STEVE HUNT

STEVE HUNT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Region:DC
  • Car Year:1994
  • Car Number:141

There hasn't been a ChumpCar post for quite a while so here goes. 

ChumpCar has done a major re-write on their rules for 2014-2016. They've done away with the AIV (Advertised Internet Valve) as a basis for assigning a value to your racecar. Instead they are using all the collected AIV data as well as finishing position data from previous years to assign a performance value to all eligible cars. The end result is: the cars that have done extremely well in past year i.e. BMW E30 and E36 will have a higher performance value than cars that did not finish as well. For example; many of the E30s now have a performance value of $500.00 and the E36 $550.00. This means the E30s cannot perform any mods and must run completely stock while the E36 will be penalized laps before the race begins. Here's a another example: the 90-93 Miata as a performance value of $325.00 while the 94 has a value of $400.00 which means the 90-93 Miata gets $175,00 of mods while the 94 gets $100.00. This doesn't sound like much money for mods but keep in mind the cost of the mods is documented in the rules and the cost is much lower than retail. For example: Non-OE sway bars are $50.00 for the front and $30.00 for the rear, a header is $50.00, Non-OE springs are $20.00 per corner. There are lots of other mods but that gives you the idea.

Anyway, I consider this a major improvement in the rules towards leveling the playing field. We ran our 90 Miata in the 24 Hours of VIR last August and did very well considering, the race was run on the Grand West course, we lost second gear during the first stint and lost a couple more laps for various reasons. We finished in 23rd out of 104 cars. The large majority of cars that finished ahead of us were E30 and E36 BMWs, there HP combined with the long straights just killed us. Still, the whole team was very satisfied with our performance.

One other anecdote: Our pit mates were in a 94 Miata, we were right with them in the standings around 24th as the sun when‘t down when they put their two World Challenge Pro drivers in the car. Jon Miller was one of them I don't recall the name of the other Pro. Anyway, they switched off all night, driving from 24th to 4th. These guys just don't slow down at all at night.

The 24 hour was our first ChumpCar event after doing two Lemons races the previous year.  I have to say I much prefer ChumpCar over Lemons.  ChumpCar is all about grass roots racing, the 24 hour was extremely well run and racing oriented.  Lemons puts way to much emphasis on silly themes, much to the detriment of the racing.  We've done our last Lemons race.

For next year we're building a 94 Miata to find some more HP.  We're already registed for three races, all on shorter Miata friendly tracks.  Hopefully between the rules changes and the shorter tracks we can take the fight to those cursed E30 and 36s.

Don't hesitate to post, there are a ton of other rules changes and Chumpy stuff to discuss.

Steve Hunt

Warriors for the Wounded #756

• Joe (dad) Jordan and Adax like this

Steve

Liberty AutoSport

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995
So what are the rules as far as the initial purchase of a car?

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:91

Yeah, lemons is way more art show than racing.

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Qik Nip

Qik Nip

Loose Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 413 posts
  • Region:Cincinnati
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:60

I have to agree with Rob. Our Chumpcar Team (Bored Legacy) runs a 1996 Suburu Legacy and we've done respectably with the car running P3 at Nelson Ledges when a broken axle ended our day, a 21st of 87 at the Spring VIR 10 hour, a 25th at AMP and two other DNF's with mechanicals. In truth, the series is at least as well run as any SCCA or NASA sanctioned race. The only downside is that you never quite know if the driver in that old Volvo next to you is Randy Pobst (as was the case in my last stint at AMP - or some guy who never raced so much as a go cart before. That uncertainty can make for surprises in the corners. Ergo, one has to drive these events a bit more defensivly than what we do the rest of the time, but it's truly fun racing. As the Chumpcar slogan goes...Real racing, really cheap cars. It's the truth. 

Rick

2009, 2010 & 2011 SCCA Great Lakes Div. Reg. SM Champ
2006, 2009, 2010 & 2011 Cincy SCCA Reg. Driver of the year
Powered by: Stewart Engines
Set up by: RAFT Motorsports

SM: The safest race car in the world. It can just
barely kill you.

Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

bienc

bienc

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15 posts

So what are the rules as far as the initial purchase of a car?

Start with the cleanest rust free example you can find.  Purchase price does not matter.  There's no expectation that your car has to be a POS.

Jeremy Mizer

Jeremy Mizer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Region:NeOhio
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:23

I was curious if anyone knew what a 1990 Miata in SM trim would be valued at? 

William Bonsell

William Bonsell

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 398 posts
  • Region:Northwest
  • Car Year:1999

I know this is a Mazda racers forum, but I have been curious about the best cars to use as a chump racer. I took a look at results from some Chumpcar events, but results do not show the type of car being used. Just laps, times, etc. Anyone know how someone could get a "Top 10 Candidates" list for putting together a chump/lemons car. Obvously, Miatas, but RX7's, Neons, old Mustangs, E-30"s.....and so on.

I noticed there are about 4 Chump events on the 2014 calendar in the Northwest. Might be fun, especially for older racers who are transitioning  from sprint racing.

Thanks.

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Qik Nip

Qik Nip

Loose Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 413 posts

I was curious if anyone knew what a 1990 Miata in SM trim would be valued at? 

About $3,000. I asked...

Powered by: Stewart Engines
Set up by: RAFT Motorsports

SM: The safest race car in the world. It can just
barely kill you.

Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Qik Nip

Qik Nip

Loose Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 413 posts

I know this is a Mazda racers forum, but I have been curious about the best cars to use as a chump racer. I took a look at results from some Chumpcar events, but results do not show the type of car being used. Just laps, times, etc. Anyone know how someone could get a "Top 10 Candidates" list for putting together a chump/lemons car. Obvously, Miatas, but RX7's, Neons, old Mustangs, E-30"s.....and so on.

I noticed there are about 4 Chump events on the 2014 calendar in the Northwest. Might be fun, especially for older racers who are transitioning  from sprint racing.

Thanks.

By and large, the 90% of the podiums are 3 series BMW's. The 2014 rules may however change that. 

Rick