Chad Martin

Chad Martin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • Region:Midwest
  • Car Year:1989
  • Car Number:38

Looking at the practice and qualifying times the mazda diesel prototypes are running the slowest times on the track...in the fastest class...how can you be a serious pro race team and be 10 sec off the pace?

I'm a fan of speedsource but jeez guys...

What is the malfunction here?  Why bother showing up?

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts

Kinda like showing up to a 99+ race in a 1.6.

Maybe all the other teams will break.

• john mueller likes this
2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Joe (dad) Jordan

Joe (dad) Jordan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 310 posts
  • Region:San Diego
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:47

Good to see spec miata races Todd Buras and one of the LAndy's running the new Hyundai in CTSCC.  Race is today on Fox Sports 2

Joe Jordan the turd.....Joey is IV or quatro!

Ran in Firestone Firehawk in a Miata in 1994

Speedvision Cup Miata's 95-99

World Challenge Miata in 2000 AT MRLS

Had 3 Rookie of the year winners "Rising Stars" In IMSA

Kids now racing...Started them in Lemons Miata we built into the 2013 Western Division SCCA Majors Champion!

6th at 50th SCCA Runoffs in SM OPM's Rental 01

2nd fastest race lap at the Runoffs.

2014 Teen Mazda Challenge (west) Champ!

2015 Pirelli World Challenge Round 15 Winner in TCB and round 16,17,and 18 Winner!

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts

DVR'd

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:88

Great story, Sgt Liam Dwyer racing with his prosthetic leg for Freedom Auto Sports

http://www.theautoch...-autosport.html

Semper Fi Hoorah !!!

J~

• Alberto, Michael Colangelo and 2nd time like this
2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

You think they made the right call ?? 

Ferrari was all over, missed the bus stop a few laps before. Hit the Audi screwing up their alignment.

https://www.youtube....h?v=GDaJYncoGO8

A last-lap judgment call by International Motor Sports Association (IMSA) officials ostensibly made winners of Audi drivers Spencer Pumpelly, Markus Winkelhock, Nelson Canache Jr. and Tim Pappas in the GT Daytona class.

Winkelhock appeared to have been forced off the track in the infield by No. 555 Ferrari F458 Italia driver Alessandro Pier Guidi as the cars streaked through the infield. Though the Ferrari was first to the checkered flag, IMSA initially imposed a stop-plus-75-second penalty on the No. 555, enough to give the victory to the No. 45 Audi.

But after further review, IMSA reversed the ruling and awarded the win to the Ferrari team, which also included Scott Tucker, Jeff Segal, Townsend Bell and Bill Sweedler. The Audi team was relegated to second place.

Scot Elkins, IMSA's vice president of competition and technical regulations, provided the following statement regarding the decision.

"A full post-race review of the incident on the last lap of the 52nd Rolex 24 At Daytona was completed by IMSA Supervisory Officials. The decision has been made to reverse the decision by the race director, rescind the penalty against the No. 555 Level 5 Motorsports Ferrari 458 Italia team, and reinstate drivers Scott Tucker, Bill Sweedler, Townsend Bell, Jeff Segal and Alessandro Pier Guidi as the GT Daytona class winners. We regret the confusion following the race, and appreciate the patience by our fans, drivers, teams and the media so we could properly review and subsequently report this decision."

J~

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Jim Creighton

Jim Creighton

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  • Region:Atlanta
  • Car Number:53

I really admire the officials for reviewing the incident and reversing their original decision. There was no contact between the two cars and the car with the inside line was the only one who was going to be able to get through there and stay on the pavement.

Too may times in the past, officials have made a poor decision and then refused to correct it. Today, with instant replay and numerous camera angles, it should be used in more sports. I saw a recent bad call in a football game that cost the team a trip to the super bowl. Since it was a "non review" situation, the officials went with their on the field call while instant replay clearly showed they were wrong.

Isn't it amazing that after 24 hours of racing, the over all winner won by less than 4 seconds and this incident decided this class winner. Too bad Comcast doesn't carry Fox 2 and we only got to see the start and finish. Figured this would be what happened when Speed went away.

• Johnny D likes this

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

Too may times in the past, officials have made a poor decision and then refused to correct it. Today, with instant replay and numerous camera angles, it should be used in more sports. I saw a recent bad call in a football game that cost the team a trip to the super bowl. Since it was a "non review" situation, the officials went with their on the field call while instant replay clearly showed they were wrong.

I don't follow football all that much but I saw that. I was all "Are you kidding me" WTF, why aren't they doing instant reply. Hopefully not as sad for this game coming up.   :disc:

J~

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts

Easy for me to say from a keyboard but I have to wonder why Wickelhock went for the pass in the kink. May have been better to stay on the Ferrari's bumper in the infield and then draft for the pass on the banks.

Ferrari got f'd out of their victory celebration.

PS: Fox Sports blows goats.

Sebastian Landy

Sebastian Landy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • Region:WDC
  • Car Number:49

From what I saw the Ferrari had the speed on the banking, and Winkelhock probably felt that the infield was his only chance to take an advantage. Either way both of them knew what was going to happen when they went into the kink. Must have been awkward to give back those watches...

