- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

PiMan

PiMan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
What is the best and simplest way to pick up a tach signal on a '99 SM? I need it to feed my TraqMate but cannot see where to get the signal. Any help out there? Thanks in advance.

JayF

JayF

SM Racer

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • Region:North East
  • Car Year:1996
I read on the other site to pick it up off the diagnostic port in the engine bay on the driver side. Also you'll need a 1k ohm resistor so you dont throw a CEL. I havent install my MXL yet so I can't confirm 100% but that is what I had read.
-- Jay --
96 Spec Miata - Build in progress
North East SCCA

fishguyaz

fishguyaz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • Region:AZ
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:92
I just did this for my 99.

http://www.flyinmiat...sc/revlight.pdf

here is the instructions i used, and simple did a wire tap from the wire to the traqmate.
the 4th diagram down will show you the location of the wire if you cannot distinguish the colors easily.
green wire with the orange stripe.
it was really easy once i looked at it.
works perfectly.
Josh
Josh Pitt
1999 SM #92 SoPac division

HoneyBadger - BrianW

HoneyBadger - BrianW

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Number:59

I read on the other site to pick it up off the diagnostic port in the engine bay on the driver side. Also you'll need a 1k ohm resistor so you dont throw a CEL. I havent install my MXL yet so I can't confirm 100% but that is what I had read.

My experience indicates that you do not need the 1K ohm resistor for the tach input. I believe you are referring to the TPS signal. I picked up the tach signal from the back of the dash, just a straight wire tap.
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

JayF

JayF

SM Racer

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • Region:North East
  • Car Year:1996

My experience indicates that you do not need the 1K ohm resistor for the tach input. I believe you are referring to the TPS signal. I picked up the tach signal from the back of the dash, just a straight wire tap.

Duhh. Stupid me, Yea I was thinking of TPS.
-- Jay --
96 Spec Miata - Build in progress
North East SCCA

Glenn

Glenn

Mid Pack Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • Region:SE

I just did this for my 99.

http://www.flyinmiat...sc/revlight.pdf

here is the instructions i used, and simple did a wire tap from the wire to the traqmate.
the 4th diagram down will show you the location of the wire if you cannot distinguish the colors easily.
green wire with the orange stripe.
it was really easy once i looked at it.
works perfectly.
Josh

Used the same wire when I installed an aftemarket cruise control on a 2001.

Glenn Murphey, Crew Chief
Owner Crew Chief Services The Pinnacle of Excellence, Contract Crew Services for the racing community.
Soon to be back in the club racing scene for good ;)

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Cy Peake

Cy Peake

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
  • Region:NER
  • Car Number:7
Green w/ yellow stripe on the diag port under the hood on driver's side with my 99. I've been tapping RPM from that wire for 3 years for the shift lights on my G2X...no resistors needed. I tap the black w/ white stripe for my transponder.

-Cy
Supported by LTD Racing

2011 + 2013 NER STU Champion

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users