DrDomm

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts
  • Region:NER
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:46

What's the best way to capture throttle position with an AiM (MXL) system?  Use their sensor (https://www.pegasusa....asp?RecID=5121) or tap into the stock TPS signal?

Thanks.

Domm Leuci
--because someone commented that we should all post our names, and not be anonymous. I agree.
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

38bfast

38bfast

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts
  • Region:OVR
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:38
Just tap into the ECU TPS wire. The cost of a cable. Set the Chanel as a zero based potentiometer and calibrate. Very easy and cheap to do. Works perfect.
  • DrDomm likes this
Ralph Provitz
V2 Motorsports

bienc

bienc

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15 posts

I've had good luck with the PLP-005 plunger pot shown here:

http://www.4qd.co.uk/accs/pots.html

Just mount it near the throttle pedal pivot point and feed it a regulated reference voltage.  I figure it prevents the introduction of a new potential failure point in the engine management system.

Michael Colangelo

Michael Colangelo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
  • Region:Southern California
  • Car Year:1997
  • Car Number:23
Just make sure you disconnect the thin string pot cable before pulling your restrictor plate during post-race impound. It breaks easily. Don't ask me how I know. :(

DrDomm

DrDomm

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts

Thanks.  I'll prolly try Ralph's suggestion.  It's a winter project...after I change the clutch/rear main seal.

Domm Leuci
--because someone commented that we should all post our names, and not be anonymous. I agree.
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

DrDomm

DrDomm

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts

Just tap into the ECU TPS wire. The cost of a cable. Set the Chanel as a zero based potentiometer and calibrate. Very easy and cheap to do. Works perfect.

Ralph, could you elaborate on "Just tap into the ECU TPS wire"?  Which wire/wires?  Do you need a resistor?...found some posts saying you do to prevent CEL.  Where do you find the wires to tap into? 

Thanks.

Domm Leuci

38bfast

38bfast

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts
From off the top of my head it is the green black wire. I am not at the shop right now but I will get back and post tomorrow to double check. You can tap into the wire by the ecu or up near the connector going into the throttle body. If I am doing a complete install I do it by the ecu. If I am just adding one channel for a customer I will do it up by the throttle body. I have never got a code because of it and have done it over 100 times. (You would think I would remember the color). On the AIM cable clip off the sensor end. Strip back the white wire on the AIM cable, solder 18ga wire to it, heat shrink it up. At the ecu or TPS sensor strip back and solder the white lead from the AIM cable and shrink tubing it back together. Plug the AIM cables into a open channel. In RS2 it will be a 0 based potentiometer. You will have to calibrate it in RS2. Give me a call for more details or help getting this all to work. The first time can be a bit of learning curve. Google V2 Motorsports for the number.
  • Michael Novak and DrDomm like this
Ralph Provitz
V2 Motorsports

Glenn Davis

Glenn Davis

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • Region:WDCR/Mid-Atlantic
  • Car Year:2002
  • Car Number:TBD

I had just done the research for this.  Here is the thread that explains it for a '99.

http://mazdaracers.c...mode#entry25651

Seems like everybody recommends a resistor.  Be interesting if that's just a Traqmate issue...

DrDomm

DrDomm

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts

From off the top of my head it is the green black wire. I am not at the shop right now but I will get back and post tomorrow to double check. You can tap into the wire by the ecu or up near the connector going into the throttle body. If I am doing a complete install I do it by the ecu. If I am just adding one channel for a customer I will do it up by the throttle body. I have never got a code because of it and have done it over 100 times. (You would think I would remember the color). On the AIM cable clip off the sensor end. Strip back the white wire on the AIM cable, solder 18ga wire to it, heat shrink it up. At the ecu or TPS sensor strip back and solder the white lead from the AIM cable and shrink tubing it back together. Plug the AIM cables into a open channel. In RS2 it will be a 0 based potentiometer. You will have to calibrate it in RS2. Give me a call for more details or help getting this all to work. The first time can be a bit of learning curve. Google V2 Motorsports for the number.

Awesome...that's what I was wondering.  I'm adding this channel, so probably will just splice in near the TPS.  I've still got to get the cable, but if I have a problem I'll give you a call.  Thanks.

I had just done the research for this.  Here is the thread that explains it for a '99.

http://mazdaracers.c...mode#entry25651

Seems like everybody recommends a resistor.  Be interesting if that's just a Traqmate issue...

Ahh yes, I remember that thread.  Great diagram there...with colors.  Thanks.

Domm Leuci

38bfast

38bfast

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts

Cool my memory was not as bad a I thought. Green/black wire. 

Just for reference TPS is a very important channel to have. You can learn a lot from it. % or WOT, your trends with the loud pedal as well as good indications of car handling. It will also tell you when you think you were WOT in a turn only to find out you were not. 

• DrDomm likes this
Ralph Provitz
V2 Motorsports

JJ Servis

JJ Servis

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Region:Detroit
  • Car Year:1994
  • Car Number:51

Reviving an old topic.... I am setting up throttle position on my MXP and wanting to tap into the factory TPS sensor on my 94 Miata.  Wiring diagram is below, which wire should i be tapping into?

Attached Files

38bfast

38bfast

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts

Reviving an old topic.... I am setting up throttle position on my MXP and wanting to tap into the factory TPS sensor on my 94 Miata.  Wiring diagram is below, which wire should i be tapping into?

Red/black
Ralph Provitz
V2 Motorsports

JJ Servis

JJ Servis

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Region:Detroit
  • Car Year:1994
  • Car Number:51
Thank your sir!