Stix37867

Stix37867

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • Region:DMVR
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:11

After PRI, I've narrowed my list between the two and would like some sample data from both so I can play with the software some. I am leaning towards the new AIM MXG unit that was debuted at PRI but have always liked the Race Technology systems.

Race Studio does seem a bit easier to navigate but neither have very good sample data offered to really play with the software. Road America data would be nice but beggers can't be choosers.

-David Schroeder

Glenn Davis

Glenn Davis

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • Region:WDCR/Mid-Atlantic
  • Car Year:2002
  • Car Number:TBD

The MXG looks pretty cool.  Are you paying a premium for ECU connectivity?  What is the price point?

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Kevin Anderson

Kevin Anderson

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Region:NYR
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:22
I have both, the new aim is way better in my opinion. But I think it is hard to pass up the value of a traqmate.
Kevin Anderson
Kevin@techsportracing.com
www.techsportracing.com

38bfast

38bfast

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts
  • Region:OVR
  • Car Number:38
The MXL 2 will package much better in a Miata than the MXG.
Ralph Provitz
V2 Motorsports

Stix37867

Stix37867

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
I won't bother with ecu connectivity as the OBD-2 port is too slow for any valuable data. When talking to the reps at PRI, I believe he staeted somewhere around $2,000 but I could be mistaken as we talked to a lot of people.

I agree that the traqmate is nearly a steal for the price but I'm looking ahead beyond spec miata and would prefer to get used to one system so I can eliminate that learning curve. If I PMed you my email, could you send me some data to play with?

The MXG is quite large for the miata and I was originally interested in the Dash2 vs MXL but I grew up playing gran turismo and the MXG captures some of that. This dash reminds me a lot of how the games display lap timing so adapting to the visual side of it should be easy. I will still wait to make the decision till I can play with the display options for the MXG.
-David Schroeder

Randy Thieme

Randy Thieme

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
  • Region:Oregon
  • Car Year:1993
  • Car Number:51

I sometimes find the AIM software not as easy or intuitive as it could be.  But not having used other software I really can't offer a comparison.  AIM is certainly not resting on the haunches.  Their new G-Dash for the EVO4 is very attractive and it provides the onboard display otherwise missing from the EVO4.  And the EVO4 itself is very powerful and expandable.  AIM's new GT 320 steering wheel is definitely on my wish-list for 2014.  Programmable shift lights, four built-in warning lights, four built-in buttons, and a programmable display.  Price is heavy but if I can swing it then it will be in my car next year.  Whatever system you buy -do not- buy one without GPS capability.  Far more accurate speed determination.  Unlike wheel speed based calculations GPS is not affected by changes in tire pressure, tread wear, tire spin or lock-up.  And far, far more accurate track mapping.

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Glenn Davis

Glenn Davis

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • Region:WDCR/Mid-Atlantic
  • Car Year:2002
  • Car Number:TBD

I won't bother with ecu connectivity as the OBD-2 port is too slow for any valuable data. When talking to the reps at PRI, I believe he staeted somewhere around $2,000 but I could be mistaken as we talked to a lot of people.

Would be nice if they had a "cheaper" option for the non-ECU users.

Stix37867

Stix37867

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
Eh not a big deal for me. I plan to swap it around eventually so the extra options aren't all bad for me.
-David Schroeder

38bfast

38bfast

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts
  • Region:OVR
  • Car Number:38

Would be nice if they had a "cheaper" option for the non-ECU users.

The EVO 4 and dash 2 is $1399
Ralph Provitz
V2 Motorsports

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts
  • Region:FL
  • Car Number:39

Stix

IMHO the real yardstick of how valuable the data system will be to you is if you are able to get a LOT of data from faster drivers on a similar system.

Sure, having a sophisticated system with all the bells and whistles is great and will keep you inthralled and engaged (for a short period anyway), but I would trade that system anyday for a simple system where I can compare myself to others that are faster than me.

So get the data system that the others in your class are using (and will let you compare).

I LOVE Traqmate's simplicity and intuitive interface, but what I love even more about it is that here in the SE pretty much anyone and everyone has it and most will share with you.

I have used Race Technology and it took me a long time to get to grips with it. It is definitely not intuitive in the way Traqmate is, but once you start learning it and get familiar with it, it starts to show its strength. The greatest feature for me is the ability to compare a lap side by side with the data overlayed over two simultaneous video feeds. That in itself makes me want to consider it, but apart from a few in the NE using it that I know, it would be pretty much a futile academic pursuit as I would have no access to comparative data.

Danny
Danny Steyn Racing | DSR YouTube Channel
Danny Steyn Photography | Adept Studios | Ocean MachineryOPM AutosportsRossini Racing Engines | G-Loc Brakes | 

2 x SCCA Runoffs Champ | 1 x NASA National Champ | 6 x June Sprints Champ | 10 x ARRC Champ

1 x SCCA Super Sweep | 2 x Triple Crown | 4 x Hoosier Super Tour Points Champ | 6 x Majors Points Champ | 5 x SEDiv Driver of the Year

June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner -

Stix37867

Stix37867

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
While I could ask for data at certain races, I'm my area there aren't that many left in SM to trade data with. And as Ralph said he does in another thread, I planned to do the same and buy a solo for throwing in another car. A big reason though that I want a more advanced system is because I plan to add a mechanical engineering degree to my resumé starting next year so learning to use this while in school will be fun.
-David Schroeder

Tom Sager

Tom Sager

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Number:94

While I could ask for data at certain races, I'm my area there aren't that many left in SM to trade data with. And as Ralph said he does in another thread, I planned to do the same and buy a solo for throwing in another car. A big reason though that I want a more advanced system is because I plan to add a mechanical engineering degree to my resumé starting next year so learning to use this while in school will be fun.

I've got lots of AIM data from Road America and Blackhawk from a '95 SM which might be useful to you.  If you want to send me a private message, we can exchange more details.  

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

bienc

bienc

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15 posts

I have some Race Technology data from Road America and some other tracks in the area that I could share.  PM me if you're interested.

Stix37867

Stix37867

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
Thank you both. I have sent you each a PM.
-David Schroeder

TrailBrake

TrailBrake

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

I have gathered lots of AiM data at www.trailbrake.net that you can play with. The Mont Tremblant data has shock pots on it as well.

Data collection wise, you could probably get everything you need from an MXL Pista. The MXL2 will add increased memory (but the memory stick is still great), higher sampling rates on the data hubs and overall, increased display options with more configurable lights, wireless download, higher overall sampling rate, onboard math channels, and some more options I can't remember right now. The MXG is the same basic guts as the MXL2, a bigger display, full color, totally configurable display, 8 alarms versus 6, and the rest of the MXL2 features. The Evo5 will be the same guts but without the display, but you can hook it to a MXL display, G Dash, or steering wheel. Prices for the MXL2 will be around $2k and the MXG should be $2,600.

The most important thing is that you are comfortable with the software and use it. The software is really more important than the logger in many ways.

Matt Romanowski

www.TrailBrake.net

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users