RazerX

RazerX

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts
  • Region:N. Cal
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:11

Ok, Is someone building a NB out of a CA donor car that with that registration current or recently not current?  Meaning not salvaged, not junked.  If so I would like to swap VIN tags.  There is some $$$ in it.

Back story...

I drove my last car to the track, which i sold.  My new car was an out of state SM that came with a salvage title.  Registering it CA is a nightmare because it has a salvage title.

1. Do a brake and light test with DMV.  (which may or may not require me to put on OEM seat belts and re install the air bag system).  
  2. Do check with the CHP where they verify the VIN numbers on the chassis, engine, diff, doors, fenders, hood, trunk and perhaps validate the OEM belts and air bag system
  3. Then SMOG.

I am not worried about the smog but given this is a race car (with verifiable / legitimate background) i don't have receipts for all the different body panels, motors, tranny, etc.  Not that many who sell them even from the shops(RE, East Street, Robello) ever give you a receipt with a VIN number for a tranny or engine.

So, given 99% of SM go on a trailer and are never on the street, never registered, I would like to swap the dash VIN tag and registration thus to DMV it would look like i purchased a maita and would pay any registration back bills and handle smog.  My VIN tags would be yours, not that you'll ever need them for a SM that is trailered to the track.

Help a SM racer out!

PM me if interested.

- Speed

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

Are you aware the VIN is stamped in the front firewall on the passengers side?

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

Swapping VINs on a car that you intend on registering is illegal. It is also punishable by JAIL TIME! This is NOT something you want to fool with if you have ANY intentions of registering or driving on the street! You are asking for problems.

ANY used Miata part that comes from my salvage yard has a vin number on the receipt. You should delete your original post and this topic IMO.

• Dirt Surfer likes this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Alberto

Alberto

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Region:SFR
  • Car Year:1990

Sell it and buy a car you can register in CA.

• Johnny D likes this
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

Sell it and buy a car you can register in CA.

Even cheaper to buy an older but low mileage tow vehicle and basic open trailer! I have a low mileage Yukon XL that would be great! :)

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:72

What Jim said. You don't want to get caught up in this trick bag. It may take you years to get out of it. I unintentionally got involved in a similar situation with a used Chevy I sold years ago. Took almost 2 years and lots of paperwork to get it straightened out. Car titles and VIN numbers are nothing to screw around with.

Dave

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Marc Cefalo

Marc Cefalo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • Region:NEPA
  • Car Year:1997
  • Car Number:#00

Swapping VINs on a car that you intend on registering is illegal. It is also punishable by JAIL TIME! This is NOT something you want to fool with if you have ANY intentions of registering or driving on the street! You are asking for problems.

ANY used Miata part that comes from my salvage yard has a vin number on the receipt. You should delete your original post and this topic IMO.

agreed, this is the biggest can of worms I`ve ever seen someone write about publicly on a forum.  DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES EVER THINK OF DOING THIS. Just like clocking odometers backwards, this is a HUGE DEAL.  For people like Jim and myself, getting involved with VIN swaps is a felony. 

• Michael Colangelo likes this

Marc Cefalo

www.planet-miata.com

570-262-1013 direct

#1 source for new and used Miata parts and accessories.

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

DrDomm

DrDomm

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts
  • Region:NER
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:46

Wow, best thread of the day.

• svvs likes this
Domm Leuci
--because someone commented that we should all post our names, and not be anonymous. I agree.
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Chad Martin

Chad Martin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • Region:Midwest
  • Car Year:1989
  • Car Number:38

I'd steer well clear of any such dealings.  Not worth it.  If it were me i'd sell that car, especially living in the democratic people's republic of kalifornia.

Sell it or make it a trailer queen...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users