Don't drive like my brother

2013 MARRS SM Champion

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

wheel

wheel

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts
  • Region:KC
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:20

Speaking of Fox, how many times did they run a couple of minutes of commercials, come back to coverage for about :60, and then go to another big block of commercials?  Thanks to the DVR I was able to watch without going insane.

wheel

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts

Wheel - you notice that too?!? The biggest pisser is trying to find all the channels that an event will be broadcast. For the 24 Hours it was the local fox affiliate, Fox Sports1 and Fox Sports2. The recent Barrett-Jackson auctions were on FS1, FS2 and National Geographic channel (?!). And of course in 2013 if you didn't pay attention then you missed F1 qualifying which for some reason was occasionally on MSNBC (??!!)

I want my Speeds back!

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

Easy for me to say from a keyboard but I have to wonder why Wickelhock went for the pass in the kink. May have been better to stay on the Ferrari's bumper in the infield and then draft for the pass on the banks.

Ferrari got f'd out of their victory celebration.

PS: Fox Sports blows goats.

I think Winklehock drove the wheels off that car and the Ferrari driver, well not so much. I think the race was over for the Audi regardless as the Ferrrai had way too much legs on the banking. The only way the Ferrari was losing was if they missed the bus stop again or something similar. I have only been to Daytona once. Winklehock had a great idea, set him up great for the over under in first Horseshoe, stayed on the outside of the kink and would have had the inside for the next Horseshoe. I'm just not sure you can make that corner two wide at speed?
My Monday morning QB review is they made the right call reversing the original decision. There was no contact and on the line the Audi was taking, I am not so sure he drove wide to avoid contact or just simply could not hold that line? If the Ferrari driven in wide or made contact, I would have sided with original decision.
Jim

The one that really pissed me off was the idiot that cost Joey hand a shot at the win. with 1-2 to go, Joey hand was really gaining on the Porsche. Joey around the outside of a lapper while violently flashing his lights for a few corners, the lapper drifted right up into Joeys path on banking. Joey brushed wall and slammed on brakes. Game over :(
  • svvs and mhiggins10 like this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

mhiggins10

mhiggins10

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts
  • Region:SOWDIV
  • Car Year:1990

That basically killed the BMWs race. Damn shame- I'm betting that was not the pro driver in the car.  Just goes to show endurance racing is a cruel mistress.

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

wheel

wheel

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts
  • Region:KC
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:20

I agree about Joey's deal.  That, of course, is all part of the multi-class racing with some drivers who should not be out there in any class.  On the last lap those back markers should be waaaaay out of the way and watching the cars behind. It's not like they are going to come from 29 laps down on the last lap.

wheel

svvs

svvs

do they sell spec training wheels yet?

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 518 posts
  • Region:NYR
  • Car Number:12?

Watching the joey deal at the end I yelled and closed my eyes.  He had big time closing speed on that Ferrari.  Real bad deal.

Vick
www.volko.com
Black SM/SM2/"Slap Bracelet Throwback" #12 in the Northeast....if the car was made in the early 90's it should look like it.

1.6L forever!  Bring on your '99's and '01's!

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Donor - Made PayPal donation

EricJ

EricJ

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Region:Texas

Wheel - you notice that too?!? The biggest pisser is trying to find all the channels that an event will be broadcast. For the 24 Hours it was the local fox affiliate, Fox Sports1 and Fox Sports2. The recent Barrett-Jackson auctions were on FS1, FS2 and National Geographic channel (?!). And of course in 2013 if you didn't pay attention then you missed F1 qualifying which for some reason was occasionally on MSNBC (??!!)

I want my Speeds back!

Found a site that helps: http://www.tvracer.com/

They only put up detailed schedules two days out.

DrDomm

DrDomm

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts
  • Region:NER
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:46

I saw the Audi deal differently.  He was fully alongside the Ferrari, and was forced off course to avoid contact.  He was not given "racing room".  I think that happens all the time, and I don't agree with it.  I don't buy the "it was my corner" argument.

Yes, I drive an Audi or 2.

Best wishes to Memo Gidley.  That's the 2nd horrific crash (that I'm aware of) in his career.  He hit the old Billy Mitchell Bridge at Road America in a Champcar at good speed years back.

Domm Leuci
--because someone commented that we should all post our names, and not be anonymous. I agree.
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Creighton

Jim Creighton

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  • Region:Atlanta
  • Car Number:53

I can guarantee you that he was not forced off the track. There is no way you can get through that turn at the speed he was going that far off the line. Sure he was up and even a little by, but it does you no good to pass someone if you are going to run out of track in the process.

Come run the 2015 Runoffs and you'll see what I mean.

Bruce Wilson

Bruce Wilson

Gold Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts
  • Region:Oregon
  • Car Number:68

I saw the Audi deal differently.  He was fully alongside the Ferrari, and was forced off course to avoid contact.  He was not given "racing room".  I think that happens all the time, and I don't agree with it.  I don't buy the "it was my corner" argument.

Racing room rule is pretty exclusive to SCCA, which, imho is by far the best rule.  But even that is hard to enforce without some kind of contact.  I haven't read their rules, but I think the reversal was the right decision.  I was yelling when the lapper killed Hand's momentum!

I have an opinion so I must be right

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Survivalist - Won 25 Hours at Thunderhill! We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users