most of the active members of this forum are SM guys and production or IT guys.  SM5/T4 is very new in comparison, and is still growing.  I can probably think of about three guys who own them but are not on the forum.

That being said, if my 1.6L ever gives up the ghost I'll be taking a serious look at SM5.  I think a lot of guys are in a similar boat.

-Vick

Vick
www.volko.com
Black SM/SM2/"Slap Bracelet Throwback" #12 in the Northeast....if the car was made in the early 90's it should look like it.

1.6L forever!  Bring on your '99's and '01's!

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Donor - Made PayPal donation

Mike Collins

Mike Collins

Big Cheese

• Moderators
  • 1,262 posts

I know a guy selling a T4/SM5 now because he is building another one...  great cars.  I also know where another former Playboy now SM5 is just sitting if someone wants details hit me up.  Not a classified just know where some cars are sitting....

Mike "MEATHEAD" Collins
Founder - Partner
MEATHEADRacing
240-476-1593

www.meatheadracing.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